Adblock Plus 0.6 needs a new name

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Lou Ferrigno

Adblock Plus 0.6 needs a new name

Post by Lou Ferrigno »

I know that Wladimir won't discuss this anymore, but even he must agree that the endlessly discussions about this extension and the drama with the ratings (I guess that over 60% of all comments have been removed because of very negative comments) on the Mozilla Update page can't be what he've expected to do. Please be wisely and think about a new name for your extension. Your version of Adblock Plus has changed so much that it confuses so many people that they will always compare it to version 0.5+ which had so much functions. From your point of view you think you had done it right, mcm has given you the responsibilty of Adblock Plus and laid the future of this fantastic extension in your hand, but you reduced and changed it in a way that noone who really loved Adblock Plus is able to reckognize it anymore. I don't want to discuss here if the changes were good or bad, there are enough threads who discuss this problem. But think about the new way of your extension and say if it's not time to beginn this new way with your version with a name that fits to your philosphy of your imagination of a good Adblock MOD? "Adblock Lite" or something like this would sound very nice and it shows what you wanted to aim, to remove all unnecessary code from Adblock and Adblock Plus and to make it lighter, what (there is no doubt in it) it is. I think renaming it would be a sign of good will from your side to stop this WAR, what somebody would prefere to call it.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Lou Ferrigno

Post by Lou Ferrigno »

I've just read this Wlad, but these are just promises, and it's fact that you decided to direct this extension in a new way. I can just form an opinion about something I see and what I see is not Ablock Plus anymore. Perhaps you can convince me with a coming version, but we will see. At the actual state I don't see that the name Adblock Plus is justified. But be sure that I'll keep my eyes open and that I will try a new version if it comes out.
guido

Post by guido »

There is something that a lot of people forget: Adblockplus 0.5 is Adblock code with bugfixes and some improvements. Since mcm has joined to Adblock crew and he will implement their bugfixes and improvements in Adblock - core code is exactly the same - and Adblockplus 0.5 will not have upgrades - only maintenance and bug fixes, according to mcm - people still using ABP 0.5 will switch back to Adblock, and Adblockplus 0.5 will be doomed. So you will be able to choose between Adblock and Adblockplus 0.6, the name is not going to be an issue, and for this reason mcm decided to hand over the extension development to wp, they could not imagine this outreageous reaction from some people, it is a total madness. I am not sure that really the problem is only the name, too absurd for me, people cannot be so fanatic or stupid, ithere must be another reason.
Wladimir Palant

It's not many people we are talking about. Most people calmed down very soon once it became clear the name Adblock Plus wasn't stolen. They looked at the extension and they either liked it or they didn't. The ones who are trolling on addons.mozilla.org appear to be at most 3-4 potheads - it is obvious because the comments are so similar (often almost the same text with different names, sometimes telling weird stories to avoid deletion).

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:It's not many people we are talking about. Most people calmed down very soon once it became clear the name Adblock Plus wasn't stolen. They looked at the extension and they either liked it or they didn't. The ones who are trolling on addons.mozilla.org appear to be at most 3-4 potheads - it is obvious because the comments are so similar (often almost the same text with different names, sometimes telling weird stories to avoid deletion).
That doesn't sound like a good attitude of you, Wlad. How can you be sure that there a just 3-4 potheads? That also means that you don't believe in the rating system (since so many posts has been removed and only posts with 5 stars seems to remain I don't trust it anymore, too), so that you aren't interested to meet halfway to the people who are critzing your comment. It also sounds that you denie that your comment caused this big confusion under the Adblock Plus users. I respect that you want to try to develop mcm's hard work, but by throwing away everything over board what was the trademark of Adblock Plus 0.5 don't seem to me the right way to show him the respect.
Jim

Post by Jim »

guido wrote:There is something that a lot of people forget: Adblockplus 0.5 is Adblock code with bugfixes and some improvements. Since mcm has joined to Adblock crew and he will implement their bugfixes and improvements in Adblock - core code is exactly the same - and Adblockplus 0.5 will not have upgrades - only maintenance and bug fixes, according to mcm - people still using ABP 0.5 will switch back to Adblock, and Adblockplus 0.5 will be doomed. So you will be able to choose between Adblock and Adblockplus 0.6, the name is not going to be an issue, and for this reason mcm decided to hand over the extension development to wp, they could not imagine this outreageous reaction from some people, it is a total madness. I am not sure that really the problem is only the name, too absurd for me, people cannot be so fanatic or stupid, ithere must be another reason.
Adblock Plus 0.5 contains so much functions that more updates won't make any sense. MCM has done what he could, his work is done and fulfiled! It's just important that it will be kept maintained and bugfixed. So I can't follow your logic that it will be doomed. People who likes Adblock Plus 0.5 won't switch to Adblock Plus 0.6 or the original Adblock so long as the desired functions are missing. I'll also keep an eye on the further progress of Adblock Plus 0.6, and when I see that it's worthy enough to call itself a real successor and replacement of Adblock Plus 0.5 I will switch, perhaps. But it could be a long, long, long time till this will happen. It's also funny that you are speaking of madness and you need to call Adblock Plus 0.5 users stupid. If you like Adblock Plus 0.6 than be happy with it, but there is really no need to be so insulting. I also don't think that this is in Wladimir's mind, or am i wrong, Wlad?
NJH

Post by NJH »

Anonymous wrote:....but by throwing away everything over board what was the trademark of Adblock Plus 0.5 ...
I am getting a bit tired of all this trolling, so this is going to be my last comment in this thread. The trademark of Adblock Plus and its reason for being is the first place was white listing, and white listing only. This 0.6 provides. Everything else (div blocking, supporting sites etc) are later add ons.
Wladimir Palant

@Guest: I do care about the comments of anybody who installed Adblock Plus 0.6, tried using it for at least 10 minutes and can tell me why he didn't like it. I don't care about anybody crying out "there are sooooo much less features now" or "this is not the real thing" without even naming his problems. So far I have added almost every feature where somebody could explain why it is needed. I even think of adding a minimal "DIV blocking" functionality (not the powerful thing I'm talking about in http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/faq.html#divblock but enough for most of the trivial tasks the old DIV blocking was used for). With 0.6.1 in a few days we should have full feature parity with Adblock Plus 0.5 - not counting some useless ones.

So please tell me - what am I throwing away? People who name their problems mostly complain about the unfamiliar user interface. But the old crappy user interface was shared between Adblock and Adblock Plus 0.5 - no Adblock Plus trademarks here.

Btw - yes, ratings are meaningless. The rating system is no religion, it is a solution that has its obvious shortcomings.

Post by Guest »

Jim wrote:
Adblock Plus 0.5 contains so much functions that more updates won't make any sense. MCM has done what he could, his work is done and fulfiled! It's just important that it will be kept maintained and bugfixed. So I can't follow your logic that it will be doomed. People who likes Adblock Plus 0.5 won't switch to Adblock Plus 0.6 or the original Adblock so long as the desired functions are missing. I'll also keep an eye on the further progress of Adblock Plus 0.6, and when I see that it's worthy enough to call itself a real successor and replacement of Adblock Plus 0.5 I will switch, perhaps. But it could be a long, long, long time till this will happen. It's also funny that you are speaking of madness and you need to call Adblock Plus 0.5 users stupid. If you like Adblock Plus 0.6 than be happy with it, but there is really no need to be so insulting. I also don't think that this is in Wladimir's mind, or am i wrong, Wlad?
Jim:
only for clarification
* I do not think that ABP0.5 users are stupid, and I did not say this. I think all the people (FROM BOTH SIDES) trolling, insulting each other and discussing so outrageously just about the name in UMO are stupid or they have other reasons more important that simply the name.
* ABP0.5 will be doomed as soon as mcm implements all the new functionalities in AB standard, and this will be soon and is the reason for him joined to AB crew and handed over ABP future developments to wp. AB and ABP0.5 will be clones, it is the logical way.
*"Adblock Plus 0.5 contains so much functions that more updates won't make any sense", "MCM has done what he could, his work is done and fulfiled! ", "when I see that it's worthy enough to call itself a real successor and replacement of Adblock Plus 0.5", Amen. It seems that you are speaking about some religious or political movement. Hey, these are only software extensions for a web browser, they can always evolve and improve, and they are not going to change the world or something similar, they only block ads when surfing.
And I will use the version that fits better my personal needs, and change as many times as I find a better option.
guido

Post by guido »

sorry, the previous post is mine, I forgot to sign. I think I will have to register.
Maki

Post by Maki »

NJH wrote:
Anonymous wrote:....but by throwing away everything over board what was the trademark of Adblock Plus 0.5 ...
I am getting a bit tired of all this trolling, so this is going to be my last comment in this thread. The trademark of Adblock Plus and its reason for being is the first place was white listing, and white listing only. This 0.6 provides. Everything else (div blocking, supporting sites etc) are later add ons.
Good argument, but this also speaks for using Adblock or Adblock Plus 0.5, and is no argument to switch to Adblock Plus 0.6.

Post by Guest »

Maki wrote:
NJH wrote:
Good argument, but this also speaks for using Adblock or Adblock Plus 0.5, and is no argument to switch to Adblock Plus 0.6.
??????????
Please read the thread title and the previous posts, nobody is discussing about arguments to switch to Adblock Plus 0.6 or not, only about the name.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: ...
And I will use the version that fits better my personal needs, and change as many times as I find a better option.
Amen guido, now you finally understood what I meant to write in so many words. That's why I still stay with Adblock Plus 0.5 and won't switch to Adblock Plus 0.6. And discussing about why someone finds a brilliant extension suddenly deformed is not starting a war, it's just my experience. At last there is no way to speak so free because when I want to make a comment at Mozilla Update it will be removed. I've wroten what I dislike, but Wlad won't have a chance to read it when it always will be removed by some very avidly staff members. But I'll see that we are far away from the theme of this thread, so I suggest to discuss this in another thread. And btw, i don't know where you got you're information, but mcm already said, he will keep bugfixing and maintaining ADP0.5, it won't be doomed! There are still enough who prefere to use this further, and this isn't a religious war, it's just what you said: Using the version that fits better to our personal needs!
Wladimir Palant

@Guest: How about a very stupid suggestion - why don't you write your comments somewhere where I *can* read them? The "very avidly staff members" are very right - AMO comments aren't a support board and I don't always see them even if they are not removed.

PS: Just in case you did it already - I can't distinguish one user calling himself "Guest" from another one doing the same. Posting under some recognizable name (even when not registering) generally is a good idea.