Ad block slow firefox start up in 8 seconds!!

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
alternative

Ad block slow firefox start up in 8 seconds!!

Post by alternative »

Hi i use ad block plus2.4 on firefox 21, and when this is enable firefox take 10 seconds to open, when i disable this open in 2 seconds!

So have any way to speed up this?
mapx

Re: Ad block slow firefox start up in 8 seconds!!

Post by mapx »

what subscriptions are enabled ?
alternative

Post by alternative »

mapx wrote:what subscriptions are enabled ?
All defalt options, easy list,fanboy list, easyprivacy and malware domain.

Should i disable anyone? or all?
mapx

Post by mapx »

well you must keep easylist. Test using only easylist, then add/re-enable easyprivacy
fanboy blocking list is merged with easylist ...so you can remove it
malware list only if you visit ..."strange" sites but however your security software (antivirus, firewall) should take care of dangerous things
alternative

Post by alternative »

mapx wrote:well you must keep easylist. Test using only easylist, then add/re-enable easyprivacy
fanboy blocking list is merged with easylist ...so you can remove it
malware list only if you visit ..."strange" sites but however your security software (antivirus, firewall) should take care of dangerous things
I leave only easylist and still the same time to open :(
mapx

Post by mapx »

try keeping only ABP (disable other extensions) ==> see the delay

also, you could try a fresh profile (See my signature)
petitnicolas

Post by petitnicolas »

Yes, Abblock slow down Firefox start up.
Strangely, Chrome's startup is fast even if Adblock is installed...
rnewman

Post by rnewman »

This is dramatically affecting some Android users, too —

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795436
Redlightning7777

Post by Redlightning7777 »

Having same issue as of late. :(

Post by Guest »

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. I've reported this issue months ago and I see that it's still happening not just for me, but for other users as well. And yes, as suggested plenty of times before, I've ensured that only Easylist was the only thing subscribed and that none of the other options were enabled, yet the slow startup issue persists.
Ede_123

Post by Ede_123 »

This is definitely an issue. I just tested on my Firefox setup. As a measure I looked at the "firstPaint" event time according to about:healthreport raw data:

2386 ms mean (over 5 startups) with Adblock Plus disabled
5599 ms mean (over 5 startups) with Adblock Plus enabled

Adblock Plus adds around 3.2 seconds on top of the normal startup time.
This means startup time increases by a factor of more than 2 (about 2.35 to be exact; this means an increasement of 135 %)!
Oldtimer615

Post by Oldtimer615 »

I am experiencing the problem with Firefox 27.0 and Adblock Plus 2.4.1. Unchecking all of the filters does not help the problem.
fu510n

Post by fu510n »

+1

I have a brand new fairly high-end computer running at 4.3Ghz, with 2 new sata3 SSD's in raid-0 and 8gb ddr3-2133 RAM, running windows 8.1 pro freshly installed last night, using FF 27.0.1.

Adblock plus FF extension adds about 5 extra seconds onto my firefox loading times, not just on first start, even every warm load of FF is as slow as my old celeron 2Ghz laptop with 1GB ddr2 ram and a 5400rpm IDE HDD.

It adds more loading time to FF (even with no filters installed) than NoScript, Ghostery, Lazarus, IDM, Flash Video Downloader, LastPass do COMBINED!

Definitely something wrong when Battlefield bad company 2 or Adobe photoshop load faster..

I did notice however that once FF is open, I can load over 20 copies of it faster than the initial load, combinbed, with each consecutive copy loading instantly.

Another thing I noticed is that when loading, once the FF window is open but before the FF homepage is loaded, a large set of icons opens op and disappers on the toolbar.

http://imgur.com/vf0PNez,AxBBGNT#0

http://imgur.com/vf0PNez,AxBBGNT#1

Would love to see this fixed fairly soon.

Let me know theres any info I can provide to help :)
Jaryth

Post by Jaryth »

Actually having theses same issues myself. Just finished building my new computer, and after over $2k spent, I found Firefox loaded slower than my old computer with a fresh profile and almost nothing in FF changed.
20 minutes of Troubleshooting led me to Adblock Plus. With ABP disabled I get 2-3 second load times. With it enabled I get 8-9 second load times, nearly 3 times slower. Currently running EasyList, Fanboy's Social Block list (which is not incorporated in EasyList, I just updated it and checked), and EasyPrivacy.

Even disabling all of the lists (without actually deleting them) still takes 5-6 seconds to start up. Just the act of checking or unchecking the EasyList box causes it to lock up for a few seconds.

Both new and old computer are using Firefox 27.0.1 and APB 2.4.1. The old computer even has more lists (the Malware list) and consistently loads faster for no reason I can tell.

---

Just tried creating a new blank profile. Load times: 1-2 seconds. Installed ABP with the 3 default/recommended lists that it shows at first install. Allowed those lists to update, and restated firefox a few times. 7-8 second load times. With no other extensions, with no bookmarks, no history, nothing else. Thats a solid 4-5x slower load times. So its definitely something odd going on with ABP.

Now on the flip side, ABP is purely amazing. Honestly dont know if I can stand to even be on the internet anymore without ABP.
Add to that the fact that I rarely close Firefox in the first place (When I go to sleep, and when I go to work. Otherwise its always open), the extra 10-15 seconds a day that ABP costs me is overwhelmingly worth it.

Still, I hope this is just a simple bug.

More information available on request.
Oldtimer615

Post by Oldtimer615 »

Is there any chance that someone from Eyeo could respond to this thread? Perhaps they might indicate if someone is looking into and if there might be some sort of fix forthcoming for the problem.