Videos no longer play on 4oD with Adblock enabled

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
perspeculum

Videos no longer play on 4oD with Adblock enabled

Post by perspeculum »

Hi,

It was working yesterday, not working today!

The Channel 4 on-demand website 4oD (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od) either:
i) now no longer plays videos, displaying the error 'Please disable any ad blocking software' (or words to that effect)
or ii) displays the adverts as normal.

Nothing has changed in my browser - I can only assume they've updated the site somehow.

Running Chrome 16.0.912.75 (latest version) on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Running experimental build 1.2.0.760 of ABP. Filters running are the recommended chrome ones, Fanboy and Easylist, all updated.

Like I said, worked last night and now it's gone!

Thanks guys.
Pridit

Re: Videos no longer play on 4oD with Adblock enabled

Post by Pridit »

Yep I'm having the exact same issue, is there any way to bypass this? I'm pretty sick of them forcing advertisements on videos when you can watch other shows perfectly fine on BBC iPlayer without having to go through any advertisements.
perspeculum

Post by perspeculum »

Incidentally, the problem persists when using Chrome 17.0.963.38, nothing else changed.
perspeculum

Post by perspeculum »

Pridit wrote:Yep I'm having the exact same issue, is there any way to bypass this? I'm pretty sick of them forcing advertisements on videos when you can watch other shows perfectly fine on BBC iPlayer without having to go through any advertisements.
Although not relevant to the bug, there are no adverts on iPlayer because the BBC don't advertise. Channel 4 is a commercial channel and therefore does. I only point this out in case someone posts a bug about iPlayer etc - no adverts on there full stop!
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

It seems there is no other way than watching the ads: forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9399

Post by Guest »

MonztA wrote:It seems there is no other way than watching the ads: forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9399
Added Easylist to my subscriptions and now the video just plays on 4oD, thanks a lot man.
perspeculum

Post by perspeculum »

Confirmed - the lists have been updated to whitelist the adverts it seems. I suppose this now goes back to how ABP blocks the adverts.

I don't imagine it will be just 4oD that is affected either - after all, their player will be used on other sites I'm sure.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

What 4oD, and all other sites that claim to detect ad-blockers, actually detect is the failure to load some resource; they cannot actually tell that you're using ABP or any other particular extension, just that somehow, some way, some ad-script or tracking bug or something else failed to load. It may be possible to extend ABP to fake out the more popular scripts (just as ABP for Chrome actually replaces blocked image-requests with a blank 1x1-pixel PNG) by using a surrogate, as NoScript does, but maybe that would be better done by Maone himself in a port of NoScript to Chrome: http://hackademix.net/2011/09/29/script ... reference/
(NOTE: The reason that ABP for Chrome uses an image replacement is not really to fake out any site, but rather to avoid the garish error message that results when the WebRequest API blocks content; ABP for Chrome also uses a special data: URI when blocking HTML content in frames, while ABP for Firefox does none of these things because nsIContentPolicy doesn't cause those error messages to show when content is blocked.)
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

That said, having something script surrogate's (or something similar) would be an awesome feature in adblock... useful for helping blocks of google-analytics blocking, or webtrends, omniture or other problematic tracking scripts, without endless whitelisting
bazfanv2

Post by bazfanv2 »

Its not working on Firefox (latest) either. I hate Ads.
tomwrong

Post by tomwrong »

It's often a lot easier to find the torrent. Granted, sometmies it's not threre but i'd rther go without that be brain washed.
radanopon

Post by radanopon »

This issue has once again resurfaced. With adbock enabled, videos won't play!