Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
G_HZ

Re: Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by G_HZ »

Hello
I switched to version 2.51 because I block various things at startup. I do not not safe with version 2.6 ...
Please give the option to choose between an early start or a secure boot.

Re: Adblock starts late with FireFox 29, impacting initial page

Post by Guest »

Luxferre wrote:I have the same problem with Pale Moon 24.5.0 ,but not with Firfox 29.0.
I downgraded to ABP version 2.5.1 in Pale Moon which is my default browser.
If this is an intentional change than it is very wrong.
Sadly,after many years of using ABP I'll see what competition is offering.
I'm very disappointed.
Same issue with Cyberfox v28.0.1 my default browser but not with Ff v29. Indeed ABP v2.5.1 alleviated the problem so I'm satisfied at this point!
richwest

Post by richwest »

Just adding another voice to say that I also have this issue with ads appearing on the initial homepage, and also find it annoying. Either having an option to control this or just reverting this change and making it work as it used to would be appreciated.
Kroth63

Post by Kroth63 »

I'm attempting to install ABP 2.51. Do I need to remove version 2.6 first?

What does "starts late, impacting initial page" mean? I'm getting adds on every page of, for example, the Guardian site I pull up.
TimmyP

Post by TimmyP »

Had to register for this issue...

Using atom netbook as an HTPC which can play full hd (crystal hd chip) and I use it to stream video from various sites.

The netbook is a measly:

1.6ghz Atom N450 (has hyperthreading)
1gb ram (going to upgrade soon, everything else runs surprisingly well even xbmc)
Windows 8.1 (runs good with 1gb ram, faster than 7 was)

I have a link open directly to a site I stream from... but because of this change, ABP w/easylist loads AFTER the page displays the popups and ads. They are not blocked.

It works if I just use a small custom list with easylist removed because it is a much smaller list to load. I need easylist though, or a "lighter alternative."

This needs to be an option. Please!
ratchet

Post by ratchet »

Would someone please link v2.5.1! Every link I follow defaults to v2.6. Thank you!

Never mind, I found it!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Taipan wrote:Looks like support for the -offline parameter was removed from Firefox builds at some point.
I doubt it. It still works for me in Aurora (Firefox 31).
Checked again... FF28, Windows this computer... *does* seem to work.

For some reason it didn't seem to work before, and both then and now I don't see -offline option listed in options (firefox -h | more). Led me to the wrong conclusion I guess. Sorry about that folks, thanks Gingerbread Man for the followup.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Kroth63 wrote:What does "starts late, impacting initial page" mean? I'm getting adds on every page of, for example, the Guardian site I pull up.
Adblock Plus 2.5.1 would delay the startup of Firefox, but that ensured it was loaded before any web pages attempted to load ads.
Adblock Plus 2.6 lets Firefox load faster, at the cost of some ads or tracking beacons slipping through on pages that open when Firefox starts (typically your home page).

For details, see the blog posts.
development-builds/faster-firefox-startup
releases/adblock-plus-26-for-firefox-released

If you've reloaded the page in question after Firefox started and you're still seeing ads, that's a different issue.
en/getting_started#false-negatives
TimmyP wrote:the page displays the popups and ads. They are not blocked.
You can stop the pop-ups without Adblock Plus.
forum/viewtopic.php?p=98458#p98458
ratchet wrote:Would someone please link v2.5.1!
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... /versions/
User54421

Post by User54421 »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
Kroth63 wrote:What does "starts late, impacting initial page" mean? I'm getting adds on every page of, for example, the Guardian site I pull up.
Adblock Plus 2.5.1 would delay the startup of Firefox, but that ensured it was loaded before any web pages attempted to load ads.
Adblock Plus 2.6 lets Firefox load faster, at the cost of some ads or tracking beacons slipping through on pages that open when Firefox starts (typically your home page).
What is going on over at Adblock Plus? have "you" secretly sneaked in a new owner that don´t care about the original purpose of Adblock Plus???

I seriously cant believe someone over at abp even got the idea of the behavior in 2.6+ff29 . This change makes me scared, for real.

I have my links as shortcuts on the DESKTOP not inside the built-in bookmarks in FF. So I'm basically getting ads all the time!

This is something that needs to be fixed from you guys.not us users. Fine...Every developer of a "software" wants their product to run as fast as possible. But not on the cost of user security!
User54421

Post by User54421 »

To add to my previous post.

Its like if the firefighters would stop using water in their firetrucks just to be able to drive faster! *facepalm*

Post by Guest »

Any chance an option can be given so that the user can decide? Even a hidden one?

en/preferences

For me personally, I have never noticed a slow FF startup. But as soon as this change has been made it now takes longer for FF to start and then the delay for ABP to load. The end result, via the Firefox Health Report data, is that it ends up taking it about the same amount of time but is more annoying, to me, having ABP not function upon load and the ABP icon not being present and the flicker it causes when it does load.
Anonym

Post by Anonym »

Oddly enough I was also having this problem in the latest version of Adblock Edge.
If there ever was a good reason to have a fork version, this pretty much would come at the top of the list.

The argument by which the decision is justified (Firefox starts faster) is pretty much the reason why benchmarks have been ruining the computing world. There is a time where better numbers are meaningless if the functionality just isn't there (or is severely crippled).

Post by Guest »

Mit dem verzögerten Laden des ABP wurde genau das Gegenteil erreicht von dem was bezweckt war:
Durch das initiale Laden all der Ads in den wiederhergestellten Tabs dauert der Ladevorgang um ein Vielfaches länger wie früher.

Ärgerlich ist zudem, dass bei mir die meisten Ads nicht nur - wie behauptet - temporär erscheinen, sondern persistent: Was einen Reload der meisten wiederhergestellten Tabs nötig macht.

Für mich ist ABP vor allem auch ein Tool für Sicherheit und Privatsphäre. Beides ist durch das Kontaktieren all der Ad-URL's beim FF Start nun nicht mehr gewährleistet!

Am schlimmsten ist, daß noch nicht mal in about:config eine Boolean zu finden ist um dieses Verhalten von ABP abzustellen, z.B. delayedStartup: false. Musste wieder zu einer älteren ABP Version zurückgehen und habe mit der Ursachenforschung einen ganzen Sonntag verschwendet.
disturbed

Post by disturbed »

Gingerbread Man wrote:

---

I do not care at all about a faster start. I do very much care that adblock loads and functions. Please please please revert this change in 2.6 or make it configurable! I think it's absolutely insane that you consider it not a bug as it is an intentional change. This very much *is* a bug as it impacts the reason for ABP to even exist. It is failing to block ads which is its reason to be! ABP is a very important extension to me and I have donated money as I hope it remains successful and well supported. IMO this is a bad design decision and therefore a bug. I registered to add my voice to the complaints. This is a bug!

In the meantime I've re-installed 2.5.1 and disabled auto-update. I'd like to ask if there are any alternatives to ABP which function as well in case the the developer decides not to revert this change? What other alternatives are there?
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Mon May 05, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags
Another developer

Post by Another developer »

What's a bug? I tell you. A bug is if a program does not work as advertised, no matter if it's by accident or intentional.

Second, how often do you (re-) start your browser? I don't know, but I need to do this once a week or every two weeks. Usually I get a cup coffe in between and everything is reloaded. But to see that every page is full of ads makes my angry. Yes, angry!

Mr. Palant, what does your second manager Mr. Faida think about this? This annoying change is a blue-print for another adblock fork, potentially again reducing your important user counts....
I really consider to establish a new fork, but first I'll see if you make the changes configurable.