[PENDING] Adblock Plus blocked?

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
DrTeeth

[PENDING] Adblock Plus blocked?

Post by DrTeeth »

Since updating my Samsung Galaxy SIII earlier today, Adblock plus no longer works. Says I need to set up a proxy. I cannot find any settings whatsoever to set up a proxy, and I have looked hard. I never had to set one up before and I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Any ideas?

TIA,

DrT
Crits

Re: Adblock Plus blocked?

Post by Crits »

Author of Liste FR, an ad-blocking subscription for French websites
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, that does not help. I had found it earlier and followed it. Adblock Plus worked perfectly before the recent OS update I mentioned in my OP. Unfortunatelyt, I cannot upload a screenshot here is my wireless advanced settings screen here.

DrT
Andrey Novikov

Post by Andrey Novikov »

What's that update? What Android version do you have now?
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I have Android version 4.1.2. The update was pushed out a few days ago to my Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) on Vodafone in the UK and it did break Adblock Plus. It was a small update and not a fully firmware upgrade, about 25MB IIRC.

Here is my advanced Wi-Fi menu http://www.mediafire.com/view/?l6qdwl0wr10ne8k

DrT
Andrey Novikov

Post by Andrey Novikov »

We are working on that issue.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Andrey Novikov wrote:We are working on that issue.
Spasiba!

If you would like me to test any fixes, please let me know.

Regards

Guy
Henk van Setten

Re: [PENDING] Adblock Plus blocked?

Post by Henk van Setten »

May I repeat here what I posted in a recent proxy thread?

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 just updated to Android 4.1.2 and yes, this appeared to break Adblock Plus.
After some searching I found that you need to enter the correct proxy data for each one of the wifi networks you use. The proxy settings are hidden under settings -> WiFi -> [the network's name].
I found the following instructions online that worked for me:

Go to Settings > Wireless & networks. Long press on the name of the network that you need to add the proxy information to. When the popup box opens tap Modify Network and a new box will open. On the bottom left there is a check box that you need to check labeled Show advanced options. That will then reveal the Proxy settings and the IP settings options. Change the Proxy drop down from None to Manual. You will then need to scroll down a little bit and enter in your proxy information.

For Adblock Plus you need to fill in "localhost" and in the next screen (for port number) "26571".

Since I did this, everything seems to be working again as it used to.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Hi Henk,

Thanks VERY much for that.

That extra info helped.

DrT
spaceburglar

Post by spaceburglar »

can i clarify? are we actually going to need to do that for each wifi provider or will adblock make a general fix? why hasn't this been an issue before?
JC

Post by JC »

Hi,

For Samsung galaxy S3, this solution (enter manual proxy settings in wifi settings) does not work for Youtube app. I have not checked for the browser though.
Andrey Novikov

Post by Andrey Novikov »

Unfortunately Google has blocked ability to set proxy from application. It's good from the security point of view but bad from the usability point of view. Currently we can do nothing then provide this instruction: en/android-config-samsung-galaxy-s3