[Done] Subscriptions dialog

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
PMB

Post by PMB »

I would like to suggest that if the user has selected one or more subsciptions from the installation dialog, AB+ should not add the example filters.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

That's a good idea but there might be a problem - when the subscriptions dialog appears the example filters have already been added. This isn't a modal dialog, you can continue browsing while it is open and add whatever filters you want. So if we were to do this, this behavior should be changed so that the subscriptions dialog adds the example filters if the user closes it without having added any subscriptions and his filters list is empty.
chewey

Post by chewey »

Wladimir: How about including a default
subscription list like it is done now, but offering
an "update subscriptions list" button?

This would make the calling home optional and opt-in.

Rick: Absolutely.

I was surprised too the first time I realised I may
break my traffic limit with such a small file :-)

My adblock.txt (4kB too) data for september:

2725,84MB
1141831 Hits

This gives an avg. of 2503,21 Bytes/Hit, thanks to ABP
honouring HTTP 304. Without the 3-day-refresh this
would probably be a lot more too.

The hit number increase slowed down considerably over
the last month, I assume this to be due to ABP dropping
out of amo's top ten.

Looking at the traffic pattern, I estimate having
about 100000 subscribers.
(My evil self thought about wreaking havoc by creating
a filter list just containing "*" when I saw this number :wink:)
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I already thought about providing an update button for subscriptions. I guess almost nobody would use it but that's the best solution so far.

The hits stabilized for EasyList as well in September. I think it also has to do with the fact that almost everybody upgraded to 0.7.1+ by now so that any increase is really new users.

And don't dare add this filter! Who do you think will get all the bug reports? :)
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

I find an optional update subscription button the best solution we came up with, until now.
Concerning the warning. As already proposed I would let pop up a messagebox as soon as the user ticks the 2nd, 3rd, ... filterlist.
Wladimir Palant

It seems that the changes should be:

1. The dialog should only allow to select/add one subscription.
2. The fixed list of recommended subscriptions stays, no autoupdate. Any subscriptions I wouldn't really recommend or those that are not sufficient when used alone will be removed (this affects adblock.free.fr and RU Adlist, probably ChinaList as well).
3. A link "More subscriptions" in the dialog should lead to a web page listing all known subscriptions (at least those that are still maintained and where the authors agreed to the listing), maybe with short descriptions of what the subscription is good for.

The last point is also important because quite a few people asked me to add their subscriptions and I don't have a real reason not to - but I wouldn't recommend those either.
Zios

Post by Zios »

Why Chinalist is removed from (more) Known Adblock Plus subscriptions? I think it is helpful for Chinese users.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

I asked Wladimir to temporary remove ChinaList due to recent troubles in securing a stable server. It's primary an issue of popularity of my web games and forum, rather then the list, so don't worry.
I am not giving up my quest this easily... :evil:

I think allowing users to pick only one list is the best option, even if that's not how my list work best at the moment.

Although ChinaList is intended to be used alongside EasyList, in practice only a few EasyList rules applies to Chinese sites, it's mainly those generic ad pattern Chinalist really depends on.

I personally would like to keep it this way to make best use of my resources :oops:, but removing the dependency does make it easier for users.

On the other hand, I'd like to raise the point that on EasyList's site alone there are three different lists. :shock: Power users always want more choice, while causal users will most likely just want something simple (e.g. subscribe to all list presented).

I think this issue of balance of flexibility and simplicity is an issue that needs to be discussed in details.