How to UNblock

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Beartooth

How to UNblock

Post by Beartooth »

Adblock has suddenly started blocking something I want. I don't see any way to unblock it. Where is that??
rick752

Re: How to UNblock

Post by rick752 »

Beartooth wrote:Adblock has suddenly started blocking something I want. I don't see any way to unblock it. Where is that??
Can you give an example page and what (if any) subscriptions you are using?

If you know what it is in the blockable items list, you can simply just 'disable' that filter string by clicking the green bullet next to that string if it is in a subscription. If it is your own filter string, simply delete it.
Beartooth

How to UNblock

Post by Beartooth »

My local access provider, citizens.coop, offers a speedtest at http://speedtest.citizens.coop/ -- which I've been using, every once in a while, for months.

Suddenly all that shows there is the word adblock, in what looks like a tab -- it has a line around three sides.

I clicked the green button. No change. I deleted the line. No change.

Not even disabling adblock altogether gets me the test back.

Somewhere, I *think*, I've seen a kind of whitelist, or list of exceptions to blocking, or some such; but I can't seem to get back to it again -- neither by right-clicking on the blocked page, nor by clicking on AdblockPlus in the Tools menu.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

That test works fine for me ... it is a flash object. You're not blocking flash or javascript with something else are you (javascript need to be enabled for that also)?

Also, try turning off "Show tabs on Flash and Java" in the ABP 'options' and keep it off unless you want to block a flash ad sometime.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Just for fun I tested it with show tabs on flash or java enabled and it didn't interfere with the page layout at all..so I don't think that is the cause here. I would suspect another app or maybe extension. I also disabled javascript to see what it would look like and I got "Speed Test requires at least version 7 of Flash. Please update your client." so that doesn't sound like what Beartooth is getting either.

Beartooth, did you install a Firewall or other security software recently? Or any app for that matter that could explain what's happening?

Also I did a google search of images to see if I could see adblock with a green tab/button. I didn't find anything that I thought was what you described. Can you post a screenshot?
Beartooth

How to UNblock

Post by Beartooth »

I'm running NoScript, and it does not offer any options on the speedtest site.

I'll be glad to post screenshot(s) -- of my Adblock or anything else -- if someone can point me to a place that walks people through. (I can *take* a screenshot easily enough, since I keep a launcher for that app on my #2 panel; but I don't know where Fedora 6 puts it, nor how to get it from there into a post.)
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Is there a possibility that your speedtest has been updated with a newer version of Flash that you haven't updated yet?

... just a thought. It may explain the border without the animation.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

but I don't know where Fedora 6 puts it
Flash for Linux is beta at best right now isn't it? The fact that you was using Linux would have been good to know in your first post.
Peng

Post by Peng »

IceDogg wrote:Flash for Linux is beta at best right now isn't it? The fact that you was using Linux would have been good to know in your first post.
Flash 7 has been out for Linux for ages. The first final release of Flash 9 for Linux came out a few weeks ago, while there had been public betas for a few months.

Edit: Oops, week-old thread. I usually only check this forum once a week or so. Oh well.
Matt Nordhoff