Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.

Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Marathonracer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:45 am

Adblock Plus is a fantastic program that generally does a great job. But ABP is the ONLY add-on in Firefox that causes about a 50% increase in site load time on warm repeated restarts of Firefox, going from about or 2.33 to 3.5sec. just opening to the Google Home page. Other sites take a little longer, but the increased time delay is also about 40% increase in loading time, depending on the site. This happens with only one tab open ( it's set to load tabs on demand) and regardless of the Firefox version, which is currently up to date version 23.

I've systematically tested every single extension and Ablock Plus is the only one that's responsible for that much delay. Even Norton Internet Security, which does far more work, including the Toolbar and Firewall, doesn't cause that much delay, in testing. Other extensions have only a minimal effect. Clean re installs of Firefox show no improvement, because this is not caused by Firefox. I've been bothered by this with earlier versions of Adblock Plus, but it actually got a little worse after the update in June. I'm pretty sure of that because I was doing clean installs of Firefox after wiping out my profile to try to fix it, if it was made worse by a problem with Firefox, but that made no difference and everything else is running normally fast, as are the other browsers. Firefox's loading times are normal also, opening to any site, if Adblock Plus is disabled and there are no other problems with Firefox.

Note: This slowdown caused by Adblock Plus only occurs on restarts of Firefox, but it's consistent. Once it's already open, loading a new site doesn't seem to be slowed down by Adblock Plus. It seems strange, unless the filters are already initialized, but it must be a positive clue to the problem, because there's no slowdown at all if Firefox is already open and you're going to a different site.

Testing with some of the forks of Adblock Plus, like Adblock Edge, showed similar delays.

Testing the filter list by unchecking Easy List showed a negligible difference, so it's the program, not the Easy List that's causing the delay.

I know Adblock has a lot of work to do, and it's a great program, but it really shouldn't be slowing down the browser nearly that much and in testing, the Adblock software for Chrome 28 doesn't slow it down at all, although I don't use Chrome - I just tested it for comparison.
.
Steps to Reproduce.
Note: Make sure Firefox is set in Options to "Remember my windows and tabs from last time", so it will automatically reopen to the same site your testing after you close Firefox.
1. Start Windows normally with Adblock Plus enabled. Launch Firefox. Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus - from about 4 secs to 4.5 secs. -Only 1/2 sec delay.
2. Close Firefox and then reopen it to Google Home Page after several seconds. That's when you see the delay.
3. Repeat Step 2. while reopening repeatedly to different sites, such as the Huffington Post, or YouTube or The New York Times.
4. Disable Adblock Plus and repeat and note the time reduction in site loading.
5.Re-enable ABP and repeat steps 1-3 to confirm the slowdown, by seeing the increase in load times.

I have an HP notebook with an I7 processor with 8 Gigs of Ram and a Hybrid drive and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English language. All drivers, add-ons and software and the Envidia Graphics Card and Adobe Flash are updated as well on the notebook, and so are Windows updates, as well as Adblock Plus.

Extensions are:Adblock Plus 2.3.2 with EasyList English filter
Make Link
Norton Toolbar
Norton Vulnerability Protection
Personas Plus
Preloader (for Firefox) - only runs on cold startup. Note: I tested the cold startup times manually, without the Preloader. Cold starts with the Preloader enabled don't seem to be significantly effected, which is consistent with ABP not slowing down the cold start times without the Preloader.
RSS icon for Awesome bar.
Tab Mix Plus
UnMHT
Wiktionary and Google Translate

Changing from allowing some adds to blocking all adds doesn't make any difference. The slowdown got so annoying that I uninstalled Adlblock Plus completely. But, although the load time were much faster, the time wasted watching those dumb adds wasn't worth it, so I reinstalled it, of course. It's a great extension and I love it and I know it has a lot of work to do to block the adds after checking the filter list, but it shouldn't be causing that much of a slowdown. This does NOT happen with the Adlock extension for Chrome - there is NO significant difference in site load times whether Adlock is enabled or disabled in Chrome. It also doesn't happen with Adblock Plus for Chrome - no delays at all.

Disabling or uninstalling other add-ons, plugins, etc. is not relevant because my testing has shown they are not the problem and make very little significant difference. I have them running for good reason - that's what Firefox is known for. One single add-on shouldn't cause that much of a slowdown by itself, and that's the problem.

UPDATE 12/20/2013: Testing with the updated version 2.4 of Adblock Plus shows no improvement - exactly the same delays, with the current Firefox 26. Testing the Easy List by unchecking the box still shows negligible effect - it's the program that's the problem, not the filter list.
Last edited by Marathonracer on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Marathonracer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby MonztA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Marathonracer wrote:Steps to Reproduce.
1. Start Windows normally with Adblock Plus enabled. Launch Firefox. Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus - from about 4 secs to 4.5 secs.
2. Close Firefox and then reopen it to Google Home Page after several seconds.
3. Repeat this while reopening to different sites, such as the Huffington Post, or YouTube or The New York Times.
4. Disable Adblock Plus and repeat and note the time reduction in site loading
5.Reenable ABP and repeat steps 1-3 to confirm the slowdown.

There is no noticeable delay for me on Firefox 23, ABP 2.3.2 and EasyList Germany+EasyList.
MonztA
ABP IT Officer
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Germany

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Marathonracer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:15 pm

MonztA wrote:
Marathonracer wrote:Steps to Reproduce.
1. Start Windows normally with Adblock Plus enabled. Launch Firefox. Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus - from about 4 secs to 4.5 secs.
2. Close Firefox and then reopen it to Google Home Page after several seconds.
3. Repeat this while reopening to different sites, such as the Huffington Post, or YouTube or The New York Times.
4. Disable Adblock Plus and repeat and note the time reduction in site loading
5.Reenable ABP and repeat steps 1-3 to confirm the slowdown.

There is no noticeable delay for me on Firefox 23, ABP 2.3.2 and EasyList Germany+EasyList.[/quo

You may not be testing properly because Adblock Plus was in fact listed by Mozilla as the add on which slowed Firefox the MOST in the top ten list of Firefox add-on slowdowns in the past, when they posted that list. The thread in my forum reply on the same issue was created by Axaion - "Adblock plus stalls and slows down Firefox on loading sites" because it's clearly a known issue.
ABP is the only add- on that does that and this had been going on for as long as I've used it and, as I said , it's gotten very noticeably worse in the last few months. You also don't say what your computer specks are and that can make a big difference in whether an application is causing a "noticeable" slowdown. With a slow computer, or internet connection speed you might not notice the difference if the site loading times are long to begin with. You might not notice it with a very fast cable connection speed - computer specks and internet connection speeds can make a difference in whether a slowdown like this is noticeable or not, assuming you're testing accurately.

This started with it being very noticeable to begin with, and definitely got worse. That's why I started trouble shooting Firefox and finally did a clean install after wiping out my profile and there was absolutely no difference and I already did that with Firefox 21. More testing proved it was ABP alone that had caused the increased slowdown in the last few months. This has nothing to do with the version of Firefox, either, because it's been going on with several previous versions as well. There's absolutely no difference at all with different recent versions of Firefox - the slowdown is real and it's ONLY caused by ABP.

Try testing repeatedly with exactly the same sites, especially the Google home page and time it accurately - saying it's not "noticeable" is very subjective and not a scientific way to test anything. The load times will vary a little normally, so you have to get averages for them with and without ABP enabled and you have to do that many times to show it consistently - otherwise you're just seeing normal random load time variations.

I have a very fast computer - although not a very fast connection speed - so I can see these differences easily and there's no question that ABP alone causes that much slowdown, very consistently and timed accurately. I also said that Adblock for Chrome doesn't cause any significant delay but Chrome works with multiple processes, while Firefox is a single process browser, so I don't know if that's the difference or whether it's Adblock itself that works better, but it's not available for Firefox, so I can't test it.

I've tested other competing apps for Firefox, with only marginally insignificant differences, so they're not worth switching to, and ABP is still the best, but this has to be fixed. You may or may not be seeing it in Germany, depending on how accurately you're testing, but I'm seeing it in the United States and others are complaining about this as well. Apps are supposed to help the browsing experience, not hurt it and that's why I got so annoyed with the slowdown that I uninstalled ABP and stopped using it. The site load times were predictably much faster, but with the adds delaying normal viewing, it wasn't worth it - that's the only reason I reinstalled it - and, of course, the site load time slowdown was immediately back and is very consistent. Again, it's ONLY on the warm restarts of Firefox that ABP causes the slowdown, but not with site loading with Firefox already open, testing with the same sites. That's definitely a major clue to the problem right there, but that's for Wladimir to figure out.
Last edited by Marathonracer on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marathonracer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby MonztA » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Marathonracer wrote:Frankly I don't think you're testing properly because Adblock Plus was in fact listed by Mozilla as the add on which slowed Firefox the MOST in the top ten list of Firefox add-on slowdowns in the past, when they posted that list.

That's not entirely correct. This list you are referring to only indicated how much extensions slow down the start of Firefox not the actual browsing performance.
Marathonracer wrote:This thread was created because it's a known issue.

I have only read some topics where users are complaining about browsing performance on slow computers which is not unexpected.
Marathonracer wrote:ABP is the only add- on that does that and...

You tested all extensions? :mrgreen:
Marathonracer wrote:You also don't say what your computer specks are and that can make a big difference in whether an application is causing a "noticeable" slowdown. With a slow computer, or internet connection speed you might not notice the difference if the site loading times are long to begin with.

Intel i5-2500K 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
Marathonracer wrote:Try testing repeatedly with exactly the same sites, especially the Google home page and time it carefully - saying it's not "noticeable" is very subjective. The load times will vary a little normally, so you have to get averages for them with and without ABP enabled and you have to do that many times to show it consistently - otherwise you're just seeing normal random load time variations.

Google with ABP: ~1 s
Google without ABP: ~1 s

HP with ABP: ~3 s
HP without ABP: ~4 s

YT with ABP: ~1 s
YT without ABP: ~1 s

My connection speed is quite fast.
MonztA
ABP IT Officer
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Germany

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Marathonracer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:08 pm

MonztA wrote:
Marathonracer wrote:Frankly I don't think you're testing properly because Adblock Plus was in fact listed by Mozilla as the add on which slowed Firefox the MOST in the top ten list of Firefox add-on slowdowns in the past, when they posted that list.

That's not entirely correct. This list you are referring to only indicated how much extensions slow down the start of Firefox not the actual browsing performance.
Marathonracer wrote:This thread was created because it's a known issue.

I have only read some topics where users are complaining about browsing performance on slow computers which is not unexpected.
Marathonracer wrote:ABP is the only add- on that does that and...

You tested all extensions? :mrgreen:
Marathonracer wrote:You also don't say what your computer specks are and that can make a big difference in whether an application is causing a "noticeable" slowdown. With a slow computer, or internet connection speed you might not notice the difference if the site loading times are long to begin with.

Intel i5-2500K 3.3 GHz
8 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
Marathonracer wrote:Try testing repeatedly with exactly the same sites, especially the Google home page and time it carefully - saying it's not "noticeable" is very subjective. The load times will vary a little normally, so you have to get averages for them with and without ABP enabled and you have to do that many times to show it consistently - otherwise you're just seeing normal random load time variations.

Google with ABP: ~1 s
Google without ABP: ~1 s

HP with ABP: ~3 s
HP without ABP: ~4 s

YT with ABP: ~1 s
YT without ABP: ~1 s

My connection speed is quite fast.


Read my edited reply to you where I added that if you have a very fast connection speed you might not see any noticeable difference and, sure enough, you now tell me your speed is "quite fast" and so are your site load times! With 1sec load times, you might not see a significant difference, but that's not a typical user situation, so you can't make a comparison like that, especially with an SSD. I assume you're referring to warm restarts of Firefox only, of course, because I said that site load time with Firefox already open are NOT slowed at all by ABP. Google 1sec. without ABP, Google 1sec with ABP, but only with Firefox already open. YT is 1-2secs without ABP and the same with ABP but, again, only with Firefox open.

I also had tested for this in with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking and it happens there the same way, proving there's no other software conflict - it's the bug in ABP, because disabling it shows the same major speed improvement.

You asked me if I "tested all extensions?" Try reading what I said to you. I specifically said that "I tested every single extension", systematically and isolated ABP as the ONLY extension that's responsible for this slowdown. It should have been understood that my numbers were not based on all the extensions together - I'm trained in how to do research - but only the delay caused by ABP. In fact I said that the other extensions showed relatively insignificant differences.

You also said that the Mozilla list I referred to of the add-ons that slow Firefox the most only had to do with Firefox starts, "not the browsing performance". What do you think I've been talking about ? Warm starts of Firefox are "starts",not just "browser performance", which is a meaningless term which defines nothing. I don't remember anything where that list referred only to cold starts of Firefox - it speaks for itself. That list was about slowing the start of Firefox, which is exactly what this is about, although I'm reporting this only as a bug with warm restarts of Firefox, after the initial start - and it slows it more than any other add-on, which is exactly what my testing proved, and much more so in the last few months. Something changed in one of the updates. You refer to "browser performance" as if it's something totally unrelated to that list of add-ons that slow Firefox starts. Both are Firefox startups. not simply "browser performance". Oddly, however, as I said, ABP only effects the initial cold start up of Firefox by .5 secs - from 4secs to 4.4secs, without the Preloader enabled. It's only the warm restarts that are very significantly slowed, by 33% to 50% slower, depending on the site that Firefox is opening to, but it's consistent for that site.

You're also testing in Germany and I'm in the United States and there might be different servers used, although it's probably you're "quite fast" connection speed and the SSD that's the reason you're not seeing this problem. Even at 1sec. I'm still wondering how precisely you're timing it, because at that short time with random variation, you have to do it many times and time it accurately to be sure there's no difference, but assuming you did all that, it's still not a fair comparison, using a "quite fast" connection speed with an SSD, which is not the typical user.

You're also ignoring what I keep said about this slowdown having gotten noticeably WORSE in the last few months. That's why I started troubleshooting Firefox until I finally deleted the profile and did a clean install and there was absolutely no difference. That's when I was certain there was nothing at all wrong with Firefox. Only after that did I get suspicious about ABP and proved it with systematic testing. Also, there's not a single thing in this computer that has slowed, including Firefox, except for the warm start site loading with Firefox closed, and then opening it to different sites.

You also ignored what I said about Ablock for Chrome not slowing it down at all, on the same computer - only ABP for Firefox. (I didn't see ABP for Chrome in the Chrome store, but I'll check again).

You also said that you've only read that some users with "slow computers" are having slow site loading. Here's Axaion's post, copied and pasted from the forum: Notice the DIFFERENCE in site load times he's describing, with and without ABP and it's not a "slow computer", so don't tell me there are only people with "slow computers" complaining about slow loading which, according to you, "is to be expected".

Adblock plus stalls and slows down firefox on loading sites
Postby Axaion » Thu May 31, 2012 8:41 am
Ok, so i reinstalled windows yesterday, and installed nightly x64(before anyone goes to say thats the problem, ill let you know i had this issue with Release Firefox, Auroura, Auroura 64bit, nightly 32bit and 64bit.)
this only happens in firefox, in chromium it dosent happen.
Basicly, even without a list, loading a site which is almost instant for me to load without adblock enabled, takes 3 seconds, even the orb where you can see the page load, it freezes
Ive reinstalled firefox about 10 times the past few hours, and it keeps happening.

Heres my system specs;
CPU; Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard; ASRock z68 extreme4
RAM; Corsair Vengeance 4x2GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 1.5v
HDD; Crucial M4 128GB, Western Digital Caviar Black (Ive got my firefox profile on this one, same with chromium)
GFX card; Geforce 560 Ti
All drivers are updated, and so are all the addons i use, and so is adblock plus, even just that alone after a fresh install of any version of firefox

What gives?, i really don't want to not use adblock, ads all over the place..
Axaion

The fact that you're not able to reproduce this problem doesn't necessarily mean anything except that you can't reproduce it with completely different specs., which is what I predicted might be the case. The bug is real and needs to be fixed. Everything in my computer is running fast and flawlessly, except for ABP causing this site loading slowdown on repeat warm Firefox starts. Take a look at how many people are have viewed this my bug report in less than 24 hrs. as well as how many viewed Axaion's post and then tell me nobody's got this problem, or do you just automatically assume they've all got slow computers, and slow connections? And no, it's "not unexpected" that even with a slow computer or connection speed, that ABP should be causing an INCREASED slowdown, compared to not using it. I shouldn't have to go out and buy an SSD and pay for very high speed cable, just to be able to use ABP with no significant slowdown.
Last edited by Marathonracer on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marathonracer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby MonztA » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Marathonracer wrote:I assume you're referring to warm restarts of Firefox only, of course, because I said that site load time with Firefox already open are NOT slowed at all by ABP.

Your assumption is correct. If it's only about the cold starts, why did you call the topic "Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts." then? And also this note doesn't make sense to me: "Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus". Also, from the steps to reproduce it wasn't clear for me that I have to reboot my computer.
Marathonracer wrote:You also said that the list I referred to only had to do with Firefox starts, "not the browsing performance". What do you think I've been talking about - chocolate cake??? Warm starts of Firefox are "starts",not just "browser performance" which is a meaningless term which defines nothing. don't remember anything where that list referred only to cold starts of Firefox - it speaks for itself. This is about ABP slowing the browser "browser performance", specifically with respect to the startup of Firefox - that's what the list was about- although I'm reporting this only as a bug with warm restarts of Firefox - and it slows it more than any other add-on, which is exactly what my testing proved, and much more so in the last few months. Something changed in one of the updates. Do you really think it's even logical that if it slows the initial cold startup that it's not going to slow warm start ups as well? Both are Firefox start ups not simply "browser performance". Oddly, however, as I said, ABP only effects the initial cold start up of Firefox by .5 secs - from 4secs to 4.4secs, without the Preloader enabled. It's only the warm restarts that are very significantly slowed, by 33% to 50% slower, depending on the site that Firefox is opening to, but it's consistent for that site.

Yeah, where is the chocolate cake you were talking about?

Did I miss something? I thought the whole topic is about ABP slowing down/delaying opening of websites? Of course ABP slows down FF on every start since thousands of filters need to be loaded into memory.
Marathonracer wrote:You also ignored what I said about Ablock for Chrome not slowing it down at all, on the same computer - only ABP for Firefox.

It doesn't make much sense to compare a FF extension with a Chrome one. And if you do, do it with its equivalent Adblock Plus for Chrome not AdBlock for Chrome.
Marathonracer wrote:You also said that you've only read that some users with "slow computers" are having slow site loading. Excuse me, but here's Axaion's post, copied and pasted from the forum: Notice the DIFFERENCE in site load times he's describing, with and without ABP and it's not a "slow computer", so don't tell me there are only people with "slow computers" complaining about slow loading which, according to you, "is to be expected".

I never said that. :roll:
Marathonracer wrote:Take a look at how many people are have viewed this my bug report in less than 24 hrs. as well as how many viewed Axaion's post and then tell me nobody's got this problem, or do you just automatically assume they've all got slow computers, and slow connections?

Putting words into my mouth again, huh? The view counter doesn't really mean much anyway.
Marathonracer wrote:And no, it's "not unexpected" that even with a slow computer or connection speed, that ABP should be causing an INCREASED slowdown, compared to not using it.

Why not? Then tell me how a slow computer should handle 37,000 filters without a slowdown.
Marathonracer wrote:I shouldn't have to go out and buy an SSD and pay for very high speed cable, just to be able to use ABP with no significant slowdown.

Whatevs.
MonztA
ABP IT Officer
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Germany

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Marathonracer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 am

MonztA wrote:
Marathonracer wrote:I assume you're referring to warm restarts of Firefox only, of course, because I said that site load time with Firefox already open are NOT slowed at all by ABP.

Your assumption is correct. If it's only about the cold starts, why did you call the topic "Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts." then? And also this note doesn't make sense to me: "Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus". Also, from the steps to reproduce it wasn't clear for me that I have to reboot my computer.
Marathonracer wrote:You also said that the list I referred to only had to do with Firefox starts, "not the browsing performance". What do you think I've been talking about - chocolate cake??? Warm starts of Firefox are "starts",not just "browser performance" which is a meaningless term which defines nothing. don't remember anything where that list referred only to cold starts of Firefox - it speaks for itself. This is about ABP slowing the browser "browser performance", specifically with respect to the startup of Firefox - that's what the list was about- although I'm reporting this only as a bug with warm restarts of Firefox - and it slows it more than any other add-on, which is exactly what my testing proved, and much more so in the last few months. Something changed in one of the updates. Do you really think it's even logical that if it slows the initial cold startup that it's not going to slow warm start ups as well? Both are Firefox start ups not simply "browser performance". Oddly, however, as I said, ABP only effects the initial cold start up of Firefox by .5 secs - from 4secs to 4.4secs, without the Preloader enabled. It's only the warm restarts that are very significantly slowed, by 33% to 50% slower, depending on the site that Firefox is opening to, but it's consistent for that site.

Yeah, where is the chocolate cake you were talking about?

Did I miss something? I thought the whole topic is about ABP slowing down/delaying opening of websites? Of course ABP slows down FF on every start since thousands of filters need to be loaded into memory.
Marathonracer wrote:You also ignored what I said about Ablock for Chrome not slowing it down at all, on the same computer - only ABP for Firefox.

It doesn't make much sense to compare a FF extension with a Chrome one. And if you do, do it with its equivalent Adblock Plus for Chrome not AdBlock for Chrome.
Marathonracer wrote:You also said that you've only read that some users with "slow computers" are having slow site loading. Excuse me, but here's Axaion's post, copied and pasted from the forum: Notice the DIFFERENCE in site load times he's describing, with and without ABP and it's not a "slow computer", so don't tell me there are only people with "slow computers" complaining about slow loading which, according to you, "is to be expected".

I never said that. :roll:
Marathonracer wrote:Take a look at how many people are have viewed this my bug report in less than 24 hrs. as well as how many viewed Axaion's post and then tell me nobody's got this problem, or do you just automatically assume they've all got slow computers, and slow connections?

Putting words into my mouth again, huh? The view counter doesn't really mean much anyway.
Marathonracer wrote:And no, it's "not unexpected" that even with a slow computer or connection speed, that ABP should be causing an INCREASED slowdown, compared to not using it.

Why not? Then tell me how a slow computer should handle 37,000 filters without a slowdown.
Marathonracer wrote:I shouldn't have to go out and buy an SSD and pay for very high speed cable, just to be able to use ABP with no significant slowdown.

Whatevs.


You ask me if you missed something ? You ask me after all I said over and over and over again - you tell me you thought this was "All about ABP slowing down/ opening websites"? Where did I ever say it was only that? I said the bug is about opening Firefox on WARM RESTARTS TO THE SAME TESTED SITES. IT'S IN THE TITLE OF THE BUG REPORT. ABP SLOWS SITE LOADING ON WARM RESTARTS. A WARM RESTART MEANS A RESTART OF THE BROWSER AFTER THE INITIAL START. I titled it that way because that's exactly what I meant. I'm timing the delay in Firefox opening to different sites, after being closed. I'm not just measuring Firefox's launch time before the site appears, I'm timing the delay in opening Firefox to a given site. So it's the ABP is slowing slowing the site load times on repeated warm restarts of Firefox. I clarified that as well, but you don't read very well. I said that on the cold start of Firefox - the first time starting Firefox and automatically opening to /loading any site, there is minimal slowdown of only .5 secs for the Google Homepage, for example, from 4 secs to 4.5 secs. I said this bug was about WARM RESTARTS OF FIREFOX OPENING TO THE SAME SITES AFTER CLOSING AND REOPENING FIREFOX REPEATEDLY - THAT'S WHAT A WARM START IS. You say..."? Of course ABP slows down FF on every start since thousands of filters need to be loaded into memory' So you think I was only talking about site loading when Firefox is open when I clarified that in every possible way, starting with the Bug Title? The slowdown is greater than it should be and has gotten worse and no, it's NOT simply a matter of "loading 37000 filters, because it doesn't cause that delay on an initial cold startup. There's NO SLOWDOWN OF CONNECTING TO/ OPENING SITES IF FIREFOX IS ALREADY OPEN. I was very clear about that. If you're just going to the site with Firefox already open, there's NO SLOWDOWN.' I said that over and over again, that my bug was about ... OPENING FIREFOX TO THE WEBSITE, ON REPEATED WARM RESTARTS OF FIREFOX. THAT'S WHERE THE SLOWDOWN OCCURS and it's more than it should be and has gotten worse and it's annoying. IT MEANS, IN PLAIN ENGLISH, YOU HAVE FIREFOX CLOSED. THEN YOU OPEN IT DIRECTLY TO THE REMEMBERED WEBSITE, even if it's only the Homepage that it's set to open to. The first time, it's called a cold start but after that, on repeated restarts, it's referred to as warm restarts. I SAID THAT VERY CLEARLY IN MY STEPS TO REPRODUCE, exactly what to do to reproduce it. I EVEN REPEATEDLY CLARIFIED THAT FOR YOU BE DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN THE REPEATED WARM RESTARTS OF FIREFOX OPENING TO THE TESTED SITE, AND THE FACT THAT IF FIREFOX IS ALREADY OPEN, THERE IS NO SLOWDOWN. THAT, DUDE, IS NOT A WARM RESTART OF FIREFOX. THE WORD RESTART MEANS FIREFOX IS CLOSED. You say my steps to reproduce didn't make that clear??? Sorry, but my Steps To Reproduce were exactly correct and here they are , copied and pasted, although I'll clarify one thing that may have confused you, but it shouldn't have.
Note: Make sure you have Firefox Options set to "Remember my windows and tabs from last time", so you can close and reopen Firefox to the same site automatically.
1.Start Windows normally with Adblock Plus enabled. Launch Firefox. Note: The site loading time at initial cold startup is not significantly affected by Adblock Plus - from about 4 secs to 4.5 secs.
2. Close Firefox and then reopen it to Google Home Page after several seconds.
3. Repeat this while reopening to different sites, such as the Huffington Post, or YouTube or The New York Times. (Repeat Step 2. Close and reopen Firefox to automatically load the same site from last time).
4. Disable Adblock Plus and repeat Steps 1-4 and note the time reduction in site loading.

I said on Step 1. to launch Firefox. I said there's no significant slowdown when you do that. I even gave the numbers. 4.5 secs open to Google with ABP, and 4 secs with it disabled.
Step 2. is to Close Firefox and then reopen it to Google Homepage. Read it again. I said first you close Firefox and then repeatedly reopen it to the different tested websites. I couldn't have been any clearer(. It's implied that Firefox should be set to "Remember my windows and tabs from last time", but I'm adding that Note. Step 3 was to repeat this with different websites, opening Firefox to them after closing them, which was Step 2. How much clearer could I get? If step 2 says to Close and then reopen Firefox to the site, and step 3 says to repeat step 2, then you do it. It's that simple. Close and reopen Firefox to the test website. But you didn't do that, did you? You simply opened Firefox and THEN started reopening sites. I specifically reported that when you do that, there is no slowdown at all caused by ABP! I even said that there's definitely a clue there about the difference, but that's for Wladimir to work on figuring out and improving. Guess what.... I said if you do what you did... simply going to the site with Firefox already open, I get almost the same fast times you do, maybe 1.5 secs to your 1sec. But I get the same time with ABP enabled or disabled, just like you do.

The only thing I should have clarified - although it was implied - is that to test it Firefox's options must be set to "Remember my windows and tabs from last time", so it will automatically reopen whatever site you're testing with repeated reopenings of Firefox. I'm editing that instruction in, but I thought it was obvious that that's the only way you could do step 2 repeatedly closing and reopening Firefox to other sites, but I should have included that Note and I'm adding it. But even if you didn't have it set that way, you'd still be able to test Firefox opening to the Homepage and still see the slowdown, which for me, is 2seca vs 3secs with ABP enabled. That's a 50% additional slowdown and that's ridiculous. Imagine if all extensions caused that much slowdown? Firefox would take forever load any site when restarting it, including the Homepage.

You make a big deal about why it's shouldn't be "normal' to take a long time to load 37,000 filters? Do you have any idea how much more work Norton Internet Security has to do with checking a data base infinitely larger, in addition to constantly checking behavioral characteristics in addition to doing updates every 5 mins, in addition to its firewall, in addition to its other multi layers of protection, running constantly in the background. A few years ago, it was a system hog. Enough users complained, so that today, it's clearly one of the fastest, lightest security software suites on the planet. Why? Because they took the complaints seriously and didn't try to snow people like you're doing. Of course there's going to be some minimal slowdown but certainly not the amount I and others like Axaion have described. I't the amount of slowdown, combined with the fact that there's zero slowdown connecting to sites if Firefox is already open, combined with the fact that I said that there is very minimal slowdown on the first (cold) start of Firefox to the same site. You keep ignoring all of that and just insist on defending the bug. Well, it is a bug and Wladimir is going to have to deal with it or he'll lose users because, as I also said, it's gotten worse , not better. Developers try desperately to avoid the very browser problem I've reported and you're making excuses for it.

You accuse me of putting words in your mouth? You have the nerve to deny saying that you said that all you saw from other users were people with "slow computers" and that loading sites slowly was not "unexpected'"? You didn't say that, huh? Here's your own words, big mouth, copied and pasted...."I have only read some topics where users are complaining about browsing performance on slow computers which is not unexpected" , in response to my referring to many others complaining about this same slowdown. Your words, not mine. That's why I copied and pasted Axaion's post, but apparently you're still ignoring it. It's easier for you to accuse me of putting words in your mouth. I also corrected you about what the problem is and it's NOT about slow computers loading sites slowly. It's the slowdown DIFFERENCE cause specifically by ABP and that's what my bug and Axaion Have the maturity to read what the hell I explained to you in my last reply about that. I'm not going to keep copying and pasting what I've already said to you that you intentionally choose to ignore.

You also say that the view counter means very little ? What's wrong with you ? People don't look up a post unless it's on a topic that's a problem to them, whether they reply or not. It may not apply to all of them, but it certainly is a good indication that many many other people are have a similar problem with that slowdown connecting to sites when you restart Firefox. For to say that doesn't mean anything anyway, just shows your ignorance.

I tried very hard to make you understand exactly what I've been explaining. You only read what fits your preconceived incorrect notion of "normal", and ignore anything that contradicts that. It's very easy for someone with an SSD and a "quite fast" connection speed to just assume that any major slowdown for anyone else is "norma" and acceptable- it's not. My sarcastic remark about "chocolate", was obviously in response to your not understanding that the Mozilla list of worst add-ons for slowing Firefox starts was simply backing up my own and others complaints about ABP and it did NOT exclude warm starts as being slowed by ABP, it just referred to extensions that slowed Firefox's start times. Well, when you restart Firefox multiple times and automatically have it opening to the remembered site, that's a Firefox Start also, so the list certainly does apply. You completely misunderstood that by your dumb comment about browsing performance, as if that's some separate, unrelated issue, as if restarts to the the same site were not a matter of browser performance - it certainly is, if ABP is slowing it down.
ABP was the WORST ADD-ON in terms of slowing Firefox starts. You're the one who didn't understand that Warm Starts are duh, ... STARTS. I also never said a goddamn thing about "rebooting your computer", because if you do that, that the next time you launch Firefox to any remembered site, even the Homepage, you're doing a cold start, which doesn't involve any significant slowdown, and I reported that, and also told you that, so that reference to rebooting the computer is just plain wrong. That only proves that on a cold start, Firefox is NOT significantly slowed by ABP, as I repeatedly said. I tested this in Safe Mode with Networking, that's all, proving that it was, in fact ABP causing the slow starts, repeatedly.
The reference to "chocolate' was quite obviously meant as a sarcastic reply to your nonsense about the "list', which you didn't understand as slowing FIREfox starts. It did NOT specify cold or warm starts and Firefox 'start" times is precisely what I've been complaining about, although specifically it's only the warm restarts opening it to the previous site that's affected by the slowdown.

You foolishly ask me why it loading 37,000 filters shouldn't slow down the browser opening? Are you serious with that question? You know damn well I said a lot more than just that! With all the complaints and my own testing, about it which you choose to misinterpret, ignore completely, and dismiss at will, you completely and repeatedly ignore the fact the slowdown has gotten WORSE and it's more than is reasonable, since it doesn't happen with the first, cold start of Firefox opening to the same site. So, there's the proof that loading 37,000 filters doesn't have to slow Firefox's opening, more than very minimally. I specifically said initially that I know ABP has a lot of work to do but it shouldn't be slowing down the browser opening to sites by nearly that much and it shouldn't be getting worse, instead of better. You conveniently ignored that little detail, didn't you? You continue to ignore that many others are complaining about this. If loading 37,000 filters has to, by your idiotic "logic", slow down Firefox opening that much, then you should be having the exact same problem. Oh, but you don't because you have an SSD drive amd "quite fast" connection speed. Of course, that' not the only reason. You also didn't even understand the bug. Did it ever occur to your clearly unscientific brain, that the Developers of good extensions, just like good apps, always strive to REDUCE AND MINIMIZE ANY SLOWDOWN OF THE BROWSER STARTS AND SITE CONNECTIONS - NOT MAKE IT WORSE AND THEN WHEN USERS RIGHTLY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, JUST DISMISS IT. But, of course, you're not a Developer.

And when I said to you that I shouldn't have to buy an SSD drive and pay for blazing fast cable - "quite fast" - just to get decent Firefox restart site load times using ABP, you answer me with the dismissive"Whatevs"? How old are you - or are you just naturally that stupid and arrogant? This isn't twitter or a school playground - it's a bug report. If you can't deal with your ignorant statements being challenged, then shut the hell up and don't reply to me.

I didn't find AdBlock Plus for Chrome originally, although I know it used to be available for Chrome and you reminded me to search for it. That's the only reason I tested with Abblock. But I just found ABP for Chrome and tested it and it's exactly what I reported for Adblock. Setting Chrome to "continue where I left off", there is NO SLOWDOWN IN CHROME WHEN YOU REPEATEDLY CLOSE AND REOPEN CHROME TO LOAD THE TEST SITE FROM LAST TIME. I've now proven that with ABP and also Adblock. The bug is very specific and only happens with Firefox, when you reopen it AFTER the first, cold start in that session. If it stays open, or minimized to the task bar, there's no slowdown connecting to repeatedly to the site, but if you repeatedly close and reopen Firefox, that's when the slowdown happens, consistently.
Last edited by Marathonracer on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Marathonracer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby MonztA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:35 am

Marathonracer wrote:Your the one who didn't read my description and steps to reproduce carefully and mistakenly thought I was talking about simply going to sites after Firefox is already open.
Marathonracer wrote:I SAID THAT VERY CLEARLY IN MY STEPS TO REPRODUCE, exactly what to do, but you didn't follow the steps.

I did read the steps and always restarted FF before opening the page again.
Marathonracer wrote:...you answer me with the adolescent "Whatevs"??? How old are you - or are you just naturally that stupid and arrogant?

I was just adapting myself.

Good luck finding a solution.
MonztA
ABP IT Officer
 
Posts: 3957
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Germany

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Marathonracer » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 am

MonztA wrote:
Marathonracer wrote:Your the one who didn't read my description and steps to reproduce carefully and mistakenly thought I was talking about simply going to sites after Firefox is already open.
Marathonracer wrote:I SAID THAT VERY CLEARLY IN MY STEPS TO REPRODUCE, exactly what to do, but you didn't follow the steps.

I did read the steps and always restarted FF before opening the page again.
Marathonracer wrote:...you answer me with the adolescent "Whatevs"??? How old are you - or are you just naturally that stupid and arrogant?

I was just adapting myself.

Good luck finding a solution.


OK No problem. There were just some misunderstandings. I'm looking for that "chocolate cake". Whatevs.

Glad you tested the same way ( I thought you were saying the opposite). I tested Adlock Plus for Internet Explorer and found an increased delay also, but not as much. It's a Developer issue for future improvements, so I doubt I'll find a solution.
Marathonracer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby V » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:03 pm

I just installed Firefox, and like last time I installed it, adblock plus slowed openning the browser. Without adblock it openned in 3 to 4 seconds, with adblock 8 to 9 seconds. Only add-on installed. Anyone know of a good replacement?
V
 

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 pm

V wrote:I just installed Firefox, and like last time I installed it, adblock plus slowed openning the browser. Without adblock it openned in 3 to 4 seconds, with adblock 8 to 9 seconds. Only add-on installed. Anyone know of a good replacement?


I have the same problem and have been reporting this through several threads around here already. Still waiting up on an actual response as to whether or not the issue is being looked at. Right now, you really only two other options: a) Stick with Firefox, but use a different adblocker instead of "Adblock Plus", or b) Install "Adblock Plus" while using a different web browser, such as Opera or Google Chrome.
Guest
 

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby shamimkhaliq » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:07 pm

me too, using chrome and adblock plus on fast cable internet i can't see webpages for ages with a message saying, "loading adblock plus" or something like that. googling, i find lots of people are having the same problem
shamimkhaliq
 

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby mapx » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:20 pm

shamimkhaliq wrote:me too, using chrome and adblock plus on fast cable internet i can't see webpages for ages with a message saying, "loading adblock plus" or something like that. googling, i find lots of people are having the same problem


viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19900
User avatar
mapx
 
Posts: 21946
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Adblock Plus slows Firefox site load time on warm restarts.

Postby mjdbb1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Just to throw in my two cents, I'm having the same problem.

I went through basically the same process above, eliminating plugins and Firefox versions to make sure it's an ABP problem. I can see anywhere between 3-6 seconds or so delay on restart. It's enough to be annoying, for sure.

For the record, I tried some of the forks of ABP, like Adblock Edge, and it suffers from the same problem. I've also tried removing the filter lists and that doesn't help. I know the filter lists are pretty big, but even with no filters selected at all I have this delay.



That issue is on Chrome. But it's still a slowdown at startup, so could be related...
mjdbb1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:15 am


Next

Return to Bug reports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest