Adblock Plus 2.7.1 for Firefox released · 2016-01-19 15:08 by Wladimir Palant
With this release Adblock Plus becomes fully compatible with the upcoming multi-process mode in Firefox, it no longer relies on backwards compatibility hacks in Firefox (issue 3259, issue 3407, issue 3449, issue 3465, issue 3486, issue 3494). This also means that the screenshot functionality in Issue Reporter is fully functional now (issue 3375), and also quite fast (issue 3504).
- Improved performance:
patterns.iniwas being saved way more often than necessary (issue 3473).
- $ping filter option is back and will especially apply to requests sent via navigator.sendBeacon() (issue 3452).
- Requests produced by
<picture>will be assigned type
- Requests produced by the Fetch API will be assigned type
generichidetypes will no longer show up in the filter assistant (issue 3478).
- Fixed: Previously disabled and removed filter is still disabled when added back (issue 3451).
As the previous release changed Adblock Plus quite drastically, it inevitably introduced some issues. As far as we know, all of these have been resolved:
- Pop-up blocking doesn’t catch redirects to a different domain (issue 3458).
- Issue Reporter gets stuck if filter subscriptions need updating (issue 3461, issue 3464).
- Screenshot marker in Issue Reporter is no longer red (issue 3503).
- Fixed image preview in Blockable Items tooltip (issue 3491).
- Element hiding functionality isn’t working on Mac OS X when multi-process mode is enabled (bug 1187099). Mozilla is working on this.
Adblock Browser 1.2.1 for iOS released · 2016-01-14 10:34 by Mario König
- Fixed: Fixed bug that caused crashes for users who accessed the History tab with more than 200+ entries. (Issue 3265)
Adblock Plus 1.10 for Chrome, Opera and Safari released · 2016-01-05 13:44 by Dave Barker
This update adds the new CSS property filter syntax which should give filter list authors an additional tool against the circumvention of Adblock Plus. We have also created a page which will be shown when Adblock Plus is uninstalled. We are hoping to gain insight into the overall user experience and what we can improve.
- Added support for the new CSS property filter syntax (issue 2397).
- Improved how the first run page looks on smaller screens (issue 1292).
- Added a feedback page that is displayed when Adblock Plus is uninstalled (issue 3269).
- Reintroduced the $ping filter option (issue 3452).
- Adapted for changes in Chrome 49 which allows for the context of web requests to be matched more reliably (issue 3453).
- Changed the way we detect the browser name and version (issue 3415).
- Avoid matching web requests with the type
OTHERwhen using the
$fontfilter option (issue 3454).
Element Hiding Helper 1.3.6 for Adblock Plus released · 2016-01-05 13:15 by Wladimir Palant
Customizations 1.0.4 for Adblock Plus released · 2016-01-05 13:10 by Wladimir Palant
- References to “add-on bar” have been replaced by “toolbar” (issue 1140).
- Displaying toolbar icon as text has been disabled in latest Firefox versions, Australis theme doesn’t support it (issue 1155).
- Fixed: “Toolbar item display” option keeps switching to default rather than showing the selected value (issue 1156).
- The special icon for “whitelisted” websites has been updated to better match the current Adblock Plus icon (issue 2269).
Diagnostics 1.3.1 for Adblock Plus released · 2016-01-05 13:07 by Wladimir Palant
Diagnostics 1.3 for Adblock Plus released · 2015-12-15 13:12 by Wladimir Palant
Diagnostics 1.3 has seen significant changes in order to support Adblock Plus 2.7 which we released today. Due to the extent of the changes it is no longer compatible with older Adblock Plus versions, unfortunately. We will publish Diagnostics on AMO now in order to have signed development builds but it’s still an internal helper, so use at your own risk.
- The confusing “ignore early returns” checkbox is gone — Diagnostics is no longer able to track low-level actions, so it generally cannot detect low-level calls that aren’t being forwarded to the upper level. However, there are relatively few such cases remaining in Adblock Plus now.
- The columns Context, Document and Additional have been removed as well — this kind of low-level context information is no longer available to Diagnostics (and neither to Adblock Plus when it is making decisions).
- On the other hand, the Request origin data has been extended. The tooltip will now show the entire frame hierarchy for a request, not only the location of the frame immediately responsible.
- There is also a new column called Private. This one will indicate whether a request is associated with a private browsing window.
- The Type column will no longer attempt to localize the type, instead the internal type identifier will be displayed (corresponds with filter options).
Adblock Plus 2.7 for Firefox released · 2015-12-15 12:42 by Wladimir Palant
This release addresses most of the issues affecting Adblock Plus in the latest Firefox pre-release builds, particularly when multi-process mode is enabled in Firefox settings. While Adblock Plus was mostly working in multi-process mode before, it was also very slow — this is not a user experience we want our users to have when Mozilla starts rolling out multi-process mode to Firefox Beta users today. In order to support multiple processes properly we had to implement massive changes to the core functionality of Adblock Plus. These changes should have almost no visible effect other than improved performance however.
- If pop-ups are blocked after the redirect, the pop-up window will actually be closed and not merely prevented from loading (issue 443).
- The diagnostic page under
chrome://adblockplus/content/errors.htmlhas been removed, it was of very limited use (issue 3357).
- Element hiding functionality isn’t working on Mac OS X when multi-process mode is enabled (bug 1187099). Given the lack of progress on Mozilla’s side, we will have to come up with some work-around later on.
- Issue reporter doesn’t create screenshots when multi-process mode is enabled (issue 3375). To be addressed in the next release.
- “Unsafe CPOW usage” warnings will still show up in Error Console sometimes when multi-process mode is enabled, most prominently when using the list of blockable items (issue 3407). To be addressed in the next release.
- Selection in the list of blockable items isn’t remembered reliably when multi-process mode is enabled (issue 3259). To be addressed in the next release.
Adblock Browser 1.2.0 for iOS released · 2015-12-14 13:41 by Mario König
- Added a crash reporter in order to be able to react faster to upcoming problems (Issue 3272)
- Added swipe gestures to navigate back and forth (Issue 3111)
- Added options to clear browsing data, history, cache, cookies etc. (Issue 3147)
- Added the possibility to save and download images (Issue 3160)
- Added an easier way to access the Dashboard and Bookmarks by tapping the url bar (Issue 3121)
- Added minor graphical and usage-specific improvements (Issue 3126, Issue 3155, Issue 3240, Issue 3239)
- Fixed: Fixed multiple issues around display of nonintrusive ads (Issue 3073, Issue 3110)
- Fixed: Fixed various bugs to improve usability (Issue 3123, Issue 3329, Issue 3317, Issue 3044, Issue 3077, Issue 3214, Issue 3215)
Element Hiding Helper 1.3.5 released · 2015-11-25 17:51 by Wladimir Palant
This release fixes a critical issue in the latest Firefox nightly build. It also fixes the Element Hiding Helper user interface in Thunderbird and SeaMonkey Mail (issue 3071).