Ads on Yahoo not being blocked

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
peter55

Ads on Yahoo not being blocked

Post by peter55 »

Hello,

Recently having some trouble when I go to yahoo.com. I read through the news headlines and every few headlines there is an ad there. If I right click on it I don't see an option to block those ads. Can anyone help me figure out why they aren't being blocked and what I can do. It's a bit annoying to be reading a news headline and then realize it's a advertisement.

Problem is right at www.yahoo.com

I am on firefox 20.0.1 and Adblock Plus 2.2.3. I am subscribed to fanboy's adblock list and I did manually update the filters just today (and then I restarted firefox) if that matters at all.

Thank you,
Peter
mapx

Re: Ads on Yahoo not being blocked

Post by mapx »

1. better use easylist (fanboy adblock list is merging with easylist)
2. did you install Element Hiding Helper per Adblock Plus ? it will help you to select zones on the page and create your hiding rules
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... idehelper/
peter55

Post by peter55 »

Thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and switched over to the easylist filter instead of fanboy. After restarting the browser, I am still seeing the ads on yahoo.com

I looked at that addon you suggested. Will that just block specific zones with a webpage? Or does it actually scan for actual ads just like the normal Adblock plus? The ads I see look just like another news headline, but they end up being a sponsored ad. Just curious if this addon will block those types of ads as well? Or do I need to contact the easylist filter people?

thanks,
Peter
peter55

Post by peter55 »

Thank you so much! Looking at yahoo.com now it looks like the ads (sponsored stories) that were inserted into the news articles are now gone. You rock!
busterw

Post by busterw »

Fanboy, I'm having the same problem as the op. Can you tell me how to add the two files you provided links to to my ADP filters?

Thanks!
mapx

Post by mapx »

busterw wrote:Fanboy, I'm having the same problem as the op. Can you tell me how to add the two files you provided links to to my ADP filters?

Thanks!
it's a thread from 2013.
Explain your issue, eventually upload some screenshot (use imgur.com for uploading, then post the link)
busterw

Post by busterw »

I realize how old the thread is but as I said, I'm having the same issue as the original poster.

"Recently having some trouble when I go to yahoo.com. I read through the news headlines and every few headlines there is an ad there."

Fanboy created two files as noted below and the original poster said that did the trick. I'm simply asking how to use those files myself as I'm new to ADP and don't understand how to implement them.
mapx

Post by mapx »

He simply added filters to easylist. You have to do nothing with those files.
As I said, upload a screenshot and provide the exact link where you are seeing the ads.
mapx

Post by mapx »

or submit an issue report: en/getting_started#problems
Then post here the report's link
(disable all other addons when you submit the report)
amccombs

Post by amccombs »

I attempted to add those however Adblock Plus Options said "Failed, not a valid filters list".
I am using Chrome.
mapx

Post by mapx »

amccombs wrote:
I attempted to add those however Adblock Plus Options said "Failed, not a valid filters list".
I am using Chrome.
no, those links only are showing the filters fanboy (2 years ago ! ) added to easylist.