[Done] New Adblock Plus icons

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

I really preferred the cockroach icon. Far more descriptive, and not too eye catching - The red draws too much attention and is similar to the default FF "Stop Loading" button.

Just my 2c :/
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Some users in Adblock Plus comments don't like it so much either. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/comments/

BTW: Version Notes should be updated on https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865 ;)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

The style has been uploaded: http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196
kfft

Post by kfft »

There's a problem with the color. Red is too eye catching and usually means warning, stop, danger. The usual functioning should not be red.

The possibility to choose another icon is interesting but is not a good answer. The icon is the symbol, the brand name of ADP. Could we vote with a bit more choice? I don't think this one would be the winner. It is the interest of everybody we want the best trademark for a product we really appreciate.

Rgds
nimd4

Post by nimd4 »

Not trying to be negative here, but honestly the new icons suck :( So did the bug :/ & no can do better ones either ..
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Agreed Those new Icons are not good !
And style is not the solution, too complex for novice users like me.
DO SOMETHING PLEEEEASE VLAD !
YORAP

BAD

Post by YORAP »

Come on it is even worse than the cockroach ! How did you chose this new icons?????????????
Do something for the community of users who don't understand this choice and don't understand how to change then, and by what?
Personally I don't have any replacement icon !!!

YORAP !
Fox

Post by Fox »

Andrew Smith wrote: And style is not the solution, too complex for novice users like me.
if you can install Adblock Plus, you also can install stylish -extension and that style.
(That page has install -button after stylish is installed).
NJH

Post by NJH »

YOUAP, Andrew, nimd4, kfft, Goosey, John23 and jigarsh - just from this page.

This change of icon discussion has been going on for quite a while now if you care to read the whole thread. There were a few major contributors and this is what they have come up with. If you do not like what you see now, perhaps you should have taken part in the earlier discussion. All your comments are negative whinges without a word of thanks for this tremendous extension. You need to remember that views on things like icons are personal opinions and as such no view is right or wrong, but it is what the thread contributors have come up with. Other people like me are happy with the new icons or indifferent to the changes, so I do not believe they are universally disliked.
If you prefer the old icons, just go to where Wladimir pointed you - http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196, follow the instructions and you have them back. Some themes change them as well.

Having done a number of system implementations over the years it has become very apparent that people make a lot more noise about something they have lost from the old system rather than what they have gained from the new one, and it can be very demoralising for the implementer.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

imo, the new icons are a logarithmic improvement upon the old icon. a good deal of thought went into them.

most importantly, a mechanism exists whereby you can have exactly the old behavior if you choose to do so and feel strongly enough about it. wp has done everything possible to both move forward and accommodate users accustomed to the prior.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

alta88 wrote:wp has done everything possible to both move forward and accommodate users accustomed to the prior.
Couldn't agree more! well said
helios

kudos to creator(s)

Post by helios »

Adblock Plus is the piece of code that by far improved my overall web experience most over the last months (perhaps years).

Thank you!

And thanks again for pointing out the possibility to return to the old icons via userChrome.css
I do not like the new icons (too 'eye-catching'), but it is definitly up to you to decide! :)

(I think this software has earned its right to impose an iconset and have the user remember which icon is ON and OFF.)

Post by guest »

I really want the bug icon back!! PLEASE!!! :cry:

Its painful to look at the new-big-red-ugly one! :shock:
PeterPablo

Post by PeterPablo »

Just read the whole thread!
http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196,
John23

Post by John23 »

NJH wrote:YOUAP, Andrew, nimd4, kfft, Goosey, John23 and jigarsh - just from this page.

This change of icon discussion has been going on for quite a while now if you care to read the whole thread. There were a few major contributors and this is what they have come up with. If you do not like what you see now, perhaps you should have taken part in the earlier discussion. All your comments are negative whinges without a word of thanks for this tremendous extension. You need to remember that views on things like icons are personal opinions and as such no view is right or wrong, but it is what the thread contributors have come up with. Other people like me are happy with the new icons or indifferent to the changes, so I do not believe they are universally disliked.
If you prefer the old icons, just go to where Wladimir pointed you - http://userstyles.org/style/show/1196, follow the instructions and you have them back. Some themes change them as well.

Having done a number of system implementations over the years it has become very apparent that people make a lot more noise about something they have lost from the old system rather than what they have gained from the new one, and it can be very demoralising for the implementer.
I'm more than a little irritated by the fact that you have included me in that list of unappreciative whiners.

The whole point of my post was to provide feedback. I specifically went out of my way to show clear appreciation for this extension, and the hours and hours of work that obviously goes into it.

However, I think you'll find that the majority of the Adblock Plus userbase does NOT keep tabs on this extensions development process (They likely either dont know about this place, or, like me, dont have the time). As such, they, like me, only knew of the icon change when it actually happened when the extension was updated.

Therefore, despite a relatively small active area of the Adblock Plus userbase seemingly approving the new icon. The majority seem to disagree, and seem to be calling for the old one's return?

Given that the majority of users have no idea as to what userChrome.css even is, the area of code to be copied and pasted there is also of no help.

Again, this is not a dig, this is an attempt at helpful feedback.

I hope its taken on board when the extensions developer decides where to go from here.

Again, Adblock Plus is a fantastic and must needed extension. It obviously takes a lot of work, and I becieve with some confidence that I speak for the whole community when I say that the extension developers efforts are very very much appreciated.

Hope this helps!

John :)