[Done] Attaching ABP blockable item window to the bottom

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Parson

[Done] Attaching ABP blockable item window to the bottom

Post by Parson »

I usually use the ABP blockable items window detached so I get the full view on all columns.

But in case you want to use the "blink feature" (clicking on an item in the list makes the item on the page blink) the window covers most of the screen and you have to move it around or resize it.
Mostly I end up reattaching the window but then again the columns are too small to see what line to select.

The best way would be if we could not only attach the window to the left but also to the bottom.

Maybe you could get some code that does this from the webdeveloper extension. There's that "Edit CSS" window with a toolbar button. Clicking this moves the window clockwise, means it attaches to the top, right, bottom or left.

Would be great if ABP had something similar.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I detached it and positioned it at the bottom myself worked fine for me. Because it remembers where you put it and what size adjustments you make.

Not exactly what you asking but gets very close to the same resolutes.
Parson

Post by Parson »

Then it's maybe a lack of knowledge on my side.

How exactly did you do this? When I click on reattach the window always snaps to the left side of the browser. Just moving the unattached window to the bottom also doesn't help .
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Just detach and position the window exactly how you want it. Changing the shape by dragging the edges. Then every time you bring up the blockable item window it should stay in that same position. Don't reattach as that seems to (I assume) reset everything. Just when your done click the X to exit the window.

Assumptions I'm making here are:
1. You are using Windows (XP or Vista, Don't know about earlier versions)
2. Firefox 2 or greater (Maybe earlier versions too, but I haven't tested those).
Parson

Post by Parson »

Now I know what you mean; so you don't reattach the window but use it only resized at the bottom.

This has some disadvantages because it still covers a part of the window. Reattaching is so smart because it automatically resizes the browser window and you can switch to a bigger view with just a click.

So I'd still prefer a way attaching the window directly on all possible sides, if this would be possible.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Ok, I see what you mean now. I can see where a block able item could get behind the window.. I make mine small at the bottom but if your resolution is lower I can see this being a problem. Sorry I couldn't help more. Maybe WP will take a look and see what if anything he wants to change.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

You can do this with some little css magic in your userChrome.css or Stylish:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xul) {
  #browser {
    -moz-box-orient: vertical;
    -moz-box-direction: reverse; /* comment out to have the "sidebar" on top */
  }
  #browser > splitter {
    cursor: n-resize !important;
    border-width: 2px 0 !important;
    border-style: solid !important;
    -moz-border-top-colors: ThreeDShadow ThreeDHighlight !important;
    -moz-border-bottom-colors: ThreeDDarkShadow ThreeDFace !important;
    min-height: 6px !important;
  }
}
(Note that this code will move the sidebar to the bottom regardless of what it displays - history or bookmarks or whatever sidebar will be moved as well. If you use these, this is probably a bit inconvenient. I'd suggest you use Stylish then. With this you can just enable/disable the style when needed without restarting Firefox.)
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Dr. Evil that messes up big time in the Minefield builds. Just a FYI.. or it did on mine.
Parson

Post by Parson »

Works for me. But you're right, the fact that it affects all sidebars diminishes the joy of this workaround.
Dr. Evil

Post by Dr. Evil »

IceDogg wrote:Dr. Evil that messes up big time in the Minefield builds. Just a FYI.. or it did on mine.
I used a Minefield build when testing and writing the code... Maybe it's the theme (I'm using the "classic" 1.5 theme and many styles in Stylish to make it look better and work in Minefield...)
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I use default theme too. Could be another style. I'll look into it.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

well, there is an (almost) very cool solution. the sidebar loads

Code: Select all

chrome://adblockplus/content/sidebar.xul
but for some reason gives an 'Adblock hasn't been installed properly' error when loaded in a page. then, you could install Split Browser to make a window anywhere you want and load ABP blockable items into it.

wp, any reason the chrome can't be loaded in a page?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yes, you cannot load this just anywhere - it needs a link to the window it should display elements of.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

could this be done? it seems it would work just like tabs - whatever tab has focus shows its items, same with a multipane view, whichever pane has focus.

the whole hardcoded and singular sidebar in Fx is fairly poor design. with split browser, there is ultimate user choice. no reason xul can't load in a pane.

OP is correct, it's fundamentally 'horizontal' content.

as always, thanks.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

The current development build shows the list of blockable items at the bottom of the browser window. It seems to work well, this change should still be considered experimental however. Please test.