Adblock Plus for Dolphin browser (Android)?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
TBolt

Adblock Plus for Dolphin browser (Android)?

Post by TBolt »

Hi all. :)

I'm a long-time fan of Adblock Plus for Firefox. Unfortunately, Firefox isn't really proving itself to be a solid browser for Android, yet. The Dolphin browsers, though, are REALLY good. Is there any chance that Adblock Plus might be made available for the Dolphin browser?

Currently using Dolphin HD for phones and Dolphin for Pad (beta) for a Honeycomb tablet.

Thank you.

Re: Adblock Plus for Dolphin browser (Android)?

Post by Guest »

I have the same question.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

The latest Firefox mobile has support for AdBlock Plus. Although, the Firefox mobile browser isn't quite ready for daily use, imho. Waiting patiently.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I replied to somebody's mail on this topic - the Dolphin browser doesn't even support extensions. The existing "extensions" are all produced by the browser maker and communicate with the browser via some undocumented interfaces (likely binary interfaces). This isn't a mechanism that third-party developers can use.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

Thank you for the response, Wladimir.

I was happy to see AdBlock Plus working in Firefox mobile. Now, Mozilla just needs to get that browser more developed.

Thanks again.
Wladimir Palant

They are improving it, Firefox 12 is going to have a native UI which will make it a lot faster.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:They are improving it, Firefox 12 is going to have a native UI which will make it a lot faster.
The Mozilla wiki says the native UI is coming in 11.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platfor ... 8Aurora.29
Wladimir Palant

Yes, that's what I've been told as well now.

Post by Guest »

IMO, the goals of ABP are not compatible with commercial browsers with a history of anti-user behavior: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_Br ... y_concerns

We need greater adoption of FOSS in the mobile ecosystem. Fighting back against the commercialization and walled gardens must be made a priority before it is too late. Keeping ABP on Firefox mobile draws users away from the commercial browsers.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

The real problem is that the technology isn't compatible; you'd think in fact that if a browser allows extensions then something like ABP would be a loophole around certain privacy-invasive practices...
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I thought Dolphin did have some sort of ad blocking? Maybe it's a different browser i'm thinkng of...
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

MadMax wrote:I thought Dolphin did have some sort of ad blocking? Maybe it's a different browser i'm thinkng of...
I never paid the 'donation' fee to get the ad-free Dolphin because Dolphin Support never confirmed to me that it block ads on web sites. I read elsewhere that ads on sites aren't blocked.

This was the confusing email from Dolphin:
We have already added the feature of Dolphin license (removing ads in Google apps) into the latest Dolphin Browser HD v 6 version. You can have a try. :)

Regards,

Dolphin Support
comnut

Post by comnut »

MadMax wrote:I thought Dolphin did have some sort of ad blocking? Maybe it's a different browser i'm thinkng of...
No, the ads that *dolphin* are talking about, are those *internal* to the browser! :(

adblocking for websites, now that needs an addon...

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/adblock-plus is one, Its starts up, but it cannot be found anywhere, except in 'settings, applications'... and it does not seem to work..

plenty of others about, but they need root.. (no, I'm not doin that... :P) My Opera works perfectly fine, its easy enough to add fanboys adblock list to that..

If you want to use your browser for web flash, youtube, etc, then mozilla is a hopeless heap of.., when ALL the other browsers have no problem!!
Stretch

Post by Stretch »

Wladimir Palant wrote:I replied to somebody's mail on this topic - the Dolphin browser doesn't even support extensions. The existing "extensions" are all produced by the browser maker and communicate with the browser via some undocumented interfaces (likely binary interfaces). This isn't a mechanism that third-party developers can use.
There is a lastpass and on for dolphin, which is third party.
Parson

Post by Parson »

Wladimir Palant wrote:The existing "extensions" are all produced by the browser maker and communicate with the browser via some undocumented interfaces (likely binary interfaces). This isn't a mechanism that third-party developers can use.
I just found this thread by googling because I recently started to use Dolphin on my Droid.
On Dolphin's website they write about an SDK: http://dev.dolphin-browser.com/get-started/
Would that be a way to get ABP running on Dolphin?