ABP button should be changed

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
dave

ABP button should be changed

Post by dave »

It looks too much like a "Stop" button. Buttons on a tool bar should be psychologically different. I actually clicked it once when trying to stop a page from loading.
dave

Post by dave »

OK, I see how to change it manually... but I still think the default should look different than a stop sign.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

From a usability standing point, the sign is not a good idea. Even if it is a good symbol for what the extension does, it confuses people. But from a likeability standing point, the old roach icon invoked much icon change request...
chewey

Post by chewey »

I understood for the first time what all this fuss is about when I installed
Firefox yesterday for some testing (normally, I use SeaMonkey). In FF, ABP's
icon is not located in the bookmark bar (as is the case in SM), but places
itself directly next to FF's stop button. This indeed is not the best thing to do.

Wladimir: Would it be a problem to place the ABP icon in FF's bookmark toolbar instead?
JDlugosz

Post by JDlugosz »

I see how this could be an issue. Since I just installed (I was a long-time user of Guidescope), I allowed the icon in both places, address bar and status bar. Since the latter seems to have the identical features, I deleted the top one, just to prevent making the mistake in the future.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@chewey: Putting the button into the bookmarks toolbar in only a hack, it is too difficult to place it in the toolbar in SeaMonkey (theme issues). The bookmarks toolbar is likely to be invisible with the result that the user can't find the button, it doesn't appear in the customization dialog in this case. And status bar is also a bad default setting since it makes the menu difficult to find (you have to think of right-clicking the symbol instead of simply clicking the arrow). But maybe placing the icon right next to the navigation buttons was a bad idea in the first place, what would you think of putting it at the end of the navigation toolbar, after the search field? We are talking about default settings here of course, everybody is free to move the button wherever he wants it to be...
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

You know what, Wladimir, that is where I put the icon for every ABP I installed for my friends. =)
AM088

Post by AM088 »

IMHO the statusbar is the best place. I don't think that the button is as necessary to use while browsing to have it take up space on the Navigation bear. And besides, the menu is also in the Tools menu.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

And Ctrl+Shift+A. ;)
nobody

Post by nobody »

The icon is in the toolbar by default, because adblock plus is a tool and not a status.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

I use the toolbar button a lot, if only because it's easier to find there since my statusbar is full of stuffs.

Plus with stop-or-reload we'll save one button space, perfect for ABP. =)