Acceptable Ads should be off by default

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
zakhennahr

Acceptable Ads should be off by default

Post by zakhennahr »

The best way you can improve this feature is to disable it by default. Ask away during installation if we want to turn it on, and explain why we would want it on. But have it off by default. "AdBlock Edge", an add-on which does just that, is what I replaced ABP with just now. I am just saying, if you want AdBlock Plus to be the first choice for people who like having ads blocked, it should do what it says all the time...

I started out using ABP many years ago and want it to keep going; this is the best I can offer.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Acceptable Ads should be off by default

Post by MonztA »

This is not going to happen: en/acceptable-ads#default
smg77

Post by smg77 »

MonztA wrote:This is not going to happen: en/acceptable-ads#default
All that made sense before you guys started accepting cash for whitelisting. Now I don't believe it does.
mapx

Post by mapx »

smg77 wrote:
All that made sense before you guys started accepting cash for whitelisting. Now I don't believe it does.
you can disable "allow non intrusive advertising".
smg77

Post by smg77 »

mapx wrote:
smg77 wrote:
you can disable "allow non intrusive advertising".
I understand that. It's the justification for enabling it by default that is the question of this thread.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

We are aware that having it on by default means that we might not be the first choice for some people anymore when it comes to adblocking (usually those who are aware of the fact that they can turn it off but - don't ask me why - rather than that install a different extension). We updated the text on our Acceptable Ads page to better describe why it has to be enabled by default. On there you can read
No applicant will be favored or treated differently, and no one can buy their way onto the whitelist. Everyone has to comply with the criteria and everyone has to go through the same process before the ads qualify as "acceptable."
If you disagree, what would you propose instead of having Acceptable Ads? We're always trying to find solutions for providing the best user experience while growing our userbase without harming the free and open nature of the web.
dukefrezman

Post by dukefrezman »

hey have you took the option to not show acceptable ads away I haven't seen the option for it and I've looked through the all the options as well there's only 3 pages
mapx

Post by mapx »

dukefrezman wrote:hey have you took the option to not show acceptable ads away I haven't seen the option for it and I've looked through the all the options as well there's only 3 pages
go to filter preferences
the first tab (filter subscriptions)
at the bottom you can check / uncheck the "allow some non-intrusive advertising"
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

No, the option is still there…
Firefox: CTRL+SHIFT+F; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
Chrome/Opera: right-click on the Adblock Plus icon and select "Options"; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
Android/IE: Acceptable Ads is not available for those platforms yet
conscio

Post by conscio »

I've become used to adblock plus and it's complete functionality that lived up to it's name. I can understand the need to allow some form of ad revenue for sites but I don't think the way they are being whitelisted will stand up to long term user scrutiny, mainly because of lack of transparency. Like many freeware applications or other solutions that received initial success from essentially perfect end-user utility, adblock plus will certainly fork or be replaced if it ends up doing what will be required to enforce this kind of whitelisting by disabling original functionality. I include opt-out style changes to core functions as disabling since it assumes most user simply won't notice.

Also please consider the privacy issues caused by "acceptable" or even near-invisible ads that more and more users are addressing with other plugins that share the same subject.
SquirrelTactic

Post by SquirrelTactic »

greiner wrote:No, the option is still there…
Firefox: CTRL+SHIFT+F; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
Chrome/Opera: right-click on the Adblock Plus icon and select "Options"; it should be at the bottom of the dialog
Android/IE: Acceptable Ads is not available for those platforms yet
I am having trouble finding it as well. I did as you just said, and I don't see it there at all.

http://i.imgur.com/qV42yxW.png

There is no option for disabling Acceptable Ads. I followed the Chrome directions you posted, as I am using Chrome.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@SquirrelTactic

you are in the wrong place. You are using adblock (which does not have such a feature) which is another extension (this forum is supporting adblock plus)
SquirrelTactic

Post by SquirrelTactic »

Well, don't I feel dumb. Disregard my posts, then.