Betrayal once again

This is the place to discuss issues with the acceptable ads list like a website no longer complying with the criteria.
Celtic

Betrayal once again

Post by Celtic »

I use Adblock lite since Vladimir Palant has been sold to a commercial stuff. There are no acceptable ads. All ads are craps which must be flushed. But this is not the topic.
The maker of Easylist is massively using white lists and this is not acceptable. This is a second betrayal. I really hope there will be a fork to this list in which the "@@" are removed. It is the user choice to whitelist what he likes.
More info :
http://dottech.org/25096/what-is-accept ... lock-plus/
It is now known that Adblock Plus accepts money from companies and websites (e.g. Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. to be placed on the acceptable ads whitelist while some small websites are put on there for free.
fanboy

Re: Betrayal once again

Post by fanboy »

Its not exactly a "hidden" option.
mapx

Post by mapx »

@celtic, you had already the reason for whitelisting
forum/viewtopic.php?p=72771#p72771
forum/viewtopic.php?p=67612#p67612
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Celtic wrote:The maker of Easylist is massively using white lists and this is not acceptable. This is a second betrayal. I really hope there will be a fork to this list in which the "@@" are removed. It is the user choice to whitelist what he likes.]
I really don't understand how this is 'betrayal'. People expect ABP to work just after installation and to achieve that it's inevitable to whitelist specific resources.

Post by Guest »

Is there a page, thread or list somewhere that details the whitelisted sites and provides some info on why it has been whitelisted?

That might help aid end users in knowing which they may want to allow or uncheck individually.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Guest wrote:Is there a page, thread or list somewhere that details the whitelisted sites and provides some info on why it has been whitelisted?
Other than our commit/change log, no (if you meant the whitelists in EasyList).
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Guest wrote:Is there a page, thread or list somewhere that details the whitelisted sites and provides some info on why it has been whitelisted?
Not sure if that's what you mean but every site that wants their ads to be whitelisted has to have a proposal on this forum first. You can see a list of all proposals with further details to each of those in the Acceptable Ads proposals subforum (those marked as "[Added]" are currently on the list).
mapx

Post by mapx »

I guess he is referring to easylist exceptions

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I was referring to the @@ ones listed in the various filters. The change log is new to me but that looks more time consuming to keep current. I was hoping there was something similar for the @@ ones that might contain a small bit of info on why it was whitelisted. There are so many @@ exceptions that it can be intimidating to know why things are being allowed.

I have unchecked a handful on my used filter and never noticed a negative side effect. One was in my top 10 most accessed, something for wbshop.com, and is a site I don't even visit so it must be used on some sites other than wbshop.com.

Things calls something else to mind. I have noticed that the hit counter doesn't always accurately count for some filters. For example, I noticed @@||google.com/js/gweb/analytics/$domain=google.com was being accessed each time on gmail but the hit counter never seem to reflect it (I unchecked that and another gmail ad @@ and have never noticed an impact). Is that just a random thing as the hit counter otherwise seems to work fine for most things?
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Again, only reason there is an exception list in Easylist is because without it there are issues on some sites. All whitelists are added for a reason to make sites work with Easylist, nothing suspect.