Adblock Plus 2.8 for Firefox released · 2016-10-25 12:38 by Wladimir Palant
This release changes the way element hiding works in Firefox, so that noticeable delays from changing a single element hiding rule should be no more. Also, the behavior should be more consistent now and filters not applying on a particular website should no longer be able to cause unexpected side-effects. On the downside, changes to element hiding rules will only apply after a page is reloaded now (which is actually consistent with blocking rules).
- There is a special
$websockettype option now to block WebSocket requests, the type was previously considered to be
- Our toolbar icon will look better on high-resolution screens (issue 4142).
- Removed feature selection from the first-run page until the features can be removed similarly easily (issue 4294).
- Hits for CSS property filters which were introduced in the previous release are being counted now (issue 3969).
- Fixed: CSS property filters applied even when Adblock Plus was disabled everywhere (issue 4201).
- Fixed: A regression in pop-up blocking functionality caused websites to be mistakenly considered pop-ups under some circumstances (issue 4335).
- Corrected handling of frames with
- Fixed and improved search functionality in Filter Preferences, was partially broken in Firefox nightly builds (issue 4510).
Adblock Browser 1.5.1 for iOS released · 2016-10-10 12:15 by Mario König
- Updated the core of Adblock Browser to Adblock Plus for Chrome/Opera/Safari 1.12.2 (Issue 4334)
- Fixed a bug which caused Adblock Browser to crash under specific circumstances on iOS 10 (Issue 4435)
- Fixed multiple bugs which caused occasional crashes (Issue 4436, Issue 4438, Issue 4440, Issue 4446)
- Added support for reCAPTCHA (Issue 4414)
Adblock Plus 1.12.3 for Safari released · 2016-09-21 13:17 by Dave Barker
Install Adblock Plus 1.12.3 for Safari (Safari 6 or higher required)
This is an emergency release, only for Safari, which fixes compatibility with Safari 10. Starting with Safari 10 Technical Preview Release 11, Apple made a change which broke Adblock Plus. Safari 10 was then released before our fix (issue 4150) could be released normally. As a result we are forced to perform this emergency release.
Builds for Chrome and Opera were generated as well. But since there were no changes compared to the previous release, we didn’t upload these to their respective web stores.
Event.initEvent()calls for compatibility with Safari 10 (issue 4150).
Adblock Browser 1.5.0 for iOS released · 2016-09-12 14:45 by Mario König
- Fixed multiple issues which caused instability or crashes (Issue 4216, Issue 4219, Issue 4220, Issue 4222, Issue 4238)
- Added autocompletion of URLs in the URL bar (Issue 4032)
- Added autocompletion of search terms in the URL bar (Issue 4033)
- Updated Adblock Plus to the most recent version (Issue 4095)
Adblock Plus 1.12.2 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2016-08-23 17:51 by Dave Barker
This is a minor release, focused on stability and preventing circumvention.
- Prevent websites from abusing WebSockets to serve adverts (issue 1727).
- Improved Element Hiding protections against circumvention (issue 4191, 4298).
- Fixed a bug that caused content in anonymous frames to be blocked even when the parent frame was whitelisted (issue 4150).
- Worked around an issue with MutationObservers which caused older versions of Chrome and Opera to hang for some websites (issue 4101).
- Added more versions of our icons that look sharper with the new Material Design (issue 4218).
- Removed an outdated workaround that caused some whitelisted elements to be hidden in anonymous frames (issue 4210).
- Fixed a bug that caused the options page to be sometimes opened multiple times when the experimental Content Blocking feature was enabled (issue 4199).
- Improved the conversion from Adblock Plus filters to Content Blocking rules for the experimental Content Blocking feature, making sure to block/whitelist all subdomains for filters starting with
- Fixed a typo that broke key-based whitelisting (issue 4300).
Element Hiding Helper 1.3.9 for Adblock Plus released · 2016-08-02 14:18 by Wladimir Palant
Adblock Browser 1.4.0 for iOS released · 2016-06-29 11:05 by Mario König
- Added “in page” search functionality via URL bar (Issue 3929)
- Added the ability to open websites in Adblock Browser from Safari using Safari App Extensions (Issue 3901)
- Added the possibility to show the settings bar by tapping the bottom of the screen as well as the possibility to scroll to the top of the page by tapping the status bar (Issue 3859, Issue 3932)
- Deferred the location permission dialog to when websites actually request the user’s location (Issue 3898)
- Implemented multiple minor user experience improvements (Issue 3812, Issue 4003, Issue 4016)
- Fixed multiple bugs which caused ABB to crash under specific circumstances (Issue 3534, Issue 3925, Issue 4002, Issue 4074, Issue 4166)
- Fixed multiple additional minor bugs (Issue 3897, Issue 4035, Issue 4064)
Adblock Plus 1.12.1 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2016-06-28 12:56 by Dave Barker
This is a minor release, including some bug fixes and performance improvements.
- Further improved element hiding performance, reducing overall page load times (issue 4075).
- Fixed a bug that stopped Adblock Plus filter subscription links from working for old versions of Chrome and Opera (issue 4065).
- Fixed a regression, introduced with the previous release, that stopped adverts from being blocked on YouTube when using older versions of Safari that still relied on the Flash player (issue 4141).
- Fixed a minor bug when converting
$documentexception rules to Safari Content Blocking rules (issue 4076, issue 4072).
Adblock Plus 1.12 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2016-06-01 15:03 by Sebastian Noack
This release features experimental Safari Content Blocking support. So if you’re on Safari 9, you can try out the new (faster) blocking mechanism now by enabling it in the options. But please read the announcement first; as that feature is still experimental and Content Blockers have some limitations, there are some caveats. However, Content Blockers will eventually completely replace the old mechanism we relied on so far on Safari.
There also have been some bug fixes and other improvements for all platforms which are listed below, and some changes under the hood which aren’t visible to the user.
- Improved performance of element hiding, reducing page load times (issue 235, issue 4038, issue 4036).
- Fixed a regression, introduced with the previous release, which caused the Adblock Warning Removal List to not be added anymore (issue 3772).
- Prevent websites from circumventing element hiding by removing or disabling the stylesheet (issue 3699).
- Prevent websites from showing previously blocked elements (issue 3840).
- Added an option to hide the Adblock Plus developer tools panel (issue 3796).
- Prevent websites from tricking users into adding subscriptions by simulating clicks on abp:subscribe links (issue 3828).
- Worked around a Chrome bug that broke the feedback functionality on blogger.com (issue 2687).
- Administrators deploying Adblock Plus via group policy can now configure additional subscriptions (issue 3801).
- Starting with this release, there are unified builds for Chrome and Opera, using the exact same code on both browsers (issue 3760).
- Added experimental support for Safari Content Blocking (see above, issue 3687).
- Fixed: Wrong domain was whitelisted by icon menu after navigating through the history (issue 3924).
Adblock Browser 1.3.2 for iOS released · 2016-05-12 09:02 by Mario König
- Fixed a bug which caused multiple UI elements to be unresponsive after a version update (Issue 3811)
- Fixed a bug which caused Adblock Browser to render websites incorrectly under specific circumstances (Issue 3954)
- Fixed a bug which caused Adblock Browser to lose history data and bookmarks during a version update (Issue 3983)