MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Improving issue reports: recognizing users

Post by MonztA »

I like the idea.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

How about having reports where users are using multiple over lapping subscriptions and reports matching a "known issue" being moved to the bottom of the list and separated in some form.
vinny86

Post by vinny86 »

I support as i have heard from nitrox and fanboy that most reports are kinda sucky !
If we could sort the reports by credibility or add credibility to the user, that would be nice :)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@Hubird: We already do that. There is some weighting so that they aren't mored down unconditionally but that's what already happens...
k2jp

Post by k2jp »

After users are properly recognized, I want something like "thread view" to communicate with reporting users.

Issue reports today:
User ====> Author (using Comment)
User <==== Author (using Status)
END

Issue reports in the possible future:
User ====> Author (using Comment)
User <==== Author (using Status)
User ====> Author again (using Comment)
User <==== Author again (using Status)
going on and on ... until its expiration of Issue Report comes.

==========
BTW I wrote other problems around current Issue Reporter at the forum of "Adblock Plus for Firefox".
There are room for improvement. Check it please.
Wladimir Palant

Andrey already implemented some changes to the reports backend, so I can pull up some numbers now. We currently have 32681 issue reports. Out of those, only 643 have a contact address (ouch). Our brand-new "users" table lists 616 users. The top user submitted 5 reports, followed by two users who submitted 3 reports. Then we have 19 users with two reports and everybody else submitted only one.
k2jp

Post by k2jp »

There are two types of subscription authors.
  • 1. Recognizing users is important to communicate or to reduce spam reports.
  • 2. Anonymity is more important than recognizing.
IMHO, it would be better if authors are able to select whether anonymous submit is acceptable or not.

[Adblock Plus]
! Title: Adblock Plus Filters
! Homepage: https://adblockplus.org/
! Anonymous submit: deny
Wladimir Palant

The subscription authors who don't want to prioritize issue reports are the ones who get only few of them. But even those are complaining about low quality of reports. In other words - I am not convinced that this distinction is necessary. Note that anonymous reports will still be possible, just not encouraged (and I am pretty sure that lots of users will supply a fake email address).
d

Post by d »

This is a nice idea as it would probably increase the overall quality of subscription lists indirectly which would then be seen by me too (the end user) :wink:
Wladimir Palant

First set of changes landed today: subscription authors now can mark reports as useful or useless. This will contribute to user's rating and influence the score of a report significantly. Note that whether the report is useful is part of the status template - it can be saved along with a status text.
famlam

Post by famlam »

Wladimir Palant wrote:First set of changes landed today: subscription authors now can mark reports as useful or useless. This will contribute to user's rating and influence the score of a report significantly. Note that whether the report is useful is part of the status template - it can be saved along with a status text.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to show "Useless" to the user. I mean, imagine that I'm a new, non-technical user and see ads somewhere. I'll file a report, (of course?). The next day, I see some author marked my report as useless (because the text links I was referring to are a known issue caused by adware or something like that). If I for that reason immediately get marked as "useless", then I'd think twice before every submitting a report again. I guess it can better be hidden for the user. The status description is good enough to handle the info towards the user already (IMO).
Wladimir Palant

You are right, I didn't realize that the user could see it.
Wladimir Palant

The usefulness row has now been removed from the report info. User's email address is now anonymized and points to a user profile.