adblock only blocks for wifi connections?

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
netuser258

adblock only blocks for wifi connections?

Post by netuser258 »

I have adblock plus (1.1.2) on my android phone (4.1) non-rooted. However, ads are not blocked on my default browser nor the firefox / chrome browsers. When I check its status it says "ads are blocked on wifi connection". Well that's nice but I don't use wifi because I use my data plan. So blocking on wifi & not letting me change it to block on my data connection does not do me any good. I haven't even bothered to check whether it even works on wifi because I just don't use wifi. Is this a known issue?
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: adblock only blocks for wifi connections?

Post by MonztA »

It only works for your data connection if your device is rooted.
netuser258

Post by netuser258 »

Well that sucks. Okay then. Thanks.
not me

Post by not me »

I think you can use adblock in with your mobile internet (in GSM areas, for the others i don't know).
1. Go to "more.." in settings for wireless (first part of the settings menu)
2. Go to "mobile networks" (http://support.google.com/android/bin/a ... wer=169097)
3. Go to "Access Point Names" (http://support.google.com/android/bin/a ... 097#mobile)
4. then klick on the point with internet and gprs (not the same on all devices. at mine it looks like: "E-Plus Web Gprs" or "Provider" Web Gprs)
5. then set the proxy and the port like in your wlan settings

Post by guest »

not me wrote:I think you can use adblock in with your mobile internet (in GSM areas, for the others i don't know).
1. Go to "more.." in settings for wireless (first part of the settings menu)
2. Go to "mobile networks" (http://support.google.com/android/bin/a ... wer=169097)
3. Go to "Access Point Names" (http://support.google.com/android/bin/a ... 097#mobile)
4. then klick on the point with internet and gprs (not the same on all devices. at mine it looks like: "E-Plus Web Gprs" or "Provider" Web Gprs)
5. then set the proxy and the port like in your wlan settings
thanks man, this helped
krishnan

Post by krishnan »

Hi,

I just got a brand new Nexus 4 and have a prepaid plan through T-Mobile. I have installed the Adblock Plus Apk and have set the proxy server to localhost and port to 2020.

When I try to search through Google search app or via the web, I still see the ads. Is there something I am doing wrong? In my settings, I navigated to Access Point Names and all I see it T-Mobile USA.

I updated the proxy and port to "localhost" and "2020" respectively. I used Google search to search for "phones" where I know I will see ads. Unfortunately the ads are not blocked on both the search app and the browser.

Please help.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Adblock Plus for Android cannot block ads on HTTPS sites/connections.
Zatrick

Post by Zatrick »

Hi,
I confirm the community taht on my HTC Sensation, I put the WiFi parameters on my two apn connexion prxy : localhost and port number : 2020, after I'm trying to go on a website other data 3G with ADB off, I've seen some pub, and with ADB on, on the same website no pub, ADB filter correctly other 3G.
Thank you for this application.
Sorry for my so bad English.
Regard's
Teridon

Post by Teridon »

MonztA wrote:It only works for your data connection if your device is rooted.
Can we possibly get an option to disable the "not configured" notifications when using a non-rooted device on a mobile network connection? It's is a bit annoying to keep getting the notification every time I exit WiFi range.

Thanks for your time
test tester

Post by test tester »

Open up the current APN your phone is using and write down all the settings (or take a screenshot). Create a new APN using all the same information except for the port name and settings (like you'd normally do for the wifi connection). It should be able to block over data then.
ABP8450

Post by ABP8450 »

test tester wrote:Open up the current APN your phone is using and write down all the settings (or take a screenshot). Create a new APN using all the same information except for the port name and settings (like you'd normally do for the wifi connection). It should be able to block over data then.
This would make sense if there were any "settings" to write down. I'm on a S4 running 4.3. To find the APN (Access Point Name), go to Settings -> Connections -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names. Select the current APN (in my case, LTE Verizon Internet). You will now see all the details about the APN. The problem is most options show as "Not Set," including the Port Name. There's really nothing to write down or remember. Additionally, the option to create a new APN is greyed out....and I'm running under Developer Mode.
NoAdsForMe

Post by NoAdsForMe »

Hi APB8450
ABP8450 wrote:This would make sense if there were any "settings" to write down. I'm on a S4 running 4.3. To find the APN (Access Point Name), go to Settings -> Connections -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names. Select the current APN (in my case, LTE Verizon Internet). You will now see all the details about the APN. The problem is most options show as "Not Set," including the Port Name. There's really nothing to write down or remember. Additionally, the option to create a new APN is greyed out....and I'm running under Developer Mode.
I also have an S4 and got ABP to work on my data connection by creating a new APN with all of the same details, except adding localhost as the Proxy and 2020 as the port. Make sure all other settings are the same as the default APN.

Select the new APN, disable and re-enable mobile data and away you go!
devid88

Post by devid88 »

It only works for your data connection if your device is rooted
blackhat2005

Post by blackhat2005 »

I'm new to Smart phones. I'm using the Samsung galaxy s3 mini in Israel that I got from the states. I assume from above posts that it's not rooted(?) (whatever that means (?)), and if this is the case, is there a fix?
Thanks in advance.

--A long time user of adblock on the pc.
Roggus

Post by Roggus »

Yeah, if I change my settings in connection menu as AdBlock wants it, I get no access to internet. Adblock works on wifi, but NOT over my data plan. Which kind of makes the app useless to me since 95% of the time I'm out of wifi range. Any fixes?