ABP icon missing in toolbar and Customize

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
rfcdvc

ABP icon missing in toolbar and Customize

Post by rfcdvc »

I can no longer see an Adblock Plus icon on my toolbar nor is it listed in the Customize Toolbar feature. Adblock extension is listed as enabled in the Add-ons tab. Have tried disabling/re-enabling, and re-installing the extension. No luck. Please advise how to re-enable the icon.

Windows 8
Firefox 22.0
Gingerbread Man

Re: ABP icon missing in toolbar and Customize

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Did you hide the add-on bar by any chance? Right-click an empty area of the tab bar and make sure "Add-on Bar" is checked. It can be toggled by pressing Ctrl + / which quite a few people do by accident.

If the add-on bar is visible and the icon isn't on any toolbar or in the Customize window,
  1. Type about:support into the address bar and press Enter.
  2. Click the Show Folder button. A Windows Explorer window with your Firefox profile folder opens.
  3. Exit Firefox.
  4. In the Windows Explorer window, rename the localstore.rdf file to localstore.rdf-old
  5. Restart Firefox. All your toolbar customizations will be gone, but the icon should be available.
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

one of adblock plus's settings-options is "show in addon bar".. make sure that that is enabled..
Anon

Post by Anon »

I've tried EVERYTHING, and I really mean everything, to restore the icon. Only one solution worked: downgrade APB to 2.2.2
rfcdvc

Post by rfcdvc »

Anon wrote:I've tried EVERYTHING, and I really mean everything, to restore the icon. Only one solution worked: downgrade APB to 2.2.2
I tried reverting to V2.2.2. Same deal... no icon. WTF???
MoreAnon

Post by MoreAnon »

I am having exactly the same problem - it started happening about a few weeks ago. If I remove the addon, restart, and then add it back, the button is only displayed until next time I restart :-(
Anon

Post by Anon »

rfcdvc wrote:
Anon wrote:I've tried EVERYTHING, and I really mean everything, to restore the icon. Only one solution worked: downgrade ABP to 2.2.2
I tried reverting to V2.2.2. Same deal... no icon. WTF???
One of the many - and last - everythings I did was to delete my prefs.js file in the profile folder.
DonGateley

Post by DonGateley »

Anon wrote:
rfcdvc wrote:
One of the many - and last - everythings I did was to delete my prefs.js file in the profile folder.
And the consequences of that are? What is lost doing that?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

prefs.js stores all your non-default Firefox and add-on preferences. That's all the items that appear in bold text when you type about:config into the address bar and press Enter.
pixelpadre

Post by pixelpadre »

SOLUTION:

I first had to go to Firefox, View, Toolbars, and click add-on bar. THEN I had to go to Firefox, Tools, Ad-block, Options, Show in Add on Bar.
xuxinha

Post by xuxinha »

Just do what Gingerbread Man said...
mausebaer

Post by mausebaer »

...I posted this:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21764&p=94557#p94557
but somebody locked the thread.

No hint helped, I tried everything.

Now I'm recognizng that ABP doesn't work at all anymore.
I cannot activate the clickbox for showing the icon in the symbol bar nor I can activate a filter list. After restarting Firefox everything is away....
... and I'm bothered again by advertisments...

If nobody can help me her, I'm afraid I have to say Goodbye to ABP... :cry:
mapx

Post by mapx »

@mausebear
try creating a new profile
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows

install only ABP and see if works, then add one by one the other addons to see if it's some conflict
IceBurgman

Post by IceBurgman »

I found that having both ABP and AdBlock Edge, with ABE installed last, caused the ABP icon not to show. If you have something related to ABP, remove it and ABP's icon should reappear.
mausebaer

Post by mausebaer »

My issue is solved, but I cannot really retrace how and why...

As I stated in my first thread I'm using a portable version of firefox.
For not making any mess to my running version, I tryied to make a copy for tinkering with it...
... curiously a couple of files were not accessible for copying, so I skipped them. I saw that they were files relating to ABP...

After starting the copy version of Firefox, a message told me that ABP has been installed properly. After that everything (also all other addons) work properly, also ABP, the icon is there, the filter lists work and the clickbox for showing the icon in the addon bar works also. Now I also can find the ABP menu item unter "Extras" ...

Wondrous healing... :D :?: :!:

The hell knows what was happening there...