Quicktime 7.1.6 and ADP crashes

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Erroneus

Quicktime 7.1.6 and ADP crashes

Post by Erroneus »

There seems to be a problem with the latest Quicktime 7.1.6 and the latest ADP 0.7.5.1.

The entire browser crashes on pages with Quicktime videos and this goes away if I disable ADP or run Quicktime 7.1.5

Running Vista btw.
Alan

Re: Quicktime 7.1.6 and ADP crashes

Post by Alan »

Hi, Erroneus. I updated to Quicktime 7.1.6 a couple of weeks ago. According to my Talkback records I did have a Fx crash at about that time, but I don't know if it was after the Quicktime update. I don't recall if there was a Quicktime video running at the time. I've had no Fx crashes since then. I've been running Fx 2.0.0.3 until I updated to the latest Fx 2.0.0.4 release candidate yesterday.

Is the Talkback extension enabled in your configuration? Do you have Talkback Incident IDs for any of those crashes? Talkback Incident reports could help the Adblock Plus or Fx developers track down the reason for your crashes.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
Adblock Plus 0.7.5.1
Erroneus

Post by Erroneus »

Alan

Post by Alan »

Does it happen while you are logging out of AOL email?
Firefox crashes on signing out of AOL mailbox (aol.com)
Erroneus

Post by Erroneus »

Nope nothing to do with AOL.
mikko

Post by mikko »

yap i got this problem to :/

crashes sometimes on apple web site when i try to watch movie trailers
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Yep, quite definitely a plugin crash, not much that I can do about it. I am afraid, Apple is the right place to report this :-(
Erroneus

Post by Erroneus »

But it doesn't crash as often, when ADP is disabled?

Wouldn't be suprised if this is a QT problem though, QT can suck major sometimes

:D
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Firefox handles plugins in a slightly different way if Adblock Plus (or another content policy extension like NoScript) is present. For some plugins this is enough to produce weird behavior.
willh

Same problem here

Post by willh »

I have exactly the same problem.

Using Vista Premium and downloaded Firefox. Once the latest QT was installed Firefox crashed when it tried to play QT files.

I have added the following extensions - Adblock Plus, NoScript, Dictionary, Download Manager - and uninstalled QT completely from the system (all plugins and reg files too). Replaced QT with QT Alternative. Same problems. Uninstall and completely removed FF from the system. Still crashes every single time it comes across and embedded QT file.

If I spot a QT file on a page and instantly stop it loaded and close the page, then FF will still crash a couple of page loads later.

I'm tempted to get rid of FF (and use Opera) until this problem is fixed because it ruins the browsing experience.
willh

Post by willh »

In fact FF 2.0.0.3 just crashed on me now despite me not even coming across a QT file this browsing session. This is extremely annoying.
philw

Post by philw »

Same problem here. Disable Adblock Plus, see lots of garbage adds, but it doesn't crash on QT pages any more.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Is QuickTime newest, there was this Security Update for 7.1.6:
QT Security Update for Windows and for Mac.
Angry_Badger

Post by Angry_Badger »

Yup same problem here. ABP crashes with quicktime videos, disable it and theres not a problem