How to remove filters?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
openletter

How to remove filters?

Post by openletter »

I accidentally hit several filters while setting up the plugin and I can't figure out how to delete the extra ones - or even just dekete them all and start over. Even reimoving and reinstalling the plugin keeps the same filters installed.
Gingerbread Man

Re: How to remove filters?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

If you're having problems with specific filters,
  1. Open the Blockable Items pane (Ctrl+Shift+V).
  2. Right-click a blocked or whitelisted item and choose Edit Filter in Effect.
  3. Remove the filter by right-clicking it and choosing Delete, or disable it by clearing the checkbox next to it.
If you want to remove individual custom filters,
  1. Open the Preferences window (Ctrl+Shift+F), then click the Custom Filters tab.
  2. If the filters are not displayed on the right side, right-click a filter group and choose Show/Hide Filters.
  3. On the right side, right-click a filter and choose Delete. Filters from subscriptions cannot be deleted. You can disable such filters by clearing the checkbox next to them.
If you want to remove filter subscriptions or custom filter groups,
  1. Open the Preferences window (Ctrl+Shift+F).
  2. Right-click a filter subscription or custom group and choose Delete, then confirm the prompt.
frablack1@gmail.com

Re: How to remove filters

Post by frablack1@gmail.com »

'I can't even GET TO the filters pane. I use Firefox, the latest version. Contrary to the documentation, there is no Adblock Plus tab. What there is is an 'Adblock Plus + Topic' tab. This takes me to the Forum every time.

There is no little arrow in the (non-existent) tab, So I cannot get to the Filter Pane that way,

The Control/ShifT/F hotkey combo does nothing. In fact none of the keyboard shortcuts work. Still no filter pane.

One of the sites I value highly is theboneyard.com. Now it won't let me in because I have Adblock. The site tells me to go into Adblock and make an 'Exception" for Theboneyard.com. I cannot find any way to do this. It probably has something to do with filters... But I cannot get to filters.

I can see that Adblock Plus is a good program. But the documentation is so bad, it is more trouble than I want. I would delete it, but it does not appear in Windows 7's Add/Remove Program table. That is VERY bad IMO. ALL programs should give their users a way to remove the program.

I hope someone can help me.

Frank

Frank.
Gingerbread Man

Re: How to remove filters

Post by Gingerbread Man »

frablack1@gmail.com wrote:'I can't even GET TO the filters pane.
What does that mean? What happens when you click the Adblock Plus icon and choose Filter Preferences?
frablack1@gmail.com wrote:'Contrary to the documentation, there is no Adblock Plus tab.
It sounds like you read the parts specific to other browsers like Chrome.
frablack1@gmail.com wrote:'What there is is an 'Adblock Plus + Topic' tab. This takes me to the Forum every time.
I don't know what you mean. Can you post a screenshot of what you're looking at?
  1. Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled something else, like PrtScn, PRTSCN or PRTSC.
  2. Open an image editor like Paint and paste the contents of the clipboard in a new file.
  3. Crop out any unnecessary portions of the image, then save the file.
  4. Upload the image to a host like http://imgur.com, then post the link to it in a reply here.
frablack1@gmail.com wrote:The site tells me to go into Adblock and make an 'Exception" for Theboneyard.com. I cannot find any way to do this.
Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose "Disable on <domain name goes here>".
:arrow: en/getting_started#disabling
frablack1@gmail.com wrote:I would delete it, but it does not appear in Windows 7's Add/Remove Program table. That is VERY bad IMO. ALL programs should give their users a way to remove the program.
Adblock Plus for Firefox is a browser extension, not a program. Like all Firefox extensions, you can uninstall it from the Add-ons Manager.