[OS.File API] Compatibility

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

[OS.File API] Compatibility

Post by guest »

The latest ABP dev build (2.5.1.3789) works fine in Firefox 18. Why is it marked as compatible with only Gecko 19+?
Related changeset: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplus/rev/3af12903c104

Re: Compatibility

Post by guest »

bump
(2.5.1.3791 still seems to work with Fx 18. Also, there are no ABP-related messages in Error Console.)
mapx

Post by mapx »

https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/153

"We should drop the hacks in favor of ​OS.File API which provides async versions of all necessary file operations. Most of it became available with Firefox 18 meaning that we have to drop support for Firefox 17 "

most of it ==> probably os.file api became stable since firefox 19

Post by guest »

Thanks for your reply. This is a standard release (downloaded from mozilla.org) Firefox 18.0.2 with no special configuration to enable "unstable" APIs, so since OS.File is enabled and working here, it should be "stable".

Also, I decided to run code that displays all enumerable and exposed properties of OS.File and OS.File.prototype in this browser, and all the properties of each that ABP depends on are there and they don't obviously look like they would only throw errors...

What am I missing?
(Is it working only because I'm on Linux, and some other platforms didn't get OS.File until Gecko 19?)
mapx

Re: [OS.File API] Compatibility

Post by mapx »

put your comments in the issue (see the link above) and probably a developer will answer your doubts

Post by guest »

mapx wrote:put your comments in the issue (see the link above) and probably a developer will answer your doubts
I'm pretty sure that the developers are correct in marking Gecko 18 incompatible (my system here is a testing environment). I was just curious why; the issue tracker somehow doesn't seem an appropriate place to ask that kind of question, and posting on a closed issue doesn't feel like it will be noticed.
Are you saying the devs don't read the forums??

Do the developers read and respond to emails sent to the addresses mentioned on the hg repositories?
mapx

Post by mapx »

you can try comment in that issue

or
in their irc channel
server irc://irc.mozilla.org
channel adblockplus

http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server ... dblockplus

blog/adblock-plus-development-irc-channel-is-now-open
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Quoting my reply for the issue tracker:
The documentation on OS.File isn't very clear as far as compatibility goes - most of it landed in Gecko 18, some changes were added in Gecko 19 however. I decided to go with Gecko 19 because I didn't want to risk subtle behavior differences breaking something. Why is that important? Anybody should be using Firefox 28 or at the very least Firefox 24 ESR right now, there is absolutely no good reason to use Firefox 18.