Incorrect window sizing

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
bitwyse

Incorrect window sizing

Post by bitwyse »

Hello
Super program, everything works well, many thanks.
But the preferences window is always wider than the screen (whether maximised or reduced) and cannot be modified (although its height can be changed) and the right hand side is always cut off - both the contents and the window's scroll bar.
(This is the only case in which this ever happens.)

Configuration:
Windows XP Pro SP3
SeaMonkey 2.22
Gingerbread Man

Re: Incorrect window sizing

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

No such problem here. I tested both the English version and the French version. The window isn't larger than the screen, and it can be resized like any other window.

Disable all extensions besides Adblock Plus, then restart Seamonkey. Does the problem still occur?

If yes, start Seamonkey in a new profile (Tools menu → Switch profile) and install Adblock Plus there. Does the problem still occur?

Upgrade to Seamonkey 2.25. There's no point in missing out on security patches.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known- ... onkey.html
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Hello
Gingerbread Man wrote:No such problem here.
That's programming my friend ;-)
Gingerbread Man wrote: The window isn't larger than the screen, and it can be resized like any other window.
My window can be resized vertically but no element (border, separator...) can be moved horizontally.
Gingerbread Man wrote:Disable all extensions besides Adblock Plus, then restart Seamonkey. Does the problem still occur?
Yes
Gingerbread Man wrote:If yes, start Seamonkey in a new profile (Tools menu → Switch profile) and install Adblock Plus there. Does the problem still occur?
Yes
Gingerbread Man wrote:Upgrade to Seamonkey 2.25. There's no point in missing out on security patches.
No. I wait until all the extensions I use have been updated.
I never install beta versions (except for testing).
For example (among others)
"SeaMonkey 2.25 : L'utilisation des versions de développement d'Adblock Plus est recommandée."

Regards
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

What's the actual absolute resolution you are using?
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Hello
p_hill wrote:What's the actual absolute resolution you are using?
It's 1280x1024 (logical desktop == maximum physical screen resolution).

What is curious is that the window - whether reduced or maximised - is the same fixed width (wider than the screen), and the window's contents are wider than the 'frame'.
That is to say, when I click on 'maximise' the scroll bar is off the right-hand side, and the last column is not visible (and nothing can be moved horizontally).

I wondered if this was related to my configuration so I already did some tests to eliminate the possibility.
On this computer I often use 2 screens with Windows extended desktop (so I can have for example DreamWeaver full-screen on one and SeaMonkey full-screen on the other).
I thought "maybe ABP isn't using the right call to get the single desktop size available" (because all other programmes get it right).
So I stopped the extended desktop and switched off the second screen. Then I uninstalled ABP and re-installed it - but it was still the same.
However that doesn't prove anything. Either ABP is not getting and using the correct screen size when it creates its window - OR - it has stored a width somewhere (which isn't uninstalled cleanly) and continues to use an obsolete value. OR...

And then I have another computer in my network - my portable - which has almost exactly the same installation as this one duplicated (and all user data synchronised).
It also uses two screens (when it is connected to the network) - but very different. The main desktop is 1680x1050 and the portable's own screen is 1024x768. But ABP on the external screen displays correctly!

Regards
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Seamonkey 2.25 is the stable version, not beta. The system requirements page is outdated. I've filed a bug report about it.

The default window size for me in the French version is 1187×562, so it would fit if I were using your resolution. My DPI setting is higher than average, so it would normally be smaller than that.

Seamonkey stores the window size, not Adblock Plus. It's kept in the localstore.rdf file in the profile folder, which also stores your toolbar customizations.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Localstore.rdf
bitwyse wrote:My window can be resized vertically but no element (border, separator...) can be moved horizontally.
Can you provide a screenshot?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... int-screen
You can upload it to a host like imgur.com and post the link here.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you trying to resize the window horizontally by clicking and dragging one of the lateral edges, or something else?
If the window edges aren't visible, you can press Alt+Space to bring up the window menu, and then press S to choose the Size option (it's almost certainly a different key in the French version of Windows though). You can then use the arrow keys to resize the window.
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Seamonkey 2.25 is the stable version, not beta. The system requirements page is outdated. I've filed a bug report about it.
Yes, I know SM 2.25 is a release version. What I was referring to was using a beta version of AdBlock+
(But it doesn't change anything: other extensions also are not yet updated for SM 2.25)
Gingerbread Man wrote:Seamonkey stores the window size, not Adblock Plus.
Curious that SM itself and other extensions use correct window sizes...
Gingerbread Man wrote:Can you provide a screenshot?
http://abp.le-maquis.net/
User: "abp"
Password: "window"
(link and login will remain valid for 48 hours)
Gingerbread Man wrote:I don't understand what you mean. Are you trying to resize the window horizontally by clicking and dragging one of the lateral edges...
Yes, as usual. But the cursor doesn't change to a double arrow (not on the separator between the panes either).
The bottom edge works normally, and the bottom right corner can be moved vertically but not horizontally.

Post by Guest »

Gingerbread Man wrote:Seamonkey stores the window size, not Adblock Plus. It's kept in the localstore.rdf file...
OK, thanks, that's the solution.
I uninstalled Adblock+, deleted all references to it from 'localstore.rdf' (which hadn't been removed automatically - including an excessive window width) and re-installed. Now it's OK.

So it looks as if SeaMonkey recorded an invalid size - and once it was wrong it was never corrected.
It managed to create a window bigger than the screen which upset Windows and didn't respond to normal controls (out of range?) so it couldn't be resized - and I suppose that the same wrong dimensions kept getting stored back.

Not worth following up unless it happens again - may not be repeatable.