Answers.com is Blocked

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
YubaDuba

Answers.com is Blocked

Post by YubaDuba »

How can I add the application "Answers.com" to the white list of fanboy's two filters. Though the Answers window pops up, it's empty if Adblock Plus is enabled. If I disable Adblock Plus, however, the information--a word's definition, for example--appears in the Answers.com window.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Answers.com is Blocked

Post by MonztA »

Could you post a direkt link to the page where the issue occurs?
YubaDuba

Post by YubaDuba »

Yes, here's just one of many websites that Adblock Plus blocked Answers.com: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/books ... ker-t.html
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

I dont see the "answers" links on the site
YubaDuba

Post by YubaDuba »

"Answers" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/answers/) is an add-on application for Firefox, so the program is a browser tool I use on various websites if I encounter an unfamiliar word, person, or place. When Adblock Plus is enabled, it blocks "Answers" from working: the Answers window will open, but there's no information inside it. If I disable Adblock Plus, the Answers application works--i.e. a word is defined or a person/place is identified inside the opened window.

Post by Guest »

YubaDuba wrote:"Answers" (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/answers/) is an add-on application for Firefox, so the program is a browser tool I use on various websites if I encounter an unfamiliar word, person, or place. When Adblock Plus is enabled, it blocks "Answers" from working: the Answers window will open, but there's no information inside it. If I disable Adblock Plus, the Answers application works--i.e. a word is defined or a person/place is identified inside the opened window.
It probably blocks them because some advertisers use this method (the word car links to a site selling car insurance) etc. Seems like a spammy thing to have/eyesore but each to their own. Personally I hover over the word and search Google...
YubaDuba

Post by YubaDuba »

"Guest wrote: It probably blocks them because some advertisers use this method (the word car links to a site selling car insurance) etc. Seems like a spammy thing to have/eyesore but each to their own. Personally I hover over the word and search Google..."

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Though many advertisers use pop-up windows for their ads, "Answers" does not have ads in its windows. I also don't find the application to be "spammy" nor an "eyesore" since its window just contains definitions and brief citations from reputable reference books, and the window disappears when I close it. Indeed, the "Answers" application is similar to Chrome's "define" application that you evidently use. I like Firefox better than Chrome, however, so I would like to get this issue resolved.

Post by Guest »

YubaDuba wrote:"Guest wrote: It probably blocks them because some advertisers use this method (the word car links to a site selling car insurance) etc. Seems like a spammy thing to have/eyesore but each to their own. Personally I hover over the word and search Google..."

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Though many advertisers use pop-up windows for their ads, "Answers" does not have ads in its windows. I also don't find the application to be "spammy" nor an "eyesore" since its window just contains definitions and brief citations from reputable reference books, and the window disappears when I close it. Indeed, the "Answers" application is similar to Chrome's "define" application that you evidently use. I like Firefox better than Chrome, however, so I would like to get this issue resolved.
Actually you don't need any application or add on to hover over a word and search it with Google on Firefox or Chrome. I also use Firefox but also Chrome since Firefox doesn't seem to load certain videos for me and has been closing a lot lately.