Safari

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
mattad

Re: Safari

Post by mattad »

You sound like the plans for supporting Safari are gone? Is that the case? :(

I think that supporting a platform should solely depend on how large it's market share is overall - across all platforms - even if it does not support all of them. While a browser's cross-platform support is generally desirable, I personally think that this won't matter as much as the market share:

i.e. Opera may be cross platform but it's market share is so low that even if you combine their user base over all platforms it would be smaller than Safari's user base. Hence developing for Safari should be more desirable than developing for Opera as you would reach out to millions more of users which can support the project with donations. (I have no idea what your plans on supporting other browsers are, so this paragraph is just hypothetical.)

The stat's from findthebest.com are new to me because in the report that I usually read the Internet Explorer has the largest market share. Of course such stats depend on how you gather the information. Browser web traffic is not directly proportional to the user base - I assume. But I think discussing browser market share it a topic for another thread... :)

I have a problem following your analysis of findthebest's graphs. Where can you see that out of the 7% only 5.92% of users choose Safari? The 5.92% is in relation to all the users of all platforms as far as I understand. Therefore, I think that it means that overall 5.92% of the users use Safari. That would leave 1.08% for Chrome on Mac, Firefox on Mac,... .

Personally, I like to read the ArsTechnia article about browser market share: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... stay-flat/. They retrieve their sources from netmarketshare.com. According to these stats, Safari is among the four top dominant browsers for desktops. They say that overall the desktop browser market share of Safari is 5.26% which is similar to the 5.92% that findthebest mentioned. After Chrome and Firefox, Safari would be the best next option to support. Here are ArsTechnica's stats:

Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I am not an ABP developer and I do not know weather or not it will be ported to safari I was just stating my opinion (and the first market share percentages I could easily find).

Also Opera is quite popular on mobile platforms

See the following page for most popular mac browsers (stats apparently taken from gs.statcounter.com / arstechnicia.com / netmarketshare.com)

http://web-browsers.findthebest.com/d/a/Mac-OS-X
bcomnes

Post by bcomnes »

Hubird, you made a factual error. Safari also runs on Windows. Just sayin. :v Also, blanket market share percentages are never the best or only way to understand software usage. IIRC, didn't mac laptops sales grow a LOT in the US over the last few years, whereas PC laptop sales shrank? Walking into any coffee shop these days wouldn’t indicate that 7% market share. Lots of people use macs, and the browser can accommodate for plugins, it seems like there is room for ABP. I understand this is all anecdotal, but that’s all I can muster right now :oops:

I would be happy to see Adblock Plus on Safari because when I AM on a mac there are some invaluable plug-ins relating to HTML5 video only available for that browser, which have a real impact on extending the battery life (which is why I dont use chrome or firefox when on the mac). Not having ABP means I have to use the OTHER guys version of it, and deal with bull like Catblock and pictures of his wife.

I never liked the guy who took over the Safari adblock project. I think he also runs the wholly unnecessary secondary Adblock project on chrome, and doesn’t understand the concept of intrusive advertising because he includes it in his own extension! He just seems like an opportunist taking advantage of the slow progress of Adblock Plus to the other browsers, and the existing filter lists enabled by the fantastic development community at adblock plus and the lists it supports indirectly.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

bcomnes wrote:invaluable plug-ins relating to HTML5 video only available for that browser,
You mean something like this on Firefox

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/firef ... y-20120717

Or on Chrome

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/07/21/config ... y-feature/

Not sure if they work on HTML5 (not that I have seen much HTML5 in the wild).
bcomnes

Post by bcomnes »

Its not just a click to play plugin. It actually maintains a large list of websites that offers HTML5 on its mobile platform, but still serves up flash for desktop browsers. This plug-in, in addition to preventing flash from loading until you click, also swaps out a huge amount of flash content out for its HTML5 counterpart, if available. On top of this, it also uses the native mac video API (Core video I think?) to play the files far more efficiently (IE, less CPU usage) than using flash, or say, the HTML5 youtube player in Firefox for that matter. It works on windows as well, which is nice, but you lose that native API.

Either way, I support ABP for safari. I hope it eventually happens.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

First of all, Macs are sorely overrepresented in coffee shops; it's as if I were saying "Nobody uses Macs, just look inside any corporate office!"

Second, the AdBlock for Chrome project by Michael Gundlach is the primary project for him, while Safari AdBlock is a port of it.

Finally...this:
Safari also runs on Windows. Just sayin. :v
is not true for stable builds of Safari 6, although possibly the WebKit nightlies still run on Windows: http://nightly.webkit.org/
Also Safari usage is minuscule on Windows, and it has never provided a compelling case for its use on the platform (unlike "built-in" IE, "widely extensible" Firefox, "super-fast" Chrome, or "highly secure, tweakable, and quirky" Opera), which may be why Apple pulled the plug after 5 years of trying to gain a foothold in the Windows browser market.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.

Post by Guest »

mattad wrote:You sound like the plans for supporting Safari are gone? Is that the case? :(

I think that supporting a platform should solely depend on how large it's market share is overall - across all platforms - even if it does not support all of them. While a browser's cross-platform support is generally desirable, I personally think that this won't matter as much as the market share:

i.e. Opera may be cross platform but it's market share is so low that even if you combine their user base over all platforms it would be smaller than Safari's user base. Hence developing for Safari should be more desirable than developing for Opera as you would reach out to millions more of users which can support the project with donations. (I have no idea what your plans on supporting other browsers are, so this paragraph is just hypothetical.)

The stat's from findthebest.com are new to me because in the report that I usually read the Internet Explorer has the largest market share. Of course such stats depend on how you gather the information. Browser web traffic is not directly proportional to the user base - I assume. But I think discussing browser market share it a topic for another thread... :)

I have a problem following your analysis of findthebest's graphs. Where can you see that out of the 7% only 5.92% of users choose Safari? The 5.92% is in relation to all the users of all platforms as far as I understand. Therefore, I think that it means that overall 5.92% of the users use Safari. That would leave 1.08% for Chrome on Mac, Firefox on Mac,... .

Personally, I like to read the ArsTechnia article about browser market share: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... stay-flat/. They retrieve their sources from netmarketshare.com. According to these stats, Safari is among the four top dominant browsers for desktops. They say that overall the desktop browser market share of Safari is 5.26% which is similar to the 5.92% that findthebest mentioned. After Chrome and Firefox, Safari would be the best next option to support. Here are ArsTechnica's stats:

fanboy

Post by fanboy »

popularity doesnt really help here, I'm guessing Safari "extensions" are limiting compared to other browsers, making it more difficult to port Adblock to safari.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

mattad wrote:You sound like the plans for supporting Safari are gone? Is that the case? :(
No, this is not the case.
AppDev2.5

Post by AppDev2.5 »

So as most of you are wondering, Safari 6.0.3 is coming. So, will AdBlockPlus be ready for that?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

AppDev2.5 wrote:So as most of you are wondering, Safari 6.0.3 is coming. So, will AdBlockPlus be ready for that?
We haven't agreed on a date yet.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Is Safari support anywhere near completion? I don't want to sound needy or anything, I'm just wondering so I know whether or not to keep this website on my radar.

I use AdBlock for Safari, and it's really great, but from the looks of it, ABP is far superior. I could also use another quality extension since YouTube started blocking the YouTube5 extension that I love so much.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

We have started working on the Safari port very recently. The finished extension should have the same functionality as our Chrome and Opera versions. However, we don't have an estimated release date yet.
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

greiner wrote:We have started working on the Safari port very recently. The finished extension should have the same functionality as our Chrome and Opera versions. However, we don't have an estimated release date yet.
Oh man... Well, at least it's not dead. I understand it's not that big of an user base so, take your time. (But please don't :P) Until then, we'll have to make do with AdBlock for Safari.
illusionmist

Post by illusionmist »

Jonathan wrote:Is Safari support anywhere near completion? I don't want to sound needy or anything, I'm just wondering so I know whether or not to keep this website on my radar.

I use AdBlock for Safari, and it's really great, but from the looks of it, ABP is far superior. I could also use another quality extension since YouTube started blocking the YouTube5 extension that I love so much.
You should definitely try the mighty ClickToFlash, which is an much awesomer choice.