[Done] Removing "Block in local pages"

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] Removing "Block in local pages"

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I have just extended the definition of "local pages" to data: and javascript: URLs to make sure images in those can be blocked as well (greetings to Yahoo). Given this, does the option "Block remote ads in local pages" still make sense? It seems that it should be always switched on, I don't see any reasons why one would switch it off. The original idea was that local pages should be treated as special since you open them from your disk and they are under your control. However, this special treatment seems to be unjustified.

I would remove both the visible option in the user interface and the preference in about:config. Then I could kill the "Not a remote page" message in the sidebar since it is basically the same old "No blockable items" now. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogoban

Post by gogoban »

I do not see a problem. I have it on all the time without issues. And if someone has problems, he can whitelist a local page.

What is the (technical) definition of a local page? file://? Or special IP (127.0.0.1)? Or is it something Firefox defines itself?
Wladimir Palant

Technically it is everything you have in extensions.adblockplus.localschemes which is mostly file:// and a few mail schemes. Starting with Adblock Plus 0.7.2.4 it will be data: and javascript: as well - while you shouldn't be able to block data: and javascript: URLs, blocking remote images in them should be possible.
ziutek

Post by ziutek »

Go ahead. This option never made much sense - the fact that a file is local does not in any way imply that it should be trusted more.
sheepy

Post by sheepy »

I'd say no special treatment. I occasionally grab reference sites since it's faster to browse them offline. And sometimes I may want to block their banner / logo to maximise content area.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

The ads should just be blocked either way (local or online). You could always just disable ABP if you had a need otherwise.
Peng

Post by Peng »

I agree with removing it. Whoever doesn't want to block ads in local pages for some reason can whitelist them.
Matt Nordhoff
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I too agree. Remove it, whitelist if you need to see the ads on pages your have stored or such. JMO
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

Another vote for removing it. I'm all for simplifying.
What, me worry?
ecjs

Post by ecjs »

Yep.
Wladimir Palant

It seems we are unanimous on this. I will remove this option them.
Wladimir Palant

Done, this option has been removed in the current development build.