adblock no longer blacks anything on reddit.com

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Dirtymoney

adblock no longer blacks anything on reddit.com

Post by Dirtymoney »

All of a sudden the right sidebar on reddit is no longer blocked. This includes the ads and the custom blocks I have that allow me to read the website normally. I have a netbook and without adblock.... the sidebar with the ads take up half the screen.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: adblock no longer blacks anything on reddit.com

Post by MonztA »

Reddit is now part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. You can disable it in the filter preferences of Adblock Plus.

Post by Guest »

MonztA wrote:Reddit is now part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. You can disable it in the filter preferences of Adblock Plus.
Already unchecked that earlier. DIdnt work.
dirtymoney

Post by dirtymoney »

Guest wrote:
MonztA wrote:Reddit is now part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. You can disable it in the filter preferences of Adblock Plus.
Already unchecked that earlier. DIdnt work.
Ok, now for some reason ... it IS working, BUT my "easy create filters" of the sidebar and various parts of the webpage arent working.

Post by Guest »

Question.... since reddit has been whitelisted.... does that mean that the "easy create filter" function can no longer be used on non-ad items on a website? Because it appears to be so.

Here is what reddit looked like before..... http://i.imgur.com/MpsdzkL.jpg ..... now here is what I have to put up with now http://i.imgur.com/mzXMHwv.jpg

Seems I can no longer remove the sidebar, so now half my netbook's screen is taken up by it since adblock wont block it anymore.

This is bullshit.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Code: Select all

www.reddit.com##.side
dirtymoney

Post by dirtymoney »

mapx wrote:

www.reddit.com##.side

It doesnt work. Nothing gets blocked permanently on reddit AFTER I refresh the page or go to the next page. It DOES block it (the sidebar and any other page element I block), but the moment I refresh the page or go to the next page.... it all reappears.
mapx

Post by mapx »

dirtymoney wrote:
mapx wrote:

www.reddit.com##.side

It doesnt work. Nothing gets blocked permanently on reddit AFTER I refresh the page or go to the next page. It DOES block it (the sidebar and any other page element I block), but the moment I refresh the page or go to the next page.... it all reappears.
here is working well

scan your system for malware
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ ... ware.shtml

also, try using ONLY ABP (for testing - to find some conflict with other extensions)

Post by Guest »

mapx wrote:
dirtymoney wrote:
mapx wrote:

www.reddit.com##.side

here is working well

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/ ... ware.shtml

also, try using ONLY ABP (for testing - to find some conflict with other extensions)
Is it working well regularly? Refresh the page and see if the sidebar reappears after you blocked it. Because it shows up again for me after it initially is blocked. And I am gunshy of using malwarebytes. Last time i used it I had some sort of major error that damaged my SSD. I had to replace the SSD and start all over. I use microsoft security essentials for antivirus
mapx

Post by mapx »

yes yes yes, it's working after refresh !

using ONLY the antivirus is very very BAD
dirtymoney

Post by dirtymoney »

Did it... came back clean.
mapx

Post by mapx »

last try

disable your antivirus and other security software
keep ONLY windows firewall (not other firewall)
go to chrome://plugins and verify if you have some antivirus plugin (disable it) or other "strange" one
go to chrome://extensions/ and disable all other extensions

test again
mapx

Post by mapx »

what subscriptions are you using ?
dirtymoney

Post by dirtymoney »

solved the problem.

Another guy in a similar thread suggested getting rid of the fanboy/easylist merger list and ONLY using the easy list. And that completely solved it.

Jeeze! What a serious asspain!