Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Gort

Re: Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by Gort »

I normally start my browser once a day. I personally don't really care too much about the start-up speed, but I do care very much that adverts are blocked. Even if the advert is only up for a few seconds, it's still a failure of function. I don't mind the idea that version 2.6's current behaviour is default (I understand that other people complained about start-up speed, which is a valid complaint that needs addressing), but at least provide an option to revert back to its previous way of blocking adverts before the pages load for those who aren't too bothered about start-up speed but want consistent ad-blocking behaviour.

Other than that, thanks for the fish. ;)
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

it dont delay ff staring now and it is starting up faster, but it also freeze firefox when adblock first loads till the icon is visable.

I think i rahter have FF start up slower just so i dont have to see adblock plus freeze the browser up till it loads
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

First of all, kindly stop arguing about the semantics of bug reporting. When you file a bug report to undo intentional changes, those reports quickly get marked WONTFIX. This isn't a locked thread in Bug Reports, it's a sticky in the Firefox forum. So please stop acting like I implied this isn't a problem.

Secondly, I dislike this change every bit as much as you do, and I question whether the benefit was worth the trade off: the test results in the bug report say about 1170 milliseconds were shaved off startup time. I wouldn't mind waiting one more second for Firefox to start.
I hope it's crystal clear to you that only Wladimir Palant (or possibly another developer) can make decisions related to the development of Adblock Plus.
Anonym wrote:Oddly enough I was also having this problem in the latest version of Adblock Edge.
It looks like the feature was implemented in Adblock Edge 2.1.1.
Another developer wrote:Second, how often do you (re-) start your browser?
Many times per day, however it's the "cold start" — after first starting Windows — that's slowest; after that, Firefox's starts up noticeably faster.
berzerk

Post by berzerk »

The fact is, ever since Wladimir went on board of a bunch of advertisers, nothing good has been happening to ABP, quite the contrary.
What good does it do you have an adblocker that doesn't work on the first page, cookies for all kind of spam sites are being created & stored. Do you call this a positive change ?
Unhappy with ABP 2.6

Post by Unhappy with ABP 2.6 »

User54421 wrote:To add to my previous post.

Its like if the firefighters would stop using water in their firetrucks just to be able to drive faster! *facepalm*
Exactly!

Please make this OPTIONAL.
Oded

Post by Oded »

I also felt it's a bug, that's why I've created this thread in the first place. I wasn't sure if it's an Adblock issue or FireFox one. Now I understand it's Adblock's, and I certainly see this as a bug.

Thanks for all the supporting posts.
hajj_3

Post by hajj_3 »

This is utterly stupid! The whole purpose of adblock plus is to block ads now it doesn't. When i launch firefox it restore my previous session which has about 40 tabs now i have about 15-20 tabs that have ads visible so i have to refresh each page to get rid of them. I spend 20 seconds to get rid of ads yet i save just 1 second on a load time, this is crazy. This "feature" should be disabled by default as 99% of users don't want to see ads and are happy to wait 1 second.
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

I agree this isn't suitable behaviour and hope the next version will either fix the issue or provide an option for people like us.

It's especially bad for guys like hajj_3, but you guys have a solution to make it less awful on you: Make Firefox only load the selected tab on startup, not the background ones. (I thought this was the default config though)

To enable: Options > Tabs > Check the 4th checkbox (Don't load tabs that aren't selected)
hajj_3

Post by hajj_3 »

you are correct supertramp, firefox disabled auto loading of tabs a few versions ago but it is incredibly annoying clicking on a tab and waiting 2 seconds for it to loads so i enable the background loading of tabs.
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Well then in that case you have a strong argument pushing for a fix there :)

Considering the feedback from this thread I'd say we have fair chances for something to happen in the next version.
locutusx

Post by locutusx »

I would also like to add my voice to the chorus. I would prefer Firefox startup to be delayed by 1 or 2 seconds if it means my initial "start page" gets correctly filtered by ABP.
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Also, all pinned tabs auto-load on startup no matter your "Options > Tabs" config.

This problem is even more awful than I thought, it really should be dealt with ASAP. I will have to downgrade if it takes the usual length of time between two ABP updates to get this sorted :/
Guest112

Post by Guest112 »

Supertramp wrote:Also, all pinned tabs auto-load on startup no matter your "Options > Tabs" config.

This problem is even more awful than I thought, it really should be dealt with ASAP. I will have to downgrade if it takes the usual length of time between two ABP updates to get this sorted :/
How big of a timeframe are we talking about?
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Between 1 and 3 months as you can check here.

I'm not saying it's a bad update rate, just way too much for me not to downgrade for this particular issue. I'd appreciate that the developers give us a timeframe or something similar once they're decided on whether they're going to do something and what.
Oded

Post by Oded »

The question is does the developer acknowledge that this is a bug which is planned to be fixed?
From what I understand, this has been known to the developer, and was consider a minor side-effect :(