The new adblockplus.org is online - translations appreciated

Discussion on adblockplus.org website and translations
fhd

The new adblockplus.org is online - translations appreciated

Post by fhd »

The new adblockplus.org is online! What do you think?

It definitely still needs work in some areas, especially the contribute page, but we'll start to think about that in a bit.

We really took supporting as many browsers as possible serious, so please report if there are any issues with your browser/OS/device combination.

If you happen to speak Arabic, Bulgarian, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Hungarian, Korean, Lithuanian, Portuguese or Chinese, please consider helping with the translations, most importantly of the new landing page, menu and footer. The new features page is a bit less important, but should also be translated.
Crits

Re: The new adblockplus.org is online - translations appreciated

Post by Crits »

Great work, it's a lot more clear like that.

I think the texts paragraph on pages like en/getting_started deserves wider exterior margins, or maybe more spacing between the lines. Those long text blocks are quite hard to read right now (from my 1366 x 768 PC screen).

Also, any reason why not to credit Anwiki anymore?
Author of Liste FR, an ad-blocking subscription for French websites
fhd

Post by fhd »

Crits wrote: I think the texts paragraph on pages like en/getting_started deserves wider exterior margins, or maybe more spacing between the lines. Those long text blocks are quite hard to read right now (from my 1366 x 768 PC screen).
Yes you're right, way too long sentences, I'll look into it.
Crits wrote: Also, any reason why not to credit Anwiki anymore?
Not really, no. It was in the default footer and we replaced that, so... But I think we'll want to move away from it in the long term anyway.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Why isn't there a prominent link to the list of subscriptions anywhere? This is particularly confusing as the features you tout on the dedicated page require specific filter subscriptions. Do you want that list to only be accessible from inside the "Add a different subscription" link in the interface? That's not available in Opera, for instance.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

To be honest, I'm not sure whether there should be a link to it, at least if we are talking about the list in its current form. It is very confusing for users who don't know much about Adblock Plus - it's a large list without much explanation helping the user to choose. It encourages people to subscribe to everything which is pretty bad.

Note that the same list is available from the Firefox extension, if you decide to look beyond the recommended subscriptions.
Crits

Post by Crits »

When the header contains too long menu titles, the language selection goes over the lines (case of French, on a PC screen):
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2729/capturenks.png
Gingerbread Man

Wladimir Palant wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure whether there should be a link to it, at least if we are talking about the list in its current form.
Then you're touting features that people won't be able to find. For privacy protection, malware protection and social media button blocking, a user would have to
  1. Use Firefox.
  2. Go digging through the menus enough to reach Icon > Filter Preferences > Filter Subscriptions > Add Filter Subscription > Add a Different Subscription.
  3. Sift through the list that contains many foreign language items that most English-speaking users won't care about. Then with deft perception, notice that some lists are labeled things like "(privacy protection)", and realize subscribing to those is what's required for that particular feature.
Wladimir Palant wrote:Note that the same list is available from the Firefox extension, if you decide to look beyond the recommended subscriptions.
I said as much. Firefox isn't the issue. Well, apart from the fact that novice users aren't likely to make heads or tails of the list in its current format.

Shouldn't there be some mention of Adblock Plus in page titles? It would be more search engine-friendly. For instance, en/features simply says "Features".
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Then you're touting features that people won't be able to find.
Yes, that's something I mentioned before the website launch - still needs to be fixed. A link to the subscriptions page isn't the solution, we need proper explanations there (at least until the new Adblock Plus UI makes the explanations unnecessary).
Gingerbread Man

Okay then. Then I just want to say good job on the overall design. It looks very spiffy and sleek 8)
Crits

Post by Crits »

What about adding "Translating ABP website" on http://adblockplus.org/en/contribute#translate ?
Crits wrote:When the header contains too long menu titles, the language selection goes over the lines (case of French, on a PC screen):
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2729/capturenks.png
Seems to be fixed, thanks.