@hubird

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Hubird

Re: @hubird

Post by Hubird »

Hmmm, I don't think it is really worth fixing that.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

The following image: http://www.index.hr/images2/kimkardashi ... 342012.jpg
is blocked on the following site: http://www.index.hr/hot/clanak/kim-kard ... 09637.aspx
because of this filter:

Code: Select all

_twitter_$~script,~subdocument,~xmlhttprequest,domain=~twitter.com
as reported in this thread: forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10020
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Fixed.
SeniorBob

Post by SeniorBob »

Hubird wrote:Help test the Adversity Extreme Measures Subscription
Whats the point of this subscription, what does it do? I can understand adblock, tracking, antisocial and annoyance filters, but whats an Extreme measure?
pacman

Post by pacman »

Hubird can explain more on this, but basically Extreme Measures is similar to Fanboy's Annoyance List. Extreme Measures blocks anything annoying that the policy of Adversity and Antisocial doesn't cover. Also more risky generic rules are added to Extreme Measures.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

First of all it is worth mentioning that the Extreme Measures list is not meant for the average user and I don't expect anywhere near as many subscribers as Antisocial.

It is still early days for this list and feedback as to what should and should not be included is welcome (list is not yet mentioned on the Adversity homepage or listed in the ABP known subscriptions list).

As Pacman said the Extreme Measures subscription is similar to Fanboy's annoyance but with a few differences.

As well as general annoyances it also picks up where the other Adversity lists finish.

For example:

* It has more risky privacy protection rules not suitable for Adversity (for example Google Analytics is blocked).

* It has more extreme Antisocial rules that will not be to everyone's liking (it blocks the Facebook comments system many sites use).

* Sometimes trying to block social icons also results in email and RSS icons being blocked. I try to avoid this happening in Antisocial so rules of this nature are added to Extreme Measures (RSS icons are purposely targeted).

* It also contains some rules for Non English "Adult" sites (the only Adversity list that has any non English rules).

Post by Guest »

Google Analytics is by far the worst and most intrusive tracker in existence.

Why is it not being blocked by default?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Blocking Google Analytics causes a lot of issues, no mainstream list blocks it.

I do block it in the Extreme Measures list, people using it should be willing to accept a few more broken sites and they should know how to track down 'false positives'.

Post by Guest »

Can ABP itself be modded to allow for nulling the offending script?

Google Analytics is found on something like 3 in 4 English language page views and it reports its pilfered information back to the world's largest private data aggregator.

A tracking block list which can't handle GA is just providing a false sense of security. How many users of these lists have any idea that GA is slipping through or even how bad it truly is.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Blocking google-analytics is a somewhat a pain, looking at my whitelist.. from the enhanced list.. and it grows.

Code: Select all

@@||google-analytics.com/ga.js$domain=donanimhaber.com|mevio.com|sundance.org|justjared.com|kleinanzeigen.ebay.de|timberland.com|billboard.com|google.com|
priceme.co.nz|games.latimes.com|banshee.fm|myyearbook.com|eonline.com|yellow.co.nz|logitech.com|lucasarts.com|tomshardware.com|maxcdn.com|tweetgrid.com|
frequency.com|aftonbladet.se|seekingalpha.com|threatfire.com|bolha.com|jetbrains.com|fora.tv|thevine.com.au|americanapparel.net|mashable.com|brobible.com|
oyster.com|photobucket.com|nuts.co.uk|alatest.com|apps.facebook.com|billabong.com|weeworld.com|youtube.com|philips.com|tvunetworks.com|g4tv.com|jobsite.co.uk|
avast.com|ehow.com|gasbuddy.com|globaltv.com|nme.com|imageshack.us|tube8.com|priestville.org|latimes.com|umbro.com|tempe12.com|account.hirezstudios.com|
salon.com|juxtapoz.com|wonka.com|medonet.pl|asus.com|7digital.com|lemonfree.com|babylon.com

Post by guest »

question:
should your extreme measures list be used in combination with your adversity & antisocial lists or does it already contain all those rules?
im currently using all three, but id prefer using as few subscriptions as possible, as i've heard that using multiple abp subscriptions slows down firefox.
if all three are necessary, would you consider adding all antisocial & adversity rules to your extreme measures list so people who already use them will only need that one?
also, i think you should mention your extreme measures list on your adversity homepage

Post by guest »

uhm... okay, apparently the [url] command doesnt work; here's the link http://adversity.uk.to/

Post by guest »

uhm... hello?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Extreme Measures is similar is some ways to Fanboy's annoyance and enhanced trackers list, on its own it will not do a great deal.

Combining all lists into one or having them separate makes no performance difference, it is when people subscribe to every list they see that issues arise.

Extreme Measures is not for everyone and I don't want to deal with the added support from people who do not understand its purpose so it is not listed on the website.