Websites can now detect Adblock and forcingly block viewing.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
jackvcvr

Websites can now detect Adblock and forcingly block viewing.

Post by jackvcvr »

I just went on tweaktown.com and they have a new script to detect if ads have been blocked and will replace/redirect the page if you have it on. I suggest counter-measures against this code.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Add

Code: Select all

.tweaktown.com/jscript/checker.js
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

This no longer works .. they now include the script as an in-line script on all pages.

Any suggestions ?

EDIT : I'm thinking that using Greasemonkey to remove the function detect_abp() or remove any script that references Components.interfaces.nsIAdblockPlus could work.

YesScript could also be used to blacklist tweaktown from loading javascript.

I'm hoping that there is a way to do this without installing other add-ons.
obvious

Post by obvious »

I can confirm that the previous workaround doesn't..er..workaround.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Interesting ... 2 guests and a first-time poster all show up together in this topic? Hmmmm :roll:

OK ... let's see ... who is who? Could it be that obvious? Well anyway what the heck:

@@.tweaktown.com/phpadsnew/$subdocument
EDIT PS:
If the site owner is waiting for me to add counter strings in the subscription for this site, don't plan on it. Do what you want. I'm not wasting my time .... besides, self-destruction is fun to watch :D. Just google "Danny Carlton"
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j0eg0d

inline javascript

Post by j0eg0d »

I used element hiding rules (like) [code]
#*(abp_detector)
[/code] , it caught them but still didn't work ...

I'm sure we'll see some ABP updates for these soon enough.

I'd hope for better javascript controls from FF in the near future. Blocking them is one thing, but having control over each specific script is better.[/code]
"I'm Not God, I Just Look Like Him"
rick752

Post by rick752 »

You don't need that with the EasyList. I just gave you the answer.

EDIT:
The YesScript extension's interface would make a real nice addition to ABP's interface (hint .. hint)
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
j0eg0d

text ads allowed

Post by j0eg0d »

Thanks rick - I used it and I'm blocking the adecn scripts now.
"I'm Not God, I Just Look Like Him"
rick752

Re: Websites can now detect Adblock and forcingly block view

Post by rick752 »

jackvcvr wrote:I suggest counter-measures against this code.

tweaktown.com#body
:lol:
asdf

Post by asdf »

I find having NoScript blocking a couple frames on that page is a viable workaround. Just never click them.
rick752

Post by rick752 »

asdf wrote:I find having NoScript blocking a couple frames on that page is a viable workaround. Just never click them.
NoScript by default will work with that. YesScript should too. It all depends whether you want to block all and whitelist scripts (NoScript) ... or allow all and blacklist scripts (YesScript)
obvious

Post by obvious »

rick752 wrote:Interesting ... 2 guests and a first-time poster all show up together in this topic? Hmmmm :roll:

OK ... let's see ... who is who? Could it be that obvious? Well anyway what the heck:

@@.tweaktown.com/phpadsnew/$subdocument
Hi. I'm a legit poster with no connection to tweaktown or anything like that. I only end up using their site when a better review is not available elsewhere.

The fact that they're 'leading the way' with this adblock blocking was an affront to my sensibilities so I came here looking for a fix...which you've kindly provided.

Many thanks rick752 8) :mrgreen:
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Sorry if you are a legit poster. I become suspicious very easily.
obvious wrote: The fact that they're 'leading the way' with this adblock blocking was an affront to my sensibilities so I came here looking for a fix...which you've kindly provided.

Many thanks rick752 8) :mrgreen:
They are not 'leading the way'. I've seen many anti-adblocking scripts similar to that (and others). I just don't add them to the subscriptions or take many countermeasures to stop them. It is their right to annoy their visitors and my right to allow them to do it. :twisted:

If I create something that fixes it, the users of the site will not be angry enough to complain to them or to leave it. People who use ABP hate ads and won't click on them anyway. I don't know why sites insist that ABP users MUST see the ads ... they won't click them! And sites that try to pull these stunts have a tendency to self destruct ... and I will let them.

On the other hand, I will post a solution for anyone who wants one. But I am reluctant to do so because site owners will read the solution here and try again.

Most all of these can easily be beaten, or the subscriptions can be adjusted for them if some become too much of a problem. I don't WANT to make changes ... but I can if need be. As said before, "These are MY filters ... you can't use my own filters against me because I can change/add/delete anything I want"

I am watching most of these "anti" scripts/techniques and already know what needs to be done with most of these 'tricks'. I'm waiting for any one of them to become a spreading problem. I'll let them all copy it ... and them one day ...*Poof!* :wink:
Last edited by rick752 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
obvious

Post by obvious »

I hear you. :thumbs:

I did deliberately put the quotes round 'leading the way' ;)
krille

The annoying thing

Post by krille »

The annoying thing with blocking all scripts is that the "Quick Navigation - Jump To Page" ComboBox will be disabled as well.

It would be nice if you could allow the Select event (the ComboBox) but block everything else. Essentially blocking any auto-redirect, but allowing user-triggered redirects.