MSNBC pulse360.com ads.

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
HiFlier

MSNBC pulse360.com ads.

Post by HiFlier »

On my first daily visit to msnbc.msn.com, I get a pop up ad from pulse360.com:

http://content.pulse360.com/cgi-bin/con ... =720x400if

I've tried putting the above web address into the Adblock Plus filters as well as the following:

http://content.pulse360.com/*

Neither of these have worked as I still get the pop-up.

I'm guessing I need to do some sort of element hiding filter, but don't know how to dig into html on the msn web site. Any help would be appreciated.

Currently I am using Rick752's Easylist & EasyPrivacy.

Thanks in advance.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I don't get the popup. Verify you don't have a popup exception for msn.com or pulse360.com in Tools > Options > Content > Block pop-up windows > Exceptions

Are you clicking on something on that page before getting the popup?
HiFlier

Post by HiFlier »

The pop-up comes up within a few seconds of opening msnbc web-site, without me clicking on any links.

I checked the exceptions under tools>options>content>block pop-ups exceptions. There is no exception for msnbc or pulse360, but I did find one thing interesting. My list of blocked pop-ups begins with "rossoalicre.it". It appears that most of the "a's" through "r's" are missing. Could be some sort of corruption. I don't see any easy way to re-list sites which should be blocked. I suppose I should un-install / re-install FireFox? Any ideas? Thanks.
Alan

Post by Alan »

HiFlier wrote:The pop-up comes up within a few seconds of opening msnbc web-site, without me clicking on any links.

I checked the exceptions under tools>options>content>block pop-ups exceptions. There is no exception for msnbc or pulse360
I loaded http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ in my clean test profile with the default theme and no extensions. Firefox 3.0.7. I got a message in the Firefox notification bar that it had blocked a popup from www.msnbc.msn.com.

I don't know why your popup blocker isn't working. Do you have any sites Allowed? Hint: click on the Status column in the Pop-ups exceptions window. All of the Allowed sites will be grouped together at either the top or bottom of the list.
but I did find one thing interesting. My list of blocked pop-ups begins with "rossoalicre.it". It appears that most of the "a's" through "r's" are missing. Could be some sort of corruption. I don't see any easy way to re-list sites which should be blocked. I suppose I should un-install / re-install FireFox? Any ideas? Thanks.
Why do you have or need a list of blocked popups? Firefox blocks them all by default. All a Blocked entry in the exceptions list does is prevent the notification of a popup that is marked Blocked. Unless you have a particular need for retaining your popup exceptions, I recommend removing all of them with the Remove All Sites button.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox usually doesn't make any difference to a problem like yours. It's probably in your profile, which stores all your personal settings such as the popup exceptions, bookmarks, etc.

If removing all of your popup exceptions doesn't help, your profile might be hopelessly munged somehow. In that case I suggest creating a new profile and migrating any important data to it.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... g_profiles

Hope this helps. Please let us know whether it does.
wered

Post by wered »

msnbc is just selling ads... block them or deal with the popups
financy

Re: MSNBC pulse360.com ads.

Post by financy »

On my machine pulse360.com ads were popping up when I had newsmax.com on the screen. I deleted the Newsmax site from Tools\Options\Content\block pop ups\exceptions and the pop ups stopped.!!
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Added tracker :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Code: Select all

||athenainstitute.biz^$third-party
http://code.google.com/p/fanboy-adblock ... a08fab93b6
Michael

Post by Michael »

Added to EasyPrivacy (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/1e1b5e2f80c2)

Code: Select all

||athenainstitute.biz^$third-party
Regan

Post by Regan »

Why is MSNBC pulse 360 advertising work at home for a company that is a scam?
Fed up with pulse360

Post by Fed up with pulse360 »

Sure, Firefox automatically blocks the pulse360 popup, but it also gives the user a one-line notification near the top of the screen that the popup has been blocked and asks what should be done. The user responds by clicking "options" or "X". I use msnbc.com as a major news source and visit many pages on the site every day. I find that the pulse360 popup warning message appears soooo many times during an msnbc reading session, that deleting (Xing) the warning message itself is a major annoyance!. If I am set up to always block pulse360, why can't Firefox simply trash the popup automatically and not even bother giving a warning about it?

I searched my registry for "pulse360" and got no hits, so the registry would not seem to be a problem. Pulse360 is also not listed as an exception to websites that are to be blocked, so no problem there either.

The browser is supposed to check the HOSTS file to convert web domain names to url's before going to the DNS. I have an entry in my HOSTS file that points pulse360 to the url 127.0.0.1, which is my own computer. Since there is no pulse360 on my computer the browser should, it seems to me, ignore pulse360 entirely and continue loading the requested page. BUT IT DOESN'T!.

Other web ad sites I have placed in my HOSTS file don't lead to warning messages that require action on my part (accept or kill), they simply result in a message "unable to access web site" that appears in the place on the web page where the intended ad would have gone.

What's so special about pulse360 that it can do an end run around all these anti-ad, anti-popup mechanisms?
Mad_max

Post by Mad_max »

the only thing i know of that blocks those properly is ad muncher

which sucks when I forgot I'm on ubuntu and visit one of those pages.
Successfully Removed Ads - Removed Firefox Plug-in

Post by Successfully Removed Ads - Removed Firefox Plug-in »

I started noticing these ads, primarily on my Facebook business page, and I thought it was just a new Facebook thing. Then I realized one day my laptop was not showing these ads.

I found a plug-in in Mozilla for personalization on Facebook. Once I uninstalled this plug-in the ads went away.

I wish I could recall the exact name but I am just really glad they are gone now.
heathen

Post by heathen »

i had to block all pop ups from msnbc.com to get this annoying thing to go away
FireFox 4.0 user (old guy)

Post by FireFox 4.0 user (old guy) »

Do options under Firefox (top left corner). Click Content. On the Block Popup Windows line click Exceptions. If MSNBC is listed then click that line and click the remove site box at the bottom. Click close. The pulse360.com ads will go away
ivan.quentin

Post by ivan.quentin »

msnbc.com seems to upate its content about once every 10 minutes. When it does, the "pulse 360 blocked" line appears at the top. If I "x" it out, the very useful page down (spacebar), page up (shift-space bar), line down (down arrow) and line up (up arrow) features stop working, at least for me. Is this pulse 360's revenge or what? Has anyone else noticed this.