Advanced Live Journal Filter

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the forum of a filter list project, such as EasyList
JAB Creations

Advanced Live Journal Filter

Post by JAB Creations »

Live Journal's top section with their login area is blocked by this filter in my subscription that I maintain...

*popup*

I was wondering how I could add an exception to specifically that filter instead of simply creating an exception for the site to all my filters?

Point: I would like to combine *popup* and *livejournal.com* in to a single filter.

Thanks!
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

Add

Code: Select all

@@livejournal.com*popup
or modify *popup* to

Code: Select all

popup$~stylesheet
A few pointers: Leading and trailing asterisks aren't necessary (*popup* is the same as popup) and you can create subscription link for your filter subscription.
What, me worry?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

This filter is bound to have false positives, you simply shouldn't use it. Replace it by more specific filters, like */popup/*
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

Not in any way to be rude but is there any chance you know of a site that my original filter would negatively effect (besides livejournal)? I'm looking for examples of sites other people would visit that I normally wouldn't to make my subscription that much better. Thanks!
Stupid Head

Post by Stupid Head »

Removed: Keeping true to my namesake :lol:
Last edited by Stupid Head on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What, me worry?
rick752

Post by rick752 »

JAB Creations wrote:Not in any way to be rude but is there any chance you know of a site that my original filter would negatively effect (besides livejournal)? I'm looking for examples of sites other people would visit that I normally wouldn't to make my subscription that much better. Thanks!
There are sites that use *popup* to display many site related things. Popups are not always ads. I have run across other sites (I'm wanted to say CNN for image popups but I'm not sure).

I've been making filters for a couple of years ... everything is written the way it is for a reason in mine.

BTW John ... not to sound ALSO rude, but this forum is for the ABP development and is used by at least a half dozen filter developers. Coming in here as a newbie with a signature that says,"Check my site out for the best adblock subscription list" would be perceived here as rude, insulting, presumptuous, and for the most part "false" to the others that also make filters here (I saw your list).

Using a signature with your listname/link is fine ... just leave all of the over the top "Mine is the best" stuff out of it, please. This is not an advertisement forum.
Last edited by rick752 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

Thanks for the examples!

Is this what the final filter should look like then?
/popup/$~stylesheet
rick752

Post by rick752 »

Stupid Head wrote:Removed: Keeping true to my namesake :lol:
Aw crap, Stu ... I missed it. What did you do? Was it like the, "all regexps convert into simple exps" again? :lol:
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

Thanks but this is something better suited for a PM. :roll:
rick752 wrote:
JAB Creations wrote:Not in any way to be rude but is there any chance you know of a site that my original filter would negatively effect (besides livejournal)? I'm looking for examples of sites other people would visit that I normally wouldn't to make my subscription that much better. Thanks!
There are sites that use *popup* to display many site related things. Popups are not always ads. I have run across other sites (I'm wanted to say CNN for image popups but I'm not sure).

I've been making filters for a couple of years ... everything is written the way it is for a reason in mine.

BTW John ... not to sound ALSO rude, but this forum is for the ABP development and is used by at least a half dozen filter developers. Coming in here as a newbie with a signature that says,"Check my site out for the best adblock subscription list" would be perceived here as rude, insulting, presumptuous, and for the most part "false" to the others that also make filters here (I saw your list).

Using a signature with your listname/link is fine ... just leave all of the over the top "Mine is the best" stuff out of it, please. This is not an advertisement forum.
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

regexps?
rick752

Post by rick752 »

@ John - JAB Creations:

Thanks ..... :)
JAB Creations

Post by JAB Creations »

No prob, I can see how it would irk some.

How does the latest version of the popup filter look btw?
rick752

Post by rick752 »

JAB Creations wrote:regexps?
It's an inside joke between Stu and myself from MY forum (I think that's where it was ... or was it here? Sux to get old!)
rick752

Post by rick752 »

JAB Creations wrote:How does the latest version of the popup filter look btw?
What did you use? I have about 3 different ones with "popup" with their own variations. Is there a link you can point me at where it is used?

(believe it or not ... we DO help each other in here. At least I will...)