Adblock Plus starts late, impacting initial page

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Dogo

Re: Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by Dogo »

does this thread being unpinned mean it has been acklowledged ?

can we expect any change in the stated dev plan ? (which is basically to only speed up adblock plus startup)
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Dogo wrote:does this thread being unpinned mean it has been acklowledged ?
Like I said, I made the thread a temporary sticky. It was unsticked automatically.
Dogo wrote:can we expect any change in the stated dev plan ? (which is basically to only speed up adblock plus startup)
No.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Dogo wrote:does this thread being unpinned mean it has been acklowledged ?

can we expect any change in the stated dev plan ? (which is basically to only speed up adblock plus startup)
see
https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/529#comment:1

"we are planning to add a setting to ABP to chose whether to delay the startup of Firefox in favour of ABP already running or to start Firefox as quickly as possible with maybe not yet loaded ABP until we managed to improve the speed by a high enough degree."
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Thanks for the news mapx, that's great ! I'm still concerned about the "until we managed to improve the speed by a high enough degree" bit, because it hints that the option is only temporary and sadly I suspect speed will never be fast enough to prevent network requests to be sent. But we'll see when that time comes I guess, for now it's pretty good news, I was actually starting to dig for good alternatives to ABP :shock: (and I'm a satisfied user since Firefox 2.0...)

The only thing surprising is that none of the developers made us aware of this anywhere. It's always good to show that you listen to your community :)
mapx

Post by mapx »

and the official ticket:

https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/549
allow users to enforce ABP being loaded completely at Firefox startup, even if delaying it

As the start of ABP at Firefox startup is not fast enough to not significantly delay the whole Firefox opening, we decided to let Firefox start even if ABP is not fully loaded yet. Apparently, this leads to pages with ads and tracking in some cases like #418. Until we were able to speed things up sufficiently, we now want to allow the users to choose whether ABP should definitively start with Firefox, even if this delays the whole startup.

What to change

Allow users to enforce ABP being loaded completely at Firefox startup, even if delaying it
hajj_3

Post by hajj_3 »

mapx wrote:"we are planning to add a setting to ABP to chose whether to delay the startup of Firefox in favour of ABP already running or to start Firefox as quickly as possible with maybe not yet loaded ABP until we managed to improve the speed by a high enough degree."
Please don't make this upcoming change temporarily, you aren't going to be able to speed it up enough, just let us have the option to change the setting indefinitely instead. The developers just a few weeks ago said that the current slow speed was fast enough for most and weren't going to change it, i can see you doing that again with a minor speed improvement. As long as it is disabled by default it harms no-one including that setting to load adblock first. Choice is good, dictatorships are bad.
Supertramp

Re: [549] Adblock Plus 2.6 starts late, impacting initial page

Post by Supertramp »

extensions.adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance
Hahaha, love the name, sounds like this feature is implemented kinda against the developers best wishes xD
Thanks for accepting compromise ;)

Anyway, I would guess that this feature can stay a long time only if its existence doesn't impair future development plans, i.e. if they don't have to maintain two different ABP's in one codebase just so the feature can exist. We'll see how it goes!
mapx

Post by mapx »

Supertramp wrote:I would guess that this feature can stay a long time only if its existence doesn't impair future development plans, i.e. if they don't have to maintain two different ABP's in one codebase just so the feature can exist.
the patch was already developed (is under review, probably will land soon in the next dev build), the impact on the code is minor, so ...I guess won't be temporarily
see here:
http://codereview.adblockplus.org/6744383034490880/
Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

And according to that code we should still benefit from future speed improvements and everything. Sounds like the best of both worlds :)

Just need to wait for release build and then for the mozilla.org to update.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You can install the dev build when the patch will land in the dev repository
devbuilds/adblockplus/00latest.xpi

https://downloads.adblockplus.org/devbu ... elog.xhtml
disturbed

Post by disturbed »

Hurray it's getting fixed! This is HUGE! I'm looking forward to the new build! Yes indeed, PLEASE DO kill my startup performance time so that ABP can load completely! I'm happy now. Let's have a party! Thanks!
tsunami2311

Post by tsunami2311 »

Hot damn i cant wait, I rather have FF start slower and have ABP ready to go, then have FF start faster just to have FF freeze whiling loading ABP, seeing the wait time it the same reguardless before FF is useable
Oded

Post by Oded »

Thanks for listening (I'm the one who opened this thread...).

Once released, I can reinstall the latest ABP. For now, I've upgraded to ABP 2.5.1 (yes, I upgraded :)) which doesn't have this limitation.

Thanks
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mapx wrote:the patch was already developed (is under review, probably will land soon in the next dev build), the impact on the code is minor, so ...I guess won't be temporarily
see here:
http://codereview.adblockplus.org/6744383034490880/
Lets see what Patch Set 2 looks like ;)
mapx

Post by mapx »

dev build released
#3822: 2014-05-23 14:25 +0200 Wladimir Palant
Issue 549 - Allow users to enforce ABP being loaded completely at Firefox startup, even if delaying it

go to about:config
find
adblockplus.please_kill_startup_performance
set it to true