Adblock Plus 3.0.1 for Firefox released · 2017-11-08 15:41 by Wladimir Palant
This release adds many translations which were missing in the Adblock Plus 3.0 release. There are no changes beyond that.
Adblock Browser 1.3.1 for Android released · 2017-11-06 17:38 by Mario König
During the rollout of Adblock Browser 1.3.0 we’ve discovered a bug which caused the application to consistently crash after the upgrade. Only devices with a specific configuration were affected, but it was noticeable enough for us to stop the rollout and submit an update which addresses this issue right away.
- Fixed a bug which caused Adblock Browser to crash under specific circumstances after upgrading to the latest version. (Issue 5989)
Adblock Plus 3.0 for Firefox released · 2017-11-06 14:21 by Wladimir Palant
With Mozilla disallowing classic extensions in Firefox 57, Adblock Plus 3.0 is our first version based on the Web Extensions framework as announced before. The significant changes introduced here are unfortunate but sadly unavoidable. This is particularly visible in the user interface:
- The ABP icon in the toolbar will now display the number of blocked ads (optional, can be disabled). This replaces the status information in the tooltip.
- The toolbar icon will no longer open a native menu but rather a pop-up. This one uses an old design, we want to improve it soon.
- The options page is not a native dialog but a web page now. It should be easier to use, but it is lacking much of the functionality that Firefox users got used to. We plan to add more functionality to it in future.
- The issue reporter works mostly the same as it did before, but it won’t flag common issues locally at this point. Also, it will collect less information than it did before. We’ll keep improving it.
- The “Block element” dialog offers less assistance than it did before, we will improve that as well.
As to the good news:
- We largely fixed the performance degradation which has been an issue since we switched to a different storage format with Adblock Plus 2.9. The root issue is going to be addressed in Firefox 57.
- The experimental element hiding emulation syntax is now available in Firefox as well.
- Blocking WebRTC connections is also possible in Firefox now.
With this being a massive change, there are some known issues left which should be addressed in another release soon:
- The “Block element” dialog doesn’t work in Firefox 57 under some circumstances (issue 5817).
- On Firefox 57 for Android, the Adblock Plus menu item opens the (partly dysfunctional) pop-up rather than the options page (issue 5977).
- In older Firefox versions such as Firefox 50, saving custom filters won’t update the list and you need to reload the options page to see your changes (issue 5971).
abp:subscribelinks sometimes won’t work in Firefox 57 (issue 5965).
Adblock Browser 1.3.0 for Android released · 2017-11-02 12:18 by Mario König
- Dependency update to the most recent version for Firefox (Issues 5399, 5489, 5675, 5495, 5592, 3994, 3057)
- Permissions are now asked on an as-needed basis
- Improved the design of video controls
- New media controls in the notification bar
- Added support for live streaming video
- Added ability to hide WebFonts to save data
- Added support for Arabic and other right-to-left languages
- Multiple stability/performance improvements
- Updated ABP extension and improved integration with the app (Issue 5536)
- Added Ecosia as an optional search engine (Issues 5518, 4655, 5375)
Adblock Plus 1.13.4 for Chrome and Opera released · 2017-09-26 15:39 by Hubert Figuière
This release features improvements to the emulation filters, which allow to block ads on Facebook again. It also includes some bug fixes and changes under the hood.
- Properly handle hiding emulation in dynamically generated content (issue 5000 and 5438).
- Properly select the element when selecting pseudo-elements style properties in hiding emulation filters (issue 5339).
- Fixed some issue with
:-abp-has()(issue 5436 and 5422).
- Fixed an issue that caused added custom filters to show up twice in the options (issue 4978).
- Improved user notifications (issue 5558, 5460 and 5459).
Adblock Browser 2.0.0 for iOS released · 2017-09-19 14:28 by Mario König
- Introduced a completely new user interface and an improved user experience. (Issue 4706, Issue 4707, Issue 4736, Issue 4737, Issue 4738, Issue 4739, Issue 4741, Issue 4742, Issue 4743, Issue 4745, Issue 4745, Issue 5122)
- Introduced Ghost Mode for private browsing. (Issue 4744)
- Fixed minor bugs and introduced stability improvements. (Issue 5485, Issue 5486, Issue 5494, Issue 5532)
Adblock Browser 1.2.0 for Android released · 2017-08-17 09:42 by Diego Lima
- Improved app look and feel and UX (Issues 2512, 2513, 2606, 3199, 3769, 5005, 5469 and 5470).
- Updated ABP extension and improved integration with the app (Issues 2853, 3070, 3247 and 4278).
- Improved translations (Issue 5451).
- Fixed an issue that would cause the virtual keyboard to not show up (Issue 3831).
- Several fixes that improves performance and stability (Issues 3668, 3820, 4889 and 5423).
Adblock Plus for Samsung Internet 1.1.1 released · 2017-07-12 14:04 by Mario König
- Fixed a bug that caused ABP to freeze when changing filter lists. (Issue 5223)
- Implemented underline formatting to Korean. (Issue 5260)
- Enlarged descriptions length to avoid clipped texts. (Issue 5243)
Adblock Plus 1.13.3 for Chrome and Opera released · 2017-07-12 11:57 by Dave Barker
This release features a number of ad blocking improvements, bug fixes and some changes under the hood.
- Added WebRTC connection blocking support, since those connections were being abused by some websites to serve advertising (issue 4455, 5087 and 5092).
- Added support for the new advanced
#?#element hiding filter syntax, which includes the new
:-abp-haspseudo-class (issue 5094, 5220 and 5117).
- Added a workaround to prevent websites from abusing
contentDocumentAPIs to bypass ad blocking (issue 4586 and 5207).
- Started allowing web requests not associated with a browser tab to be blocked (issue 5042).
- Started using the
webRequestAPI for the blocking of WebSocket connections instead of our workarounds when supported by the browser (issue 5027 and 5130).
- Fixed a bug which prevented the “Hide targeted messages?” notifications from being displayed until the browser was restarted (issue 5019 and 5023).
- Reduced the number of “Blocked script execution…” warnings that Adblock Plus causes (issue 4494).
Adblock Browser 1.5.3 for iOS released · 2017-07-04 11:05 by Mario König
- Fixed a bug that caused ad blocking to stop working temporarily when visiting resource-heavy websites. (Issue 5227)
- Fixed a bug that caused Adblock Browser to crash under specific circumstances. (Issue 5213)