[Done] New Adblock Plus icons

Various discussions related to Adblock Plus development
Wladimir Palant

[Done] New Adblock Plus icons

Post by Wladimir Palant »

These icons are from a suggestion in the Babelzilla board:

What do you think about those? I think they are nice, there are several issues however:

- Icon for "enabled" has a shadow on both the left and the right side and also a few other small differences from the "disabled" icon.
- The circle on the "disabled" icon also has shadows on both sides.
- The icons are pretty heavy (3-4kB each), maybe the number of colors can be reduced or compression improved.

In general I'm not quite sure whether they reflect the idea properly, that's why I ask for opinions here.
Last edited by Wladimir Palant on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peng

Post by Peng »

I just ran OptiPNG on 'em, and all it was able to do is reduce abp-disabled.png by 48 bytes.

I think they're okay. They look more professional than the current icons.

There's no image for when Adblock Plus is dead, though. That could just be a greyscale version of those, or by the time you use them, will that not happen?

Looking at 'em at 800% zoom in The GIMP, the amount of colors could definitely be reduced. There are a bunch of different colors just for the green banner.
HeroreV

Post by HeroreV »

I like the roach with the circle and diagonal slash. What's wrong with it? It seems more descriptive and it's prettier.

Post by Guest »

The blue corner seems to me a little ugly. Perhaps another colour (grey?) would be better.
The shadows should be only on one side, not on both.
And the red "not allowed" circle should be transparent (you should see the border of the page through the withe parts).

I do not think that these icons are bad, but they need some tweaking. And I got used to the cockroach... :wink:

Post by Guest »

163 different colours... thats definately too much!
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

With PngOptimizer ( http://psydk.org/PngOptimizer.php ) , these icons are not "heavy" (I find).

Else, they are nice, but... I don't understand what the "cross" means.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hmm. it's a bit odd conceptually, the visual equivalent of a double negative (which is fine in certain languages - non è niente da preoccuparsi - but not english).

ie, an X for negation (block ad) and a circle with slash to negate the negation..

since an octagonal red stop symbol is universal for NO, perhaps that might be the active icon, with a green circle for Ads On.. on top of a page with a banner type thingy.

yeh, overanalyzed, but.. ;)
ariel

Post by ariel »

The roach is match match metter.

Those are kind of dull, IMHO.

I'm for the cockroach! :wink:

Post by Guest »

Hello all,

This is a complete set of icons:

http://abmc.queven.chez-alice.fr/adbp.png

the icons in a zipped file (.jar):

http://abmc.queven.chez-alice.fr/adblockplus.jar

efdur.
Paulfox

Post by Paulfox »

Now those - especially first one - are NICE!!
I'd probably switch the "green" for on and perhaps change the "red light" to yellow for "caution, not on" -- but they're terrific icons. Thank you, "guest!"
Wladimir Palant

Yes, I agree with Paulfox on colors, red definitely shouldn't indicate that Adblock Plus is working properly.

General comment on the icons: while I like the idea, I can't help it - they appear blurry. That's probably because there is so much grey. I tried them with #E0E0E0 background - it is better, but still...

As to the "stop sign" - no, I don't like it. It took me a while to figure out why it doesn't associate with a real stop sign for me. Then it stroke me - a stop sign is an octagon :) Simply compare: http://tti.tamu.edu/researcher/v40n1/im ... signD2.jpg

And it definitely shouldn't say Adbp - the more or less common short name is ABP (it should be uppercased, like on the real stop sign).

PS: The criticism doesn't mean that I don't appreciate you making these icons and sharing them with us ;) Thank you for doing so!
pitdicker

Post by pitdicker »

Can we state
Green - don't block anything
Orange - Selectively block content based on filters
Red - Block all third-party images
efdur

Post by efdur »

Wladimir Palant wrote: - they appear blurry. That's probably because there is so much grey. I tried them with #E0E0E0 background - it is better, but still...
-Blurry?

-excuse I am french :)

efdur.

pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

"flou" :-)
Wladimir Palant

efdur, not ADB - ABP :)