/adimage requests in access logs

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
karthikeyankomar

/adimage requests in access logs

Post by karthikeyankomar »

Team
Since last week, we have been seeing increased number of 404s due to customer browsers requesting urls like www.mydomain.com/adimages. There is no pattern of User agent, IPs, OS etc., I am thinking this is more to do with the users browser plugin. But couldn't tell how all of the sudden these plugins could be requesting wrong URLs.

I verified the ADblock settings in my browser and see that there is afilter option for *-adimage-*. Since this setting is present in adblock settings, I assume this is a known url that adblock wants to block; But I couldn't still tell how the end-users of my site are getting these URLs and how all of a sudden it started since last week.

Any one has come across such request URLs containing /adimages?

Thanks
Karthik
mapx

Re: /adimage requests in access logs

Post by mapx »

there is also the filter

Code: Select all

/adimages.
karthikeyankomar

Post by karthikeyankomar »

Any thoughts how this URL /adimages is getting triggered?
confusedanalyst

Post by confusedanalyst »

Hey!

Also seeing this here in our server logs - since 22nd Jan we've had windows users over different browsers and IPs requesting /adimages/. Doesn't occur on our internal network only external windows users.

Unsure as to why and we can't replicate it internally as plugins are blocked but will try to replicate externally.

Thanks
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

What makes you think Adblock Plus might cause this?
Kevin Haynes

Post by Kevin Haynes »

Did anyone figure this out? We're seeing the same 404 intermittent requests to "/adimages/".
mapx

Post by mapx »

greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Adblock Plus is not requesting resources apart from filterlists and emergency notifications (as far as I'm aware of and could find out quickly looking through the code). What I can imagine, however, is that some scripts do not handle blocked elements correctly and try to request a fallback resource or that some other extension causes this.

Do you have an example website where this occurs?