Adblock Plus 1.8.1 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-05-07 15:10 by Sebastian Noack
Unfortunately, YouTube updated their website around the same time we released Adblock Plus for Safari yesterday, and partially broke blocking of videos ads in Safari (issue 438). But the good news are that we were quickly able to fix it, blocking all ads on YouTube again.
This release also fixes a regression with the “Block Element” context menu entry, which was broken in Chrome and Opera (issue 437). And we fixed an issue with the Dutch and Estonian translation which prevented installation from Chrome Web Store depending on selected language.
Adblock Plus 1.8 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2014-05-06 14:00 by Sebastian Noack
Adblock Plus for Safari is out of beta and this is the first release where we release for Safari, Chrome and Opera simultaneously. Adblock Plus for Safari is mostly on par with Adblock Plus for Chrome and Opera. There are currently some limitations however when it comes to blocking popups, XMLHttpRequests and requests initiated by Flash. Most of these are limitations in Safari that will hopefully be addressed in future Safari versions.
We also added a notification that shows up the first time users visit websites which show obtrusive anti-adblock messages, asking them whether to block those or not. This was ported from Adblock Plus for Firefox, where we introduced it in February (issue 174).
In order to hide elements we have to inject a stylesheet into the web page. However, changing an arbitrary web page always introduces the chance to break something. So we are now using Shadow DOM if available (that’s almost all supported Chrome and Opera versions). This allows us to hide our stylesheet from the web page itself (issue 309).
Chrome 35 is now in beta and has changed quite a few things in particular for extensions. So this release includes changes to restore compatibility with Chrome 35. At the same time we have dropped support for versions older than Chrome 28. Adblock Plus already suffered from some limitations on older Chrome versions, but with recent changes it is no longer possible to support Chrome 18 to 27.
- Fixed: Wrong filter was sometimes created by “Block Element” dialog when matching elements by class.
- Fixed various issues with the emergency notification mechanism.
- The icon indicating whether Adblock Plus is enabled/disabled is correctly set on startup now.
- Added high-resolution icons for Retina displays (issue 4).
- Fixed issues with unknown frames and memory leaks while keeping track of frames (issue 178).
- Fixed race condition sometimes preventing initialization on first run (issue 337).
Element Hiding Helper 1.3 released · 2014-04-22 10:58 by Wladimir Palant
- Fixed: Integration with the Inspector tool broken in current Firefox versions (issue 5).
- Fixed: Filter Composer suggests empty domain name for host names with a trailing dot (forum topic).
- Fixed: Element Hiding Helper menu item isn’t added in some windows (forum topic).
- Fixed: Element Hiding Helper menu item doesn’t show up if Adblock Plus icon is placed in the Australis panel (issue 229).
- Fixed: Shortcut key on OS X is Ctrl-Shift-K rather than Cmd-Shift-K.
Adblock Plus 2.6 for Firefox released · 2014-04-22 09:42 by Wladimir Palant
The main focus of this release were performance improvements.
- Made sure Adblock Plus initialization doesn’t delay Firefox startup (issue 117).
- Switched to a faster way to access Adblock Plus data on disk (issue 153).
- Fixed regression in Adblock Plus 2.5.1: Adblock Plus initialization takes longer for each new window opened (issue 238).
- Fixed: Firefox Sync integration sometimes won’t work (issue 261).
- Fixed: Filter search in Filter Preferences was broken in newer Firefox versions.
- Fixed: Wrong button type displayed for Adblock Plus immediately after customizing toolbar in Firefox 29 and above (bug 981543).
- Fixed: Homepage link is displayed in Filter Preference even if the subscription doesn’t define a homepage (issue 48).
- Fixed: Pop-up blocker won’t work in some scenarios (issue 341).
- Various code cleanup tasks (issue 137, issue 301, issue 354).
Adblock Plus 1.2.1 for Android released · 2014-04-03 11:22 by Wladimir Palant
If you already have Adblock Plus for Android, it should notify you about the update shortly and download it automatically.
Important note: We strongly encourage you to install this release as soon as possible, it fixes a security issue present in all previous Adblock Plus for Android versions.
In addition to that, this fixes a bug in the previous version that caused development builds to be offered as updates for the release version. Because of that issue most Adblock Plus for Android users are using development builds now so this release will be offered as an update for development builds as well. This unfortunately also includes users who explicitly chose to install development builds — if that’s true for you please install Adblock Plus 126.96.36.1999 for Android manually to get back to the development build channel.
Adblock Plus 2.5.1 for Firefox released · 2014-02-20 19:06 by Thomas Greiner
This release introduces a new notification that shows up the first time users visit a website which show obtrusive anti-adblock messages asking them whether to block those or not. Apart from this addition it also includes the following changes:
- Fixed: Pipe character in filters interpreted wrong under some circumstances
- Fixed: Share window on first-run page doesn’t appear
Adblock Plus 1.7.3 for Chrome and Opera released · 2014-01-29 17:38 by Wladimir Palant
This release fixes pop-up blocking that was broken in the previous release. It also addresses a long standing issue, the size of the “Block element” dialog wasn’t always set correctly.
Adblock Plus for Safari Beta released · 2014-01-21 15:56 by Sebastian Noack
I spent the past months porting Adblock Plus to Safari. And by now, we’ve got something that is stable enough to release as a beta. Adblock Plus for Safari uses mostly the same codebase as Adblock Plus for Chrome/Opera. So it has the same features and every improvement we do in the future for either browser extension will automatically land in the extension for the other browsers.
Adblock Plus 2.4.1 for Firefox released · 2014-01-14 17:04 by Wladimir Palant
This release introduces support for the Australis theme that will be introduced in future Firefox versions. Other changes:
- Default icon location is the navigation toolbar again (add-on bar is going away).
- Fixed image preview in the list of blockable items (forum topic).
- Fixed keyboard shortcut on Mac OS X (Control key was used instead of Command).
- Fixed: Changes to Adblock Plus options didn’t always persist.
Adblock Plus 1.7.2 for Chrome and Opera released · 2013-12-19 14:36 by Wladimir Palant
The previous release introduced issues with some old Chrome versions (reported for Chrome 24 and 25), element hiding wouldn’t work there. These have now been fixed. Also, the download size has been reduced again.