AutoUpdate

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome

AutoUpdate

Postby PaulWalker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:00 pm

please provide an option for disabling automatic updates /or/ stop that stupid page from popping up everytime it does. thanks
PaulWalker
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby jasoncollege24 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I disagree with this request. Automatic updates are important as they can fix patches. If you're not set to receive them automatically, then you may be leaving yourself open to exploits, glitches, or other issues that these updates fix. The page that appears also gives the user important information about the new updates.
jasoncollege24
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby CK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Are we talking about the "First Run" page that popped up after the update today?

If so, it most certainly does not provide any useful information about anything. It just mysteriously shows up as a new tab in Chrome and causes people to suspect that something has infected their computer. Unexpected pages and popups are the first sign that something is wrong, the people at Adblock should know this.

Also, it seems that there are settings on the First Run page that are not available on the options page when you actually go to the extensions page to manage Adblock. This looks very suspicious. How do I change these settings in the future? Are they really Adblock settings or is this First Run page actually something else that is luring me into providing access to to unknown parties?

This is really disconnected and alarming Adblock.
CK
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 pm

jasoncollege24 wrote:I disagree with this request. Automatic updates are important as they can fix patches. If you're not set to receive them automatically, then you may be leaving yourself open to exploits, glitches, or other issues that these updates fix. The page that appears also gives the user important information about the new updates.


well that's a stupid opinion, what do you think there is to exploit in the adblock software. It's not an anti-virus, and everyone should be able to choose on their own whether they want it automatically or manually

and CK. this is what i'm referring too. (http://imgur.com/a/EyJVU)

every 2nd day it hounds me, most of the time when i have a stream open
Guest
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby fadblockgus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 am

If there was an option to disable auto-updates, how would they be able to re-enabled 'non-intrusive' advertising every day?

Is there a fork of adblock for Chrome that doesn't have this stupid 'non-intrusive' advertising forced down your throat? I know there is one for FireFox and it is far superior because it doesn't serve ABP's google masters.
fadblockgus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby CK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 am

Guest wrote:and CK. this is what i'm referring too. (http://imgur.com/a/EyJVU)

every 2nd day it hounds me, most of the time when i have a stream open


That's the one. Today is the first time I've ever seen it... I've been using ABP ever since it came out.

It just showed up as a tab that I didn't open. At first, I assumed it was one of those "Hey there, I'm a safe application that you can trust, you should click on me" kinds of things, you know, the ones that you should NEVER click on? Especially when you consider that the options for ABP don't have any setting like the ones shown on this "first run" page.
CK
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby Anomymous » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 am

fadblockgus wrote:If there was an option to disable auto-updates, how would they be able to re-enabled 'non-intrusive' advertising every day?

Is there a fork of adblock for Chrome that doesn't have this stupid 'non-intrusive' advertising forced down your throat? I know there is one for FireFox and it is far superior because it doesn't serve ABP's google masters.


I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI
Anomymous
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby fadblockgus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 am

Anomymous wrote:I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI


Thanks, I'll give it a shot right now.
fadblockgus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 am

fadblockgus wrote:
Anomymous wrote:I rolled my own ABP that removes "acceptable ads" and the sneaky "x-adblock-key" header check that could whitelist sites that have paid with no option to disable it. It also redirects blocked images and iframes to blank ones instead of breaking them (no page jitter). And it doesn't auto-update, obviously.

https://mega.co.nz/#!EkMmAAyS!FXXel0Yo0 ... pf52ZwP9BI


Thanks, I'll give it a shot right now.


please let us know how it goes.
Guest
 

Re: AutoUpdate

Postby fadblockgus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 am

It works better than the real thing!
fadblockgus
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am


Return to Adblock Plus for Chrome support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests