subscriptionSelection.dtd Wording

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Michael

subscriptionSelection.dtd Wording

Post by Michael »

I have a few suggestions for changes to the wording in this file:
  1. The word order doesn't seem natural here:
    <!ENTITY description.newInstall "
    For Adblock Plus to be most effective you should add a filter subscription.
    These filter subscriptions are provided by other Adblock Plus users free of
    charge. The most suitable filter subscriptions for your language is already
    selected.
    ">
    I would recommend a change to:
    <!ENTITY description.newInstall "
    Adblock Plus will be most effective if you add a filter subscription.
    Filter subscriptions are provided by other Adblock Plus users free of
    charge. The most suitable subscription for your language is already
    selected.
    ">
  2. The terminology used in Adblock Plus has altered slightly since this warning was written:
    <!ENTITY filterset.g.warning "
    It seems that you use Filterset.G. This filter list has been barely
    maintained in the last few years and is a common cause of problems with web
    sites. It is recommended that you uninstall Filterset.G now.
    ">
    <!ENTITY filterset.g.warning "
    It appears that you use Filterset.G. This subscription has not been
    maintained for several years and is a common cause of problems with websites.
    It is recommended that you uninstall Filterset.G now.
    ">
  3. The tense is incorrect here:
    <!ENTITY list.download.failed "Failed retrieving list of subscriptions.">
    <!ENTITY list.download.failed "Adblock Plus failed to retrieve a list of subscriptions.">
  4. A comma is used incorrectly here:
    <!ENTITY external.description "This is an external filter subscription, the filter list will be updated by the extension that created this subscription.">
    <!ENTITY external.description "This is an external filter subscription; it will be updated by the extension that created this subscription.">
Wladimir Palant

Re: subscriptionSelection.dtd Wording

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Thank you, I made the changes you suggested (not pushed yet) with exception of the second (minor change: in the third I say "the list of subscriptions" rather than "a list of subscriptions"). I didn't rephrase the Filterset.G warning because I'm not sure that it is worth the effort (communicating that change to the translators would be necessary). Whoever is still using Filterset.G Updater ignored a dozen warnings, including an update from AMO that would simply uninstall Filterset.G. Filterset.G Updater has now been disabled on AMO - I think that I can simply remove this warning.
Michael

Post by Michael »

May I please ask why you have not pushed the changes yet? Is it a policy decision?
Wladimir Palant

Not really, I am simply trying not to push unimportant changes any more - if changes trigger generation of development builds they better be something people actually care about. I am currently working on a major object tabs change, it should be done soon and I'll push then.
Wladimir Palant

Changes have been pushed, will be in the development build tomorrow.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Not really, I am simply trying not to push unimportant changes any more - if changes trigger generation of development builds they better be something people actually care about. I am currently working on a major object tabs change, it should be done soon and I'll push then.
I am happy to test the dev builds and it's good that the wording is getting updated but I am one of those people who would prefer if these sorts of changes were held off (where possible) until more important changes were ready to be included too.
Wladimir Palant

I actually tried to reduce the number of development builds published but that's pretty hard. Unless I want to go back to trigering new builds manually updates will continue to come out almost daily - even if most people don't care about the changes :-(
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

It doesn't bother me personally. I mean the nightly builds ARE daily so these don't really seem like much of a problem. But I'm one that loves the bleeding edge..well most the time. haha
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

IceDogg wrote:It doesn't bother me personally. I mean the nightly builds ARE daily so these don't really seem like much of a problem. But I'm one that loves the bleeding edge..well most the time. haha
I'm in the same boat but I would prefer it if changes such as simple rewording could be saved up and done all at once. It's not a huge problem or anything though...
Wladimir Palant

The problem with deferring these changes - at some point I would like Michael to have a look at them to verify that I've done it right. And if I am not planning to do any further changes in the next few days I have to push them to the repository on their own.
Wladimir Palant

Actually, I can probably do the development on the "experimental" branch and only merge to the "default" branch on important changes. Development builds are always created from the "default" branch.

PS: I just pushed the first change to the "experimental" branch (add-on descriptions - they aren't part of the XPI anyway). I also made sure that automated updates to the list of recommended subscriptions go there as well.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Thanks for figuring something out...
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

How do we get on the "experimental" branch? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I think it works something like this:

The changes entered into the experimental branch will only be little ones like wording changes.

The default branch is where the bigger changes are added to.

The only branch that has builds automatically generated and released for it is the default branch.

You don't have to get the experimental branch, any changes here will be merged into the default branch when any bigger changes are made.

This means that little changes will not trigger an update but big changes will get us all changes (including the small ones).

I hope that made sense and cleared thing up :?
Wladimir Palant

Yes, Hubird is correct - the "experimental" branch is only there to prevent small changes from triggering development builds. Every time something important comes up development builds will still be created.