Element Hiding Helper-entry gets ignored

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey

Element Hiding Helper-entry gets ignored

Post by Guest »

Noticed on mangastream.com that an EHH-entry like
mangastream.com##.message-ld.pull-right
was not shown in the blockable items list as blocked (when it did before) and therefore a warning was shown on the site.

So I disabled all filter subscriptions to make sure there isn't a whitelist-entry somewhere and after reloading the page it picked the EHH-entry up and blocked it correctly.
After that I re-enabled every filter one by one and refreshed the page after each, but to my surprise the EHH-entry was still doing its work correctly now even with all filters active.

Restarting the browser confirmed my suspicion: With every filter list enabled, the EHH-entry didn't get recognized/blocked again for some reason.
Disabling the first few filters and reloading the page did the trick and it worked again without even a browser restart required.

Firefox 30B2
ABP 2.6.0.3807
EHH 1.3.0.463

Filters active:

Re: Element Hiding Helper-entry gets ignored

Post by Guest »

After messing around with it a bit more, the culprit seems to be ROList.
Disabling other subscriptions doesn't help like I thought it would, only when ROList is disabled the EHH-entry starts working again (it even updates the site in the background FF-window with the element now filtered).

Which is odd, there are only a few whitelist-entries in that list and none of them seem to fit for the EHH-entry - plus it doesn't show up as whitelisted in the blockable items so it might be a glitch/bug of some sort?
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

1. Open the web page in question.
  2. Click the Adblock Plus icon and choose Open Blockable Items.
  3. Click the little icon on the right side of the column headers (Filter, Type, State, etc.) and make sure "Filter source" is checked.
  4. Press Ctrl+Shift+R to reload the page bypassing the cache.
  5. Can you see a relevant whitelist filter listed?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply Gingerbread Man, I already deleted ROList earlier and after re-adding it just now the website in question doesn't exhibit the same behavior when ROList sits at the bottom of the filter subscriptions-list.
As soon as I moved ROList back up to the place it was before I deleted it, the EHH-rules get ignored again - even when ROList was the only active filter and no item was blocked/whitelisted on the site at all.

Screenshot showing the glitch with only ROList on 4th place enabled and no items blocked/whitelisted after a browser restart (with Google as start page loaded first, so the ABP start-up delay can't be the cause):
http://abload.de/img/ehhglitchedmzcq0.jpg

After disabling ROList the website in the background changes since the 2 EHH-rules apply correctly:
http://abload.de/img/ehhworkingrolistdisabr3ios.jpg
I can re-enable ROList at this point and the EHH-rules will still apply until a browser restart.

After browser restart with ROList active but put down to last place of the filter subscriptions-list:
http://abload.de/img/ehhworkingrolistactivu4iyp.jpg
Gingerbread Man

I'm having some trouble understanding this. Are these the steps to reproduce the issue?
  1. Add the custom filter mangastream.com##.message-ld.pull-right
  2. Subscribe to ROList.
  3. Go to http://mangastream.com
  4. The Blockable Items Pane doesn't show either the aforementioned custom filter being applied, nor a whitelist filter that would explain why.

Post by Guest »

Pretty much, although you might need more than only the ROList-subscription for it to glitch.
When I put ROList in last place of the subscriptions it picks up the EHH-rules correctly for some reason, so it might be the same when only ROList alone is subscribed.

As soon as I put it back to 4th place in between the others, restart my browser and go to the site the EHH-rules don't apply and nothing is blocked.
Then it's 2 scenarios:
a)I untick ROList, the website immediately updates in the background and the EHH-rules get applied and show up in the blocked list.
b)I put ROList from 4th to last place at the bottom I have to restart the browser to get the EHH-rules working again, a simple Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+F5 doesn't help.
Gingerbread Man

Filled https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/454

In a nutshell, you have to uncheck (disable) all your subscriptions (except EasyList) one by one, from top to bottom. Then re-check (enable) all of them, again from top to bottom. If that doesn't work for you, or there's other information you want to provide, add it to the above bug report.