blocking ads on android 4, mobile networks

Everything about using the stand-alone Adblock Plus app on Android
trueriver

blocking ads on android 4, mobile networks

Post by trueriver »

is the method for doing this known?

I have just got this working on an unrooted phone running Android 4.1.2, that is it now blocks ads on the 3g network as well as Wi-Fi.

I did this by adding localhost port 2020 as the proxy in the APN (NB not the MMSC proxy, which should not be altered)

If the method is not widely known I'll be happy to explain how I did it
in more detail

River~~
head2beach

Re: blocking ads on android 4, mobile networks

Post by head2beach »

A lot of people including me seem to have issues with this so an explanation on how you got it to work would be appreciated.

Post by Guest »

trueriver wrote:I did this by adding localhost port 2020 as the proxy in the APN (NB not the MMSC proxy, which should not be altered)
GREAT! Thanks a lot, River! Now Adblock Plus works fine on mobile connections! :mrgreen:

Post by Guest »

head2beach wrote:A lot of people including me seem to have issues with this so an explanation on how you got it to work would be appreciated.
You have to go to "Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data -> Access Point names", select your apn and write in "Proxy" the word "localhost" and in "Port" the number "2020".

On my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2 Adblock Plus works, try this procedure on your smartphone too and let me know...

At the moment the only problem I have with Adblock Plus is when I reboot my device: although I have root permissions, Adblock doesn't filter any advertisements if I don't set the proxy in ALL my internet (mobile and/or wi-fi) networks.
kindlefireuser

Post by kindlefireuser »

But this isn't working because it use to block all ads like I wanted before the new update and now it blocks nothing on my tablet and I've done the proxy and the port so it's not my information
LTH

Post by LTH »

I did the same thing by myself i.e. change the APN and add proxy localhost + port 2020 once Adblock Plus is running
Galaxy K Zoom with KitKat

Why is it not documented ??? It's great !
Abb

Post by Abb »

guys you rocking...!!!!! it work's...!!!!
yaamen

Post by yaamen »

Guest wrote:
head2beach wrote:A lot of people including me seem to have issues with this so an explanation on how you got it to work would be appreciated.
You have to go to "Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data -> Access Point names", select your apn and write in "Proxy" the word "localhost" and in "Port" the number "2020".

On my smartphone Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android 4.1.2 Adblock Plus works, try this procedure on your smartphone too and let me know...

At the moment the only problem I have with Adblock Plus is when I reboot my device: although I have root permissions, Adblock doesn't filter any advertisements if I don't set the proxy in ALL my internet (mobile and/or wi-fi) networks.
Just updating the path to take for a Galaxy S5, in case anyone needs it.

Settings -> More Networks ->Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names -> select your carrier's name and under "Proxy", write "localhost" (without quotation marks) and under Port, write "2020" (again, with the quotes).

Then in the top right hand corner, touch the three dots for the menu and select "Save". Boom. You're done!

OP, thanks so much for explaining this. :)
lloydel

Post by lloydel »

Thanks, but it seems that Verizon does not allow me to set a proxy on VZWINTERNET. All the setting options are dimmed out. Is there any way to get around this?

Galaxy S5
stigc

Post by stigc »

Hi

I have done this change on a Samsung Galaxy S3 tablet, and the only issue I have found is with the youtube app.
After viewing a few vidoes, it seems to disconnect from the Network, and the app has to closed amd then restarted,
and it works Again, there are no problem using the app with wifi connected..
Sandshark

Post by Sandshark »

lloydel wrote:Thanks, but it seems that Verizon does not allow me to set a proxy on VZWINTERNET. All the setting options are dimmed out. Is there any way to get around this?

Galaxy S5
Most US carriers won't let you change this. BUT, you can ADD another using the Menu key and duplicate everything in the standard one and then add the proxy and call it something else. Once you've created it, select it and you are good to go. It works great for me on AT&T.

And thanks to the OP. I just changed phones (same model and OS) because my charge port quit on the old one. While ABP worked on the old one, it did not on the new. I suspect that there is something amiss in the installation that no longer does this on its own. Maybe not "amiss", but necessary for compatibility with newer OS's. It was probably set up correctly on my old phone when I installed an older version of ABP and stayed that way when I updated. But installing the current version initially didn't do the job.

This will probably even work for a non-rooted phone, but I can't say since mine is rooted.
FL530

Post by FL530 »

Works unrooted! Also, might be worth noting : I had to reboot to get it working properly.

----
edit: :x was working, then got an update, and now it's not working. still have localhost:2020 on all my apns, and nothing. .. fwiw, here's my specs:

Samsung Galaxy S5
Lolipop 5.0
Ting/Sprint
CDMA /LTE

If there is anything else I should add to the above information, I'll be more than happy to do so.
Cillendor

Post by Cillendor »

Guest wrote:

This isn't working for my phone (carrier Republic Wireless). I get to Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data, and the only option ("Network Mode: Home Only") is darkened. Once I get here, I can't go any further. Is there a workaround?
memlsf

Post by memlsf »

Just did it and it worked on my unrooted Galaxy S3. No reboot was needed. Thanks a lot!