How to disable automatic check for updates

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Internet Explorer
ecolint

How to disable automatic check for updates

Post by ecolint »

Hi everyone,

Since the new release of Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer, a popup asking to update the plugin appears.

I would like to be able to hide the popup message who says: "A new version of Adblock Plus is ready to be installed. Do you want to install it now?".

Users are not administrator of computers and won't be able to update the plugin in IE who is asking administrative rights.

Is there any registry key to add? Or ini file to modify?

Thank you for your help,
paulrichards

Re: How to disable automatic check for updates

Post by paulrichards »

I also would like to know since we have the same problem in our environment.
paulrichards

Post by paulrichards »

Here is a workaround: forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24600
LunaB

Post by LunaB »

This should not be as involved as it is. Upgraded to 1.2. Didn't work so uninstalled and went back to 1.1 on my Win 7 machine. Now I get the message to upgrade several times a day. Very annoying. There should be a simple way for individual users like me to disable this message, particularly since I've said "No" for the umpteenth time...
denisg

Post by denisg »

LunaB wrote:This should not be as involved as it is. Upgraded to 1.2. Didn't work so uninstalled and went back to 1.1 on my Win 7 machine. Now I get the message to upgrade several times a day. Very annoying. There should be a simple way for individual users like me to disable this message, particularly since I've said "No" for the umpteenth time...
Agreed!

Den.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Hello,

I'm an IE 10 user. After the upgrade to 1.2 the software didn't work as it worked in 1.1. After I found and read the acceptable ads "feature" I've immediately changed the settings to disable ALL ads. However there are some gaps and some ads appear to load. Moreover some ads appear as loading images. All of this didn't happen before the upgrade. So after quick uninstall and reinstall of the 1.1 version everything went fine except the automatic update feature which constantly popped up asking me to upgrade.

I read the thread which suggests to use the windows firewall to block the update url but I didn't like this approach. So I ended up modifying the hosts file. I've put the update url to point to localhost. For several days I haven't seen the update popup.

How to do this:
1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
2. Open "hosts" file with notepad
3. After the commented text (with # signs) make a new line and put "127.0.0.1 update.adblockplus.org" without quotes
4. Save and restart IE.

This solved the issue for me.
José

Post by José »

LunaB wrote:This should not be as involved as it is. Upgraded to 1.2. Didn't work so uninstalled and went back to 1.1 on my Win 7 machine. Now I get the message to upgrade several times a day. Very annoying. There should be a simple way for individual users like me to disable this message, particularly since I've said "No" for the umpteenth time...
Same with me. Very annoying indeed! The problem is that the developers just don't care :-(
mapx

Post by mapx »

The devs take care, but there is a lot of work to do.
And you could read the post above (shade's post) and try the workaround there.
mapx

Post by mapx »

it will be added an option to disable the updates:
see https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/1605
Visitor

Post by Visitor »

Hello,

Shade's recommendation appears to be working for me. It's been two days and I have not seen the update notice. To make his recommended changes to the host file, you may have to run notepad as an administrator. Just right-click on notepad and click on "Run as an Administrator." Thanks
noelpg29

Post by noelpg29 »

ABP 1.3 was released in December 2014 and does not seem to have the option to disable automatic check for updates.
but Shade's workaround seem to be the best option for now.
DaveK

Post by DaveK »

Bless Shade! We all want to have his baby! lol
stino

Post by stino »

Your software messed up my explorer. I can't believe I'm surposed to go and edited the Host file in order to get rid of your pesky update pop up "BUG".. Even after uninstalling the software, the pop ups continue

Wonderfull, an adblocker that spams me with "ads" for it's own updates, you guys have totally lost the plot!
stino

Post by stino »

And btw, this thread was started in September and most viewed in the Explorer section.., "AND IT IS STILL NOT FIXED...?!!!".
ex-user

Post by ex-user »

hmm... I had same problem... and after to read that this is a known old issue and they didnt anything to solve it, I am just going to remove adblock... advs are actually less annoying than adblock itself!