[Fixed] Memory Leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
chordoflife

[Fixed] Memory Leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome

Post by chordoflife »

I've been experiencing memory leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome, running chrome 22.0.1229.94 m and no other extensions. It's especially noticeable if you leave a tab open and use it over time. It happens on every page, but it happens faster if you're switching through pages with more resources. Chrome's memory usage goes up gradually in a tab until the browser is using a very large amount of ram:

(760 MB of ram in PID 5536)

This behaviour disappears after disabling the Adblock Plus extension.
NeVeRLiFt

Re: Memory Leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome

Post by NeVeRLiFt »

Same here, seeing memory leak bad with Adblock+ 1.3
No other extensions or addons used, and during testing.

Turning off Adblock+ 1.3 stops the memory leak, even during the test if you disable it the memory use stops, enable it and watch memory climb until it crashes.

Please fix this memory leak.
NeVeRLiFt

Post by NeVeRLiFt »

Using Firefox v16 with Adblock+ 1.3 is fine so guess I have to stop using Chrome till Adblock+ works with it again.
chordoflife

Post by chordoflife »

NeVeRLiFt wrote:Using Firefox v16 with Adblock+ 1.3 is fine so guess I have to stop using Chrome till Adblock+ works with it again.
There's another adblock extension for chrome that works moderately well. I started using that in the meantime.
NeVeRLiFt

Post by NeVeRLiFt »

I'm using the development build v1.3.0.884 and the memory leak is gone.

So please whatever you did with v1.3 to cause the memory leak fix it.

The v1.3.0.884 dev build is working 100% and no memory leak.
MrGuest

Post by MrGuest »

I'm using this extension with SRWare Iron 22.0.1250.0. I had no problems whatsoever with previous version. Since update to version 1.3, ABP is causing huge memory leaks leading Windows to go out of memory and crashing browser's open tabs.
fhd

Post by fhd »

Seems to be the same issue as this one.

Could you try to remove ABP and reinstall it from the Chrome Web Store?
chrodoflfie

Post by chrodoflfie »

fhd wrote:Seems to be the same issue as this one.

Could you try to remove ABP and reinstall it from the Chrome Web Store?
I removed and reinstalled ABP as you requested. It doesn't seem to be leaking for me any more. I'm glad. :)
kbrint

Post by kbrint »

FWIW I was able to prevent this leak by un-checking "Disable inline text ads".

Removing and re-installing the extension has the same effect... "Disable inline text ads" is unchecked afterwards.

So, therein lies the leak, and that explains why remove and reinstall "fixes" it.

HTH.

-kb
fhd

Post by fhd »

kbrint wrote:FWIW I was able to prevent this leak by un-checking "Disable inline text ads".

Removing and re-installing the extension has the same effect... "Disable inline text ads" is unchecked afterwards.

So, therein lies the leak, and that explains why remove and reinstall "fixes" it.
Thank you very much, that is indeed the issue! We're probably going to remove that feature altogether, considering that we don't even seem to need it.
fhd

Post by fhd »

I've removed the option, shouldn't happen anymore with the upcoming release.
NeVeRLiFt

Re: [Fixed] Memory Leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome

Post by NeVeRLiFt »

Thank you for finding and fixing this so fast.
darkocean

Re: [Fixed] Memory Leaks in ABP 1.3 for Chrome

Post by darkocean »

Think that's bad. try fire fox lately. it's memory leek is getting worse and worse. along with the add-block pluss add on driving the memory up past 1gb!! i finally had to just take out all my addons.n or i can't even type in text fields and browse the net. I am serously thinking about using google chrome. Anything has to be better then this!