New "ad bar" above my Yahoo! mail list can't be blocked

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
Easypost2

Re: New "ad bar" above my Yahoo! mail list can't be blocked

Post by Easypost2 »

I deleted Fanboy, The ad-bar is still gone, so it must have been the update. Should I have Fanboy?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Easypost2 wrote:I deleted Fanboy, The ad-bar is still gone, so it must have been the update. Should I have Fanboy?
if you have easylist ... it's the same now
gmp51261

Post by gmp51261 »

Hello all responders -- I found the answer, partly due to one of the posters suggesting installing "Element Hiding Helper" for AdBlock Plus. It allowed me to find the offending domain. By the way, just blocking the element without wildcarding it will only block the current ad. A new one will pop up on next login. This rule worked, using Element Hiding Helper: us*.mail.yahoo.com###yui*

This will prevent subsequent reloads of new ads. The "First Page" and "Next Page" must be part of the script that is used to create these ads. It is useless, as a previous poster said. I will login to this email at least every other day and see if Yahoo! changes the hosting domain of its ad. It's really weird, that the script underlying the web page calls out to yieldmanager.com, and yet blocking scripts/ads from there had no effect. They are really getting devious with trying to foist ads on people. I even tried the "Ad Choices" option on all my Yahoo! accounts to see if that would stop it; it had no effect. I wouldn't have cared if they had put it on the row with the tabs for "inbox," "contacts," and "calendar." But putting it there had the effect of me deliberately having to avoid it when clicking on new emails. Not a good design.
gmp51261

Post by gmp51261 »

Well, I found out that there are no wildcards allowed in Element Hiding, so that was only good for one login. The problem seems to have been fixed overnight, as I updated my subscription to Easylist and now the ad is gone! Thanks for the update. I wish I knew what it was -- I'd like to see the filter updates. I spent a lot of time in the page HTML and wasn't able to block it. Kudos to the filter list updaters! :)
weezarc

Post by weezarc »

wanted to confirm what gmp51261 said, that updating the Easy List filter under adblock plus options cleared this stupid blue ad bar on top of your new emails
sbardizbanian

Post by sbardizbanian »

Thanks for the info guys. I download Ad Block Plus for Element Hiding helper and it did the trick - the ad was so annoying. I had called yahoo first thing this morning and they stated that my computer was infected and informed me that a lot of people were calling about this problem but claimed it wasn't from them. My IT guy did his magic, cleaned up my computer and said I was good to go. When I saw that stupid ad above my email again i almost flipped out until I read this post. I also have the Fist Page / Next Page in that space now but that's fine. Thanks again.
almightytora

Post by almightytora »

FYI: If you use the "old" Yahoo Mail (the Basic version), the blue ad bar still shows up.

Any idea on how to remove that?
Cartel

Post by Cartel »

I still see the ads!!
I updated easylist too, still there

almightytora

Post by almightytora »

Cartel wrote:I still see the ads!!

I just figured it out!

If you're using the "old" Yahoo e-mail version, there is a section called "fill" that makes that ad show up.

If you go to Adblocker Plus' Filter Preferences, go to Custom Filters, and then go to Element Hiding Rules, add this rule:

##div.fill

Close, and watch it disappear!
CARTEL

Post by CARTEL »

TY WORKS GREAT
John S

Post by John S »

Hi,

I tried adding this rule, but still see the ad. I've attached a screenshot to show. Did I do it correctly?

Thanks,
John

almightytora wrote:

I just figured it out!

If you're using the "old" Yahoo e-mail version, there is a section called "fill" that makes that ad show up.

If you go to Adblocker Plus' Filter Preferences, go to Custom Filters, and then go to Element Hiding Rules, add this rule:

##div.fill

Easypost

Post by Easypost »

I forced an update and that seemed to remove the blue text adbar for a while. But it is back now. I forced an update again but it did not help. The ad only shows in Yahoo Email classic, but does not show in the new email. I realize using email classic isn't suppose to work any more, but it does. I can switch between the two. The ad only shows in the classic version.

Post by Guest »

John S wrote:Hi,

I tried adding this rule, but still see the ad. I've attached a screenshot to show. Did I do it correctly?

Thanks,
John

almightytora wrote:

I just figured it out!

##div.fill

DUDE YOUR SETTINGS SAYS "DISABLE EVERYWHERE"...UM :roll:
Easypost

Post by Easypost »

I added the ##div.fill, as the poster said. And it removed the ad in Yahoo email classic. But I don't see where that disable everywhere option is. Is this ##div.fill filter going to cause problems in other web pages I visit?
Easypost

Post by Easypost »

You can ignore my comment about disable everywhere. I see it is for disabling the plug-in. But can someone tell me if ##div.fill filter will break other web-sites? Isn't there a way to make it specific to Yahoo? Thanks.