Easylist or Fanboy ?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
DADSGETNDOWN

Easylist or Fanboy ?

Post by DADSGETNDOWN »

For English/ North America or what ever, what is better now, Easylist or Fanboy ?
In your opinions of course.
Hubird

Re: Easylist or Fanboy ?

Post by Hubird »

Hmmm....If you had of asked this question a few weeks ago I would have pointed you in the direction of Fanboy's list without thinking twice about it. The reason being is that the EasyList maintainer was AWOL but this is no longer the case and everything is back on track and running smoothly now.

EasyList is without a doubt the most popular subscription but that being said I was still using Fanboy's dimensions, adult and P2P lists to complement EasyList back when I was using it.

At the moment I am using Fanboy's lists exclusively and have no issues what so ever but I have used both lists extensively and to be perfectly honest you wont be disappointed with either one.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Usually the answer is EasyList since that's the recommendation in Adblock Plus. It has a very good track record, very fast response to any issues, and it gets lots of feedback. The maintenance issues lately have been a setback but those are solved - there are multiple people updating the filter list now and things are looking very good again.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

While all those things Wladimir said are true and I don't have a bad thing to say about EasyList, in all fairness to Fanboy and the hard work he has put in I'd like to reply to the following:
Wladimir Palant wrote:It has a very good track record
Fanboy has been doing what he does since before I started and has always been quick to help regardless of which list someone is using. From memory he even used to reply to posts on the fitersetG forum long after he disappeared.
Wladimir Palant wrote:very fast response to any issues
Can't fault Fanboy on this front either, he is always lurking about somewhere, weather it be here, on the EasyList forums or on his in forums.

Speed wise I would say Fanboy's list would be at-least on par with EasyList and when it comes to general blocking I think the large collection of dimension based filters in his list might push it in front.

While the following is not directly related to the original question someone might find it helpful and it goes to show his commitment :)

He also seems to have a knack of filling in where he is most needed by maintaining lists for several locals (as well as English)

Bulgarian Adblock
Spanish Adblock
Japanese Adblock
Korean Adblock
Turkish Adblock
Czech Adblock
Chinese Adblock

and several other non ABP capable browsers:

Opera
SRWare Iron Chrome
IE8 (unofficially)

Links:

Fanboy:

Fanboy's Adblock List

Fanboy's Forum

Fanboy Alpha Lists

EastList

EasyList Subscriptions

EasyList Forum

End of rant.....
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Wladimir needs some fanboy lovin' ;)
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

It's not that I don't appreciate the work Fanboy is doing :)

However, I have to choose one list I promote to people who don't have particular preferences. Giving people a choice without giving them obvious criteria for making that choice is confusing (as this thread clearly exemplifies). Both EasyList and Fanboy offer good filter lists with easy and fast ways to resolve issues - no significant difference here. So in the end what matters to me is:

a) EasyList is used by more people. This results in more feedback, consequently users are less likely to run into issues.
b) EasyList is meant for Adblock Plus only, it can use all the possibilities Adblock Plus gives filter subscriptions (particularly the ones that help reduce false positives).

This is why I will continue to recommend EasyList. And while I certainly value diversity, on another level I would prefer prefer people joining efforts instead of producing more and more independent filter lists where nobody can decide why he should choose list A over list B.
ant

Post by ant »

I use both! I know it's bad to use more than on filters, but I rarely have problems. When I do, then I go help to narrow down the conflict and submit the problem. ;)
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

I'm currently using both too. And it does slow page loads very slightly, or at least that's my feeling, but it does work very well.
ant

Post by ant »

IceDogg wrote:I'm currently using both too. And it does slow page loads very slightly, or at least that's my feeling, but it does work very well.
And uses more memory.
Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx) and Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net).
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

ant wrote:
IceDogg wrote:I'm currently using both too. And it does slow page loads very slightly, or at least that's my feeling, but it does work very well.
And uses more memory.
Yea, that is also true, but for me a non issue.
ant

Post by ant »

IceDogg wrote:
ant wrote:
And uses more memory.
Yea, that is also true, but for me a non issue.
Same here on the newer machines. For older ones, yikes!
Fanboy, best of the best

Post by Fanboy, best of the best »

I think Fanboy' have speedy feedback, perfect system for adblocking, etc.
So I like Fanboy better than a localized subscription in Korea.
I recommend useful Fanboy's lists.
he and his partner Hubird are enoughly-qualified subscription maintainer. :P
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Wait, Hubird helps maintain Fanboy's list? See if I had known that I wouldn't have said all I said about Easylist having more then one maintainer and how I was more comfortable with that. Now it doesn't matter as both list have more then one maintainer. Correct?
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

@IceDogg

Yes I am now helping Fanboy with his lists, however it only happened very recently. Your statements were correct at the time of writing :D
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

Hubird wrote:@IceDogg

Yes I am now helping Fanboy with his lists, however it only happened very recently. Your statements were correct at the time of writing :D
Thank you for that, now I don't feel so stupid. :)