Howto disable all adblock plus internet connecting?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
samki

Howto disable all adblock plus internet connecting?

Post by samki »

What or how can adblock plus be disabled from connecting to the internet, calling home, checking for updates, checking for anything else, sending reports, sending any other data, and all and anything else, etc.?
redwolfe_98

Re: Howto disable all adblock plus internet connecting?

Post by redwolfe_98 »

samki wrote:What or how can adblock plus be disabled from connecting to the internet, calling home, checking for updates, checking for anything else, sending reports, sending any other data, and all and anything else, etc.?
you can disable the automatic-updating of the adblocking-filters by going into firefox's "about:config" and changing the setting to:

"extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_autoupdate" = "false"

i disable the automatic updating of the filter-lists only because i tweak the lists (and i don't want my tweaks undone)..

"adblock plus 2.3.1" introduced a new "messaging service" which i think is pure BS.. if you don't want your computer to be open to having whoever send BS through the "messaging service", you could use "adblock plus 2.3.0" instead of using the newer versions.. i use the old 2.3.0 version which doesn't include the "messaging service"..

here is what "adblock plus" has to say about their new "messaging service" that was introduced in "adblock plus 2.3.1" :

development-builds/notifications-in-adblock-plus

in my book, the "messaging service" amounts to nothing more than a "spam-machine", used for sending spam (popup-ads)..

here is what "adblock plus" says about their collecting data:

en/about#privacy

personally, i don't worry about adblock plus's "phoning home" or anything like that, but i am concerned about adblock plus's adding a "messaging service" to "adblock plus" which, as i said, in my book, is nothing more that a "spam-machine", used for sending "spam" (popup-ads)..
N/A

Post by N/A »

Where an enabled preference is not available to control unwanted connections or you want to take an extra step to prevent unwanted connections from happening you can usually get away with modifying the related URLs so that an attempt to use them will fail. Example: set them to an empty string or change the host:port so the attempted connection will be to localhost:unusedport.

By reviewing the code and doing some testing you can help confirm that this approach will work smoothly.
bart

Post by bart »

so what options control this notifications feature? i found 2 in about:config

extensions.adblockplus.notificationdata

extensions.adblockplus.notificationurl

i think the second one has to be changed
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

The notification service is in the extension but as of right now has never been used and we only intend to use it in rare cases. It's intended to help us notify users for example when we lose control over the extension like it happened when Google kicked our Android app from the Play store.

FYI: We intend to add an opt-out mechanism for those notifications in the near future to tackle those concerns.