Very strange behavior of ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon or is it FF?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
SteveJ

Very strange behavior of ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon or is it FF?

Post by SteveJ »

Firefox 24.0/24.5.0 ESR or earlier with ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon...no pop-up** from sites such as https://thepiratebay.se or http://chaturbate.com

Any versions of Firefox after version 24.0 from FF 25.0 to the latest FF 29.0 with ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon, always pop-ups from these two sites (https://thepiratebay.se or http://chaturbate.com).

**Very strange type of Pop-up/small window that opens and closes so fast that you couldn't see what's in there, its just a flash window!

Is it ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon or is it Firefox?
Gingerbread Man

Re: Very strange behavior of ABP/ABP Pop-Up Addon or is it FF?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

SteveJ wrote:Very strange type of Pop-up/small window that opens and closes so fast that you couldn't see what's in there
  1. Firefox's built-in pop-up blocker is very permissive. It will often open pop-ups that you don't want.
  2. Adblock Plus can usually prevent most pop-ups. In some cases, the pop-up window will still open, but the content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly. That's normal behavior.
  3. Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon (from a different author), is supposedly able to prevent pop-up windows from opening altogether. However, you need appropriate blocking filters. Make sure you have "Block all pop-ups" rules for the site that tries to open the pop-up, not the site that opens inside the pop-up.
    :arrow: http://jessehakanen.net/adblockpluspopupaddon/
Steve_J2

Post by Steve_J2 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
SteveJ wrote:Very strange type of Pop-up/small window that opens and closes so fast that you couldn't see what's in there
  1. Firefox's built-in pop-up blocker is very permissive. It will often open pop-ups that you don't want.
  2. Adblock Plus can usually prevent most pop-ups. In some cases, the pop-up window will still open, but the content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly. That's normal behavior.
  3. Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon (from a different author), is supposedly able to prevent pop-up windows from opening altogether. However, you need appropriate blocking filters. Make sure you have "Block all pop-ups" rules for the site that tries to open the pop-up, not the site that opens inside the pop-up.
    :arrow: http://jessehakanen.net/adblockpluspopupaddon/
Thanks Gingerbread Man 8) ! I spent almost 2 hrs trying out all the available options from your link http://jessehakanen.net/adblockpluspopupaddon, and I'm still getting the "normal behavior" aka content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly :evil:

I'm reasonable and NOT expecting ABP or ABP Pop-Up Addon to solve all the possible pop-ups on the WWW, but the thing is with Firefox 24.0 or older, I don't get the "normal behavior" aka "content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly" at all, so what gives?

Best regards.
Gingerbread Man

Steve_J2 wrote:content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly :evil:
I've tested the add-on and it seems to behave as if "Close blocked windows after a small delay to prevent the site from detecting it" is checked although it's not. Contact the author for support at the address I linked to above.
Steve_J2 wrote:I'm reasonable and NOT expecting ABP or ABP Pop-Up Addon to solve all the possible pop-ups on the WWW
If there are unblocked ads (including pop-up windows), you can report them in the Filters forum and a filter list maintainer will see if anything can be done about it.
forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Steve_J2 wrote:the thing is with Firefox 24.0 or older, I don't get the "normal behavior" aka "content won't load and the window will automatically close very quickly" at all, so what gives?
As I said before, there are cases when Adblock Plus won't be able to prevent a blank window from opening, but will quickly close it automatically.
Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon is supposed to prevent blank windows from opening, but it doesn't. You have to ask its author why.

Personally, I don't allow any pop-ups by default.
  1. I have dom.popup_allowed_events set to an empty value, which doesn't allow any pop-ups whatsoever (including links that try to open in a new tab through target="_blank" and file upload prompts).
  2. I have browser.link.open_newwindow set to 1, which makes links that try to open in a new window open in the current tab. Whether a link opens in a new tab or not should be my choice. I either middle-click or Ctrl+click the link for a new tab, or Shift+click for a new window.
  3. Trusted sites are added to the pop-up blocker exceptions under Options - Content - Exceptions.
  4. For the occasional sites that aren't whitelisted but try to open useful pop-ups, I click the pop-up blocking notification on the right edge of the address bar and open the pop-up manually.
Tingen

Post by Tingen »

I have the same problem, but want to be able to remedy it in reverse... I'd like to be able to allow popup windows when required, but can't see anywhere in the ABP options where to do this. Specifically I have a music player on my own web site (tingen.org) that used to open fine, but recently ABP has started blocking it, as described above (the window opens and then closes very quickly). This window obviously is not an advertisement, and should not be blocked nor should it be on any blacklists. Clicking or unclicking "block popup windows" in FF doesn't appear to make any difference, but disabling ABP does, so it definitely is ABP that does the blocking. I don't want to disable ABP, so how can I make sure legit popup windows are allowed... And also, why has ABP's behavior changed in this respect? Thanx.
Steve_J5

Post by Steve_J5 »

Gingerbread Man wrote: Personally, I don't allow any pop-ups by default.
  1. I have dom.popup_allowed_events set to an empty value, which doesn't allow any pop-ups whatsoever (including links that try to open in a new tab through target="_blank" and file upload prompts).
  2. I have browser.link.open_newwindow set to 1, which makes links that try to open in a new window open in the current tab. Whether a link opens in a new tab or not should be my choice. I either middle-click or Ctrl+click the link for a new tab, or Shift+click for a new window.
  3. Trusted sites are added to the pop-up blocker exceptions under Options - Content - Exceptions.
  4. For the occasional sites that aren't whitelisted but try to open useful pop-ups, I click the pop-up blocking notification on the right edge of the address bar and open the pop-up manually.

Wow, that's brilliant :D dom.popup_allowed_events = empty + browser.link.open_newwindow set to 1 and its all good again!

Thank you so much and have a great day!

P/s, I forwarded this thread to the owner of ABP Pop_up Addons and hopefully he can do something!
Gingerbread Man

Steve_J5 wrote:Thank you so much and have a great day!
You're welcome :)
Tingen wrote:I'd like to be able to allow popup windows when required, but can't see anywhere in the ABP options where to do this.
There's no way to disable pop-up blocking. You can only prevent specific pop-ups from being blocked. You can whitelist a page, whitelist an entire site, create a whitelist filter for specific items, or disable problematic filters.
en/faq_basics#disable
en/filters#whitelist
Tingen wrote:Specifically I have a music player on my own web site (tingen.org) that used to open fine, but recently ABP has started blocking it
That's a filter problem. Your page runs afoul of the /popout.$popup filter. Can you rename the page popout.php to something else, e.g. music.php or whathaveyou?

If not, report the issue in the Filters forum.
forum/viewforum.php?f=2
Tingen

Post by Tingen »

There's no way to disable pop-up blocking. You can only prevent specific pop-ups from being blocked. You can whitelist a page, whitelist an entire site, create a whitelist filter for specific items, or disable problematic filters.
Tingen wrote:Specifically I have a music player on my own web site (tingen.org) that used to open fine, but recently ABP has started blocking it
That's a filter problem. Your page runs afoul of the /popout.$popup filter. Can you rename the page popout.php to something else, e.g. music.php or whathaveyou?
Thank you for your reply. For obvious reason I'd prefer if the issue can be solved without site visitors having to resort to negotiating whitelist filters and whatnot. They'll be long gone from my site by the time they get round to that.

I've passed on the possible filter problem to my web site developer and will report back to see whether that solves it. Oddly enough, in my mind at least, the problem was solved when I also installed the AdBlockPlus Popup Add-On. The music player popup now loads and plays normally. This suggests that the Popup is better capable of distinguishing between legit and ad popups, and for that reason is something that could be re-coded in ABP itself. But this is me guessing as I know nothing about coding. Any ideas? Thanx.
Gingerbread Man

Tingen wrote:For obvious reason I'd prefer if the issue can be solved without site visitors having to resort to negotiating whitelist filters and whatnot.
I never suggested that. You asked about disabling pop-up blocking in Adblock Plus.
Tingen wrote:Any ideas?
As I said, either rename the problematic file on your website (recommended), or ask the filter list maintainers to create an exception for your site.
en/getting_started#false-positives