Memory consumption

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
Cabal

Re: Memory consumption

Post by Cabal »

With a day-old installation, I'm up to 102 MB, and have seen upwards of 125 MB in the past. Stock Galaxy Nexus.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/zuEa0RC.png
zxc_mx

Post by zxc_mx »

same issuehere
VisualDigits

Post by VisualDigits »

Hi,
I use ABP on different dsevices. One is the Minix X5 Neo, which is online 24/7 via Ethernet connection.
After some days (a week or so) I have a memory footprint of >600MB (no joke, before posting I double checked that by killing the process and restarting ABP and wait again some days).
Since I see a footprint ov around 35MB right after ABP starts (which is already the biggest footprint of all my apps I use anywhere), this is surely some meory leak.
On the moset devices which have lower memory ABP is absolutely useless, since it renders the devices *dead* with it's memory consumption. I like ABP a lot and really want to use it on all my devices, so please fix this.
For what does ABP need so much memory?
Regards,
Stephan
chrcoluk

Post by chrcoluk »

I am not sure they can fix it, its just how the app is.

On my pc adblock plus works great in firefox however thats only if you ignore the ram usage which on my rig amounts to 100s of megs of ram.

adblock plus is very effective at what it does, its the only adbocker I have thats capable of blocking ads in flash videos but it seems the method required to do this is ram hungry.

The IE version of firefox doesnt seem so ram hungry tho but I think thats due to better IE resource managent.

So the way I see it if you use ABP you have to accept higher ram usage, its part and parcel of the app.
Hog

Post by Hog »

Any updates on this?
fox123

Post by fox123 »

The problem still exists, I also have 70mb+ constantly used... Showing the ads would use less RAM? :cry:
Btw, if i move the ADB switch to off, it still uses 65,2mb - not so nice...

Can you give us a new status / update?
Would it make sense to make a filterlist light with less entries and only the top 70% of the hits? On my webbrowser the adhit counter drops from 20.000 down to 150 within the first 50 elements of the list:
So how about the first 50 entries from easylist, 30 from easyprivacy + 3 from antiadblock killer - with a rough estimation it should be enough for 90-95% of the ads with only a tiny portion of the orginal blocklist which of course consumes a lot of RAM.
mapx

Post by mapx »

fox123

Post by fox123 »

thx for the quick reply!! sadly no change +/-2mb

YEAHIII!!! i fixed it :D

Kind of a workaround but with the same effect! RAM dropped from 71.2 mb => 13.3mb! :D This bug and the workaround was useful: https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/257 - hopefully they fix it fast than it will be easier for everybody

Im using ADP at the desktop for years, so my ad statistics are pretty stable and from 50000 elements only some are useful (most are not, at least for me and im not willing to surrend humongous amounts of RAM for those).

I cut it down from 51.191 elements (only 1 list) to 615 (multiple lists). To figure out what i really need for my usage i looked at the desktop version of my ADP and sorted by the hitcounter. Im using it for years so the statistic works out really well, its much more than only exponentially decaying => few elements do all the work.

SOURCE: (Desktop PC work)
Those are the useful ones to save RAM (many hits, few entries ) and from them we get out the juice!!
- EasyList + EasyListGermany (51191 elements)
- EasyPrivacy (9282 elements)
- Anti adblock killer (882 elements)
(antimalware (14643), adblock warning removal were pretty useless)

Right click on the filter => show filter (ctrl+r) and then sort the list descending for number of hits.

Copy the elements (ex. started with 20k hits and stopped at around 10hits, the rest takes to much RAM regarding usefullness) - just make sure to not copy some empty lines (maybe it works also but i didnt, so its up to you)

Copy it to Editor: the blocks you selected will be each sorted alfabetically not by hits, its ok (Maybe here is some more potential to optimize depending how ADP works)

OUR PERSONAL SUBSCRIPTION
We need to get our personal list online: i only found one site that host .txt in plain format for ADP to download => http://shrib.com

Paste all those elements in it and say at the share/teilen button to "do more/mehr" => Target/Ziel: different / andere => Test the link / Link testen. There we are: our list is online.

PHONE
Shut off ADP (long press => force quit)

With our phone we navigate to "/data/data/org.adblockplus.android/files"

There we empty or delete the patterns.ini file and create a new one (its a huge file for deleting by hand)

We only need to put in our Subscription, as the old one uses 70mb+

This is now for example my personal list. There are a lot of different settings inside but it works also without and only those 4 lines (see forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12469#p76226)

Code: Select all

# Adblock Plus preferences
version=4

[Subscription]
url=http://p.shrib.com/4QkZsNLS?m=ro&v=nc
Update filter twice! The name is still the old one, but inside its our personal one :mrgreen:

==============
From the hit counter those 615 elements should block at least 99.9% in my case (depening on what sites you use)