Data usage for ABP on Android

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
jolebole

Re: AdBlock ate 1.5Gb of data in one day

Post by jolebole »

tst wrote:It's a well reported bug that has not been fixed. Due to data usage adblock should not be used on cellular networks

forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11790
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17934
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17712
forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11849
The first thread explained a lot. If AdBlock continues to download the data from a video that I have watched even after I exited the video player...that might have happened to me. But its still an unacceptable bug. It should be fixed asap. :roll:
BartmanJax

Re: [data usage] Absolutely disappointed

Post by BartmanJax »

xanji wrote:Let's stay on topic here. I was charged in overages because of a bug in ABP that I was not notified of beforehand. All I'd like is a simple notice on the app that says this MAY happen and that users should be prepared. I would have kept a much closer eye on things if I had known. -.-
Me too. I installed ABP on my Nexus 7 (2013) running 4.3. Fortunately, my N7 only connects via WiFi. I've had the app installed for a few days and my data usage on the app was 1.3GB. Seriously? 1.3GB of data usage? No wonder my N7 was running slow and sites were slow to load on Chrome for Android.

The app is now gone off my N7 and there is NO WAY IN HELL I will install it on my GNex or any other phone for that matter.

I have the app on my desktop PC and it works good. No issues. Blocks ads fine and I'm not worried about data usage on my PC since I basically have unlimited data.
Jcmdp34

Re: Data usage for ABP on Android

Post by Jcmdp34 »

It is definitely not just android. I installed ABP thinking it would help. Stupid me for not having data usage notifications enabled. I've just never had a problem. I only average about 500MB per month and I have a 2GB plan.

The day I installed ABP, I was watching a few videos on youtube. Then that evening I received two texts from my carrier that I had gone over my limit. The texts both came at the same time. The first was to notify me I went over the 2GB limit and it was adding another GB at $10. The second text was to notify me I had already burned through the extra GB and another one was added. This was over the course of a single day!

Something is seriously wrong with ABP and you'd be crazy for using it. I have not had a single issue since I uninstalled ABP, and my data usage has went back to normal levels no matter what I do on my phone.

Thanks for trying, but you failed miserably ABP. I'll still to AdAway.
Corey04SI

Post by Corey04SI »

Can we get some compensation for this?

Obviously someone did not test this software before they released it into production.

I had lost 2 GB in one day luckly I have a 5GB data plan but my billing cycle started the day the 2GB was used.

Please can someone follow up from ABP because I have had some billing issues with Rogers now with a couple of phones we have due to this plugin.
Numbawon

Post by Numbawon »

Just opened my adblock on android this morning to be super mad.

I've used it for many months and this is the first time I'd done this. My filter update is stuck on DOWNLOADNG and it's used all but 7MB of my allotted traffic on my phone plan. This is real data, I can confirm with verizons website that I am 7MB from hitting my limit with 30 days left in the billing cycle. Had to up my data plan and might end up uninstalling adblock and just blocking ads from the back end.
I dont use over the air data so I have the lowest possible package (300mb) and it really bit me in the ass.

Numbawon

Post by Numbawon »

Numbawon wrote:Just opened my adblock on android this morning to be super mad.

I've used it for many months and this is the first time I'd done this. My filter update is stuck on DOWNLOADNG and it's used all but 7MB of my allotted traffic on my phone plan. This is real data, I can confirm with verizons website that I am 7MB from hitting my limit with 30 days left in the billing cycle. Had to up my data plan and might end up uninstalling adblock and just blocking ads from the back end.
I dont use over the air data so I have the lowest possible package (300mb) and it really bit me in the ass.

quoting my own post

Just going to post this before anyone tells me it just displays data that passes thru adblock and it doesnt count on your bill

SL

Post by SL »

A workaround would to switch aeroplane mode off and on after you watch videos, that may break the downloading in the background. Same with restarting ADB.
fhd

Post by fhd »

Wow, this is horrible. I'm sorry, it looks like no dev was aware of this because it looked like the double-reporting thing.

We got a pull request that seems to fix this (that's how I noticed), we'll have to test a bit more and then we'll merge it and make a fix release.
Last edited by fhd on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
qa-blamer-for-life

Post by qa-blamer-for-life »

Thats crazy though I'm glad it finally got patched. Release date??
fhd

Post by fhd »

It's already in the dev build, and I'm pretty sure we'll have that fix release out next week.
qa-blamer-for-life

Post by qa-blamer-for-life »

THanks bro I'll use the dev build and surely deliver any concerns :)
fhd

Post by fhd »

We've just released 1.1.4, that ought to fix this.
Ferd Berfel

Post by Ferd Berfel »

I burned through 4 gb in a day, watched one netflix movie set at low resolution tethered to my nexus 7. Was charged for 4 gig, not just showing usage for app on phone. This was a couple of weeks ago. So, does anyone know if this update has solved the problem? Would like to reinstall abp but wont use it until data usage on cell networks is solved.
mapx

Post by mapx »

fhd (ABP developer) already indicated a link:
releases/adblock-plus-114-for-android-released

that release addressed exactly that bug

(If you already have Adblock Plus for Android, it should notify you about the update shortly and download it automatically.)
DanielB

Post by DanielB »

I too have INSANE data usage from adblock plus on my rooted Nexus 4. 800MB-1.2GB per day, and it is not the sum of all other app data usage due to traffic "passing though the app". This data is being consumed whilst the phone is in standby, whilst all other traffic adds up to barely 30MB.

I've no idea what's going on, but I'm not having it on my phone that's for damn sure!