The best adblock plugin for IE7 would be...

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
prisoner881

The best adblock plugin for IE7 would be...

Post by prisoner881 »

...Adblock Plus for IE7, if it existed. Now that IE7 is released, are there any plans to create such a version?
debesten

Post by debesten »

People would use IE7 alot more instead of firefox, do the adblock developpers want that :oops: But I would like to have it on IE7 since firefox doesn't run java VM.
koan00

Post by koan00 »

"But I would like to have it on IE7 since firefox doesn't run java VM"

What?

Firefox most certainly runs the Sun Java VM plugin.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Of course there are no such plans. Internet Explorer doesn't have a proper API for ad blocking like Gecko has, it doesn't even have an extension concept (note: binary plugins aren't extensions). If you are using Internet Explorer (poor guy) the best you can get are local proxies to filter ads - like Ad Muncher or Proxomitron. Of course there is no UI integration whatsoever in this case.
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

debesten wrote:People would use IE7 alot more instead of firefox, do the adblock developpers want that :oops: But I would like to have it on IE7 since firefox doesn't run java VM.
Do the developers want it? I would hope this isn't some kind of an ideological war here like "we hate Microsoft, so we're not going to try and help IE users at all." That's rather childish.

The facts are this: no matter how good FF is (and I use it every day), about 80% of the Internet is going to be using IE because it's the default browser for Windows. Ignoring that market makes no sense unless you're in some kind of religious war against Microsoft...which is, as I said, childish. This stuff is software, not religion.

Now if there are technical reasons, that's one thing. But not supporting IE just because it's from Microsoft? Come on, give me a break.
wad

Post by wad »

IE sux! Computer and internet geeks are always use FF or Opera. You had better get rid of IE!
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Of course there are no such plans. Internet Explorer doesn't have a proper API for ad blocking like Gecko has, it doesn't even have an extension concept (note: binary plugins aren't extensions).
Forgive my ignorance here for a minute, as I've never developed a browser plugin, but why doesn't a binary extension count as an extension? Is there a real technical reason behind this, or are you making some kind of ideological judgement?
Wladimir Palant wrote:If you are using Internet Explorer (poor guy) the best you can get are local proxies to filter ads - like Ad Muncher or Proxomitron. Of course there is no UI integration whatsoever in this case.
Honestly, I've been testing IE7 through the betas and RC's. Have you? It's not bad. It has several useful features you can't find even in FF (although I'm sure extensions will pop up in no time replicating these features). Does it largely just copy FF? Sure. Is that a bad thing? No, it's not. FF has been the best browser to have for a while now. If Microsoft uses that as a template for a new IE, we should all be happy.

But back to extensions. I could be wrong here, but Microsoft does offer a method to put extensions (Microsoft calls them "add-ons") into IE7. There's a site at http://www.ieaddons.com/ devoted to the concept, and there are links to developer resources for IE Add-ons. Microsoft's MSDN site offers free documentation on how to build add-ons. Have you reviewed this? Are you quite certain there's no way to develop an add-on like Adblock Plus, or have you just ruled it out because you don't feel like contributing effort to IE users?

If it can't be done, that's one thing. If you won't do it because of personal reasons, that's something completely different. I sincerely hope it's not the latter.
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

wad wrote:IE sux! Computer and internet geeks are always use FF or Opera. You had better get rid of IE!
What insightful, mature commentary you offer. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
ecjs

Post by ecjs »

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Ad ... 26459509/1

Adblock is for firefox. Nothing to add.
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

ecjs wrote:http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Ad ... 26459509/1

Adblock is for firefox. Nothing to add.
Thanks for the link! I'll give this a try. It doesn't look anywhere near as sophisticated as Adblock Plus, but then again Adblock was pretty humble when it began as well.
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

Ideological judgments aside, it's not real easy to port it to Internet Explorer. What they do is completely different from how Firefox works.t
What, me worry?
Wladimir Palant

prisoner881 wrote:Forgive my ignorance here for a minute, as I've never developed a browser plugin, but why doesn't a binary extension count as an extension?
Because a binary plugin can only extend or modify the browser's behavior in the places where the browser developers explicitely allowed us to do so. Thus plugins are very limited in their interaction with the browser. An extension on the other hand can do almost anything since it has full access to browser's internal data (XUL DOM, JavaScript objects and XPCOM). That's the reason why Adblock Plus can be an extension but not an IE plugin. Unless IE developers decide help developers of ad blocking software explicitely of course - which they probably don't want to do.
prisoner881 wrote:Honestly, I've been testing IE7 through the betas and RC's. Have you? It's not bad.
I did. The user interface improved in fact - but under the hood it is still the same ancient IE engine. There has been a little improvement in this area but IE developers need to do much more if they want IE to become competitive again.
Wladimir Palant

PS: There is a very pragmatic reason why I wouldn't develop Adblock Plus for IE7 - I do not use this browser. Why should I invest a huge amount of time (and I really mean HUGE - since it would have nothing in common with Firefox' Adblock Plus and developing binary plugins is generally much more difficult) in something I don't need myself?
prisoner881

Post by prisoner881 »

Wladimir Palant wrote:PS: There is a very pragmatic reason why I wouldn't develop Adblock Plus for IE7 - I do not use this browser. Why should I invest a huge amount of time (and I really mean HUGE - since it would have nothing in common with Firefox' Adblock Plus and developing binary plugins is generally much more difficult) in something I don't need myself?
Fair enough. I appreciate your honesty and candor on this subject. It is a pity IE is not more accomodating in this respect. I had hoped the new "add on" hooks were substantial enough to make use of, but apparently that's not the case.

Thanks again for all you do with FF. Your plugin is always the first thing I load. Always. Next is TabMixPlus and DownloadThemAll.
Fangs404

Post by Fangs404 »

http://www.admuncher.com/ is the best for IE. It's the only one I know about.